Wind buffeting from rear window

My wife has a 2011 Edge limited 2WD loaded. Yesterday she called me saying there was a terrible noise in the car and her ears hurt over 45 mph. This was a new one on me as I have been driving for 60 years and never heard of this before.I told her to pull into a parking lot and wait till I got there. When I arrive I noticed the driver side rear window was about halfway down. I took her car and put the window up as it was 95 degrees. Drove about 1 mile, no noise. Put the rear window down half way, #### noise you wouldn"t beleive, the car actually seemed to shake. Window up gone. Same with passenger side. Anyone else with this situation? Try yours and see. I think Ford has a air turbulance probem with the rear interior design. Doug-J

My wife has a 2011 Edge limited 2WD loaded. Yesterday she called me saying there was a terrible noise in the car and her ears hurt over 45 mph. This was a new one on me as I have been driving for 60 years and never heard of this before.I told her to pull into a parking lot and wait till I got there. When I arrive I noticed the driver side rear window was about halfway down. I took her car and put the window up as it was 95 degrees. Drove about 1 mile, no noise. Put the rear window down half way, #### noise you wouldn"t beleive, the car actually seemed to shake. Window up gone. Same with passenger side. Anyone else with this situation? Try yours and see. I think Ford has a air turbulance probem with the rear interior design. Doug-J

Almost every car will exhibit the same behavior to some degree. By opening up a single window you create a sealed, resonant cavity that creates the pressure pulses that can cause real discomfort (as you found out). If you crack open a window on the other side, the resonant cavity is eliminated and the sound goes away.

• Like 1

Almost every car will exhibit the same behavior to some degree. By opening up a single window you create a sealed, resonant cavity that creates the pressure pulses that can cause real discomfort (as you found out). If you crack open a window on the other side, the resonant cavity is eliminated and the sound goes away.

Dropping the other back window, at the same time does not make any difference, tried that. Went to Ford dealer this morning and their answer is that it is a "FORD" and the all do this including the trucks. I had a 2004 Ford Lariat that did not do this with the back window open. We love the vehicle so we won't open the back window underway and live with it. Doug-J

I've explained buffeting many times but you, sir, hit the nail on the proverbial head!

When air flow's past an opening in a closed container, it creates a vacuum. In the past (probably most of the cars you been driving in 60 years), cars just weren't sealed up that well, so the vacuum could pull air through the car from all the different leaks. Now with such a focus on NVH, automakers are sealing up cars better than ever before. So there aren't enough leaks in the car to supply enough air to prevent the buffeting noises anymore. There's really almost nothing anyone can do to design around this.

who the heck drives with windows open?

In KS we have

106 in the shade

or -15 in the winter

Thank god the Edge has an awesome AUTO climate setting

We have a couple of weeks that it is warm enough to open them a little. I have even had the roof open a couple of times. I love it!

We have a couple of weeks that it is warm enough to open them a little. I have even had the roof open a couple of times. I love it!

In So Cal its windows down on the streets and A/C cranked on the freeway.

If I'm feeling especially wasteful, I will open the windows and crank the A/C with only floor vents on at the same time.

It's almost as nice as using the heater through the floor vents with the windows/roof open in winter.

• Like 1

I just hate to eat crow but I must on thie topic. I dropped one back window on my Cadillac DTS sedan and lo and behold the same thing. Living in the south I don't open rear windows when driving only when stopped. Learned something new even at 73 years old. Thanks for clearification from our knowlegeable contributors. Doug-J

• Like 2

I just hate to eat crow but I must on thie topic. I dropped one back window on my Cadillac DTS sedan and lo and behold the same thing. Living in the south I don't open rear windows when driving only when stopped. Learned something new even at 73 years old. Thanks for clearification from our knowlegeable contributors. Doug-J

Anybody who rolls their windows down in GA this summer is nuts anyway!

It's almost as nice as using the heater through the floor vents with the windows/roof open in winter.

We have people that break out their convertibles as soon as the snow is gone from the roads and you pass them bundled all up in their heavy winter gear and I am sure the heater full blast - but they are topless gosh darn it... all ways makes me laugh.

We have people that break out their convertibles as soon as the snow is gone from the roads and you pass them bundled all up in their heavy winter gear and I am sure the heater full blast - but they are topless gosh darn it... all ways makes me laugh.

Comfort is a fickle beast ... especially my comfort :lol: