Trailer Hitch

I've been reading a lot about trailer hitches. I have the 2011 Limited. Should I go with an after market or just take it back to the dealer? It sounds fairly difficult having to lower the exhaust and modify the heat shield has anyone put one on themselves? Is it worth the savings do you think? Thanks!

post-17597-0-72087100-1311819885_thumb.jpg

I've been reading a lot about trailer hitches. I have the 2011 Limited. Should I go with an after market or just take it back to the dealer? It sounds fairly difficult having to lower the exhaust and modify the heat shield has anyone put one on themselves? Is it worth the savings do you think? Thanks!

I installed a CURT Class III Hitch - 2" Receiver Product #13067 that I got from Amazon for $140. Lowering the exhaust and modifying the heat shields were actually very easy - the hard part was cutting the lower part of the bumper to make room for the receiver (I think that only applies to the Sport model) and drilling holes for the third mounting screw. Took me about an hour to complete using the necessary tools, a couple ramps and my toolbox positioned under the vehicle for the lowered exhaust to rest on.

I used this video as a guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIk8PS6LYvI

Good luck!

I have a 2010 edge sel which I had the body shop install a lower bumper shirt for an edge with a trailer hitch when i was rear ended so that I could install a hitch down the road. Last month I brought myself an OEM hitch off of eBay for $200 and installed it myself. The installation was very easy, just had to remove the bumper. The whole job took about 45 min. I didn't wire it up since Im just using it for a bike rack.

I installed a CURT Class III Hitch - 2" Receiver Product #13067 that I got from Amazon for $140. Lowering the exhaust and modifying the heat shields were actually very easy - the hard part was cutting the lower part of the bumper to make room for the receiver (I think that only applies to the Sport model) and drilling holes for the third mounting screw. Took me about an hour to complete using the necessary tools, a couple ramps and my toolbox positioned under the vehicle for the lowered exhaust to rest on.

I used this video as a guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIk8PS6LYvI

Good luck!

Thanks!!! The CURT class III is the one I had settled on too if I go that route. I'm going to price it out at the dealership and see what the difference is and go from there. I'm kind of in a hurry I just got my son a dirt bike and I'm needing a hitch installed so I can put a bike rack on it. He's dying to get out there and ride! haha there isn't a whole lot of room for him to open the thing up in our neighborhood. LOL I was hoping this would be an easy bolt on and go type thing but no such luck.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!!! The CURT class III is the one I had settled on too if I go that route. I'm going to price it out at the dealership and see what the difference is and go from there. I'm kind of in a hurry I just got my son a dirt bike and I'm needing a hitch installed so I can put a bike rack on it. He's dying to get out there and ride! haha there isn't a whole lot of room for him to open the thing up in our neighborhood. LOL I was hoping this would be an easy bolt on and go type thing but no such luck.

Thanks for the help!

That video was great thanks! That doesn't look too bad at all. Thanks!!!!!!

Ok quick question on this. I bought a used 2010 limited FWD without the tow package so I am wanting to add a hitch to haul my dog trailer. The tow package from the factory includes more than just the hitch (i.e. larger radiator, upgraded cooling fans, and such). My question is, will just adding a hitch/receiver add too much wear or load? I really don't know that much about the hitches just yet.

Ok quick question on this. I bought a used 2010 limited FWD without the tow package so I am wanting to add a hitch to haul my dog trailer. The tow package from the factory includes more than just the hitch (i.e. larger radiator, upgraded cooling fans, and such). My question is, will just adding a hitch/receiver add too much wear or load? I really don't know that much about the hitches just yet.

It's not so much the hitch itself, but what you are pulling.

A dog trailer can't weigh all that much in my mind (I could be wrong). With that assumption, I would think you are safe without upgrading your cooling bits. Having said that, it never hurts to have additional cooling capacity (that's why I made sure to have the factory kit even though I don't expect to tow at the limits of Class II)

In your case, I don't think it would be necessary to add it . BUT If you have cash to blast, by all means, mod that thing!! :lol:

It's not so much the hitch itself, but what you are pulling.

A dog trailer can't weigh all that much in my mind (I could be wrong). With that assumption, I would think you are safe without upgrading your cooling bits. Having said that, it never hurts to have additional cooling capacity (that's why I made sure to have the factory kit even though I don't expect to tow at the limits of Class II)

In your case, I don't think it would be necessary to add it . BUT If you have cash to blast, by all means, mod that thing!! :lol:

I just got a quote from the dealer. I factory hitch for the 2011 limited was $425.00. One thing I don't like about the factory hitch is that they have to take the bumper cover off and cut out a small piece to clear the hitch. It looks like the aftermarket hitches are low enough that it's not required. I really don't want to have to have that cut out because when I go to sell the first thing I'll do is remove the hitch.

I notice on the video posted there isn't a plastic trim piece hanging down from the bumper like I have on my 2011. Does anyone know if the aftermarket hitch will clear that as well?

Thanks!

I called another dealer and they were $325. hahaha not sure how the dealers could vary so much on installing a hitch but ummmmm ok. So what I'm trying to do here is haul my son's new dirt bike.... I've been looking at bike carriers and trailers. The bike carrier I like is this one: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_carrier.htm it seems a bit pricey to me but nice. If I had access to a shop I could build one myself but I'm now stuck in the corporate world and no shop! haha

Anyway.... Ideas/thoughts on hauling a dirt bike or two around?

Thanks!post-17597-0-27462500-1312212210_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got a hidden hitch class 3 hitch for my 2010 Edge. I like it because you don't have to cut out the bumper for the small OEM class hitch. The hitch also sits very low and tucks up so close to the body you can barely notice it. I suggest hidden hitch over any OEM trailer product any day.

I got a hidden hitch class 3 hitch for my 2010 Edge. I like it because you don't have to cut out the bumper for the small OEM class hitch. The hitch also sits very low and tucks up so close to the body you can barely notice it. I suggest hidden hitch over any OEM trailer product any day.

Great idea, is the Class 3 hitch smaller diameter than a Class 2 hitch?

• 2 weeks later...