Edge Sport or Limited? 2011 or 2012?

MikeCho

I cannot decide between the Edge Sport or Limited. I want the Sport due to the suspension package and black grill and stronger engine. I don' like the shiny grill on LTD and I am concerned about the 22" tires of the Sport (e.g., more expensive to replace plus crapper ride and crapper in the snow). I like the 3.7 compared to the 3.5 but according to some other sites the 3.5 is faster. Oh and since I live in Minnesota, I need/want all wheel drive.

The 22s look nice but aren't as practical in the snow and I would be fine with 20s but I can only get 22s on the Sport. What is the difference between the lights and the tail lamps between the Sport and LTD? I can't see difference like commented on some websites.

Also is it worth it to wait until next month or so to get the 2012? Online, I can't find any changes. If there are upgrades or changes, I am willing to wait the couple of months. So going back to the 3.5 or 3.7, I understand the weighted wheels and AWD on the Sport makes more of a drag even with the extra hp.

SO which one? Sport or Limited? PS I will have mine loaded up regardless.

Go with the Limited. Lets face it, 3.7 and 3.5, neither of them are really going to make your edge blazing fast, and its only a 20hp difference and loss of gas mileage. I am in MN as well and have an AWD limited and love it with the 18 inch wheels. Much more affordable to replace and winter is hard on wheels. Changes to the 2012 will be minimal. Also, if you dont like the shiny grill they sell paintable inserts or you can paint your own.

Hope this helps your decision

I've got the Sport and live in Canada, so the snow was also a factor. I however always get separate snow tires. If you'll be keeping the Edge for a while, you'll need to replace the rubber eventually, so why not get a second set right off the bat. I picked up a nice set of 18" black alloy rims and high end winters and now I'm not worried about the 22"'s. Mind you, many people are running them in the winter. I've had them out in snow and was quite surprised at how well they handled.

If you're looking at the Sport for the suspension, then you'll like the 22"'s. I prefer the "Sport" ride of the low profile compared to my 18's. They are not rough, much stiffer then 18's and likely a non Sport, but I just did 4000KM through the eastern US to New Brunswick and loved the ride.

There are a few changes with the late 11 build and 12's that you may want. For one, they strengthened the roof to gain higher roll over ratings. I think most 11's you find now would be the new build though, so this may not matter.

I cannot decide between the Edge Sport or Limited. I want the Sport due to the suspension package and black grill and stronger engine. I don' like the shiny grill on LTD and I am concerned about the 22" tires of the Sport (e.g., more expensive to replace plus crapper ride and crapper in the snow). I like the 3.7 compared to the 3.5 but according to some other sites the 3.5 is faster. Oh and since I live in Minnesota, I need/want all wheel drive.

The 22s look nice but aren't as practical in the snow and I would be fine with 20s but I can only get 22s on the Sport. What is the difference between the lights and the tail lamps between the Sport and LTD? I can't see difference like commented on some websites.

Also is it worth it to wait until next month or so to get the 2012? Online, I can't find any changes. If there are upgrades or changes, I am willing to wait the couple of months. So going back to the 3.5 or 3.7, I understand the weighted wheels and AWD on the Sport makes more of a drag even with the extra hp.

SO which one? Sport or Limited? PS I will have mine loaded up regardless.

I have a 2011 sport here in cleveland, took delivery last October and then we had the 3rd worst winter in history here. I am am in sales and already have 30K on the sport. I stayed w/original tires and wheels during winter and had no problems whatsoever. basically comes down to this...if you have tires with good tred and don't drive like an idiot, you'll be fine. Heck I learned to drive on a 1972 Cutlass w/rear wheel drive and bald tires like most people my age, 46, we didn't have front wheel drive back then.

I was also surprised at how well the rims heald up against the road salt, potholes etc. that we have here. My Sport is FWD only and in my travels, it I can't get around town with my car, than AWD isn't going to work either.

I traded a 2010 limited for this Sport......Sprot runs circles aroubd the Ltd in all aspects of drivabilty, handling, braking and not to mention all the comments from people asking "those aren't factory wheels are they?"

Try to drive both I guess and always budgets are a concern.

I love this car and will order another in late 2012

Get a 2012, some nice changes in it. Insulation, 10 way power seat for the passenger, new tailgate fin and a simplified MFT system.

If you get the 20" rims you will get the bigger gear so it will be almost as quick as the Sport.

I considered a sport, looks good but was concerned about the rims and also the snow. Possibly needing winter rims and tires and the possibility of damaging one of those rims is a lot of extra cost. I sure with those sport seats were available on the Limited. They are so nice.

Get a 2012, some nice changes in it. Insulation, 10 way power seat for the passenger, new tailgate fin and a simplified MFT system.

If you get the 20" rims you will get the bigger gear so it will be almost as quick as the Sport.

I considered a sport, looks good but was concerned about the rims and also the snow. Possibly needing winter rims and tires and the possibility of damaging one of those rims is a lot of extra cost. I sure with those sport seats were available on the Limited. They are so nice.

Are you saying ordering the 20" rims will also get you the final drive ratio in the Sport?

EDIT: disambiguation

Edited by cal3thousand
  • Like 1

Really? I must have missed that one. What are they changing? Or are they just removing the features that don't work so they don't have to oversell it?

I was told they are dumbing it down a bit, not as big of a vocabulary and commands, supposed to make it a little more user friendly. I do not know the details, sorry.

Just to clarify, the literature indicates 3.39 on Limited AWD with the 20" wheels as opposed to the 3.19 on the others. Also not entirely sure about your statement. There are a couple of factors at play there.

Anyone know why they went with the 3.39 with the 20s? The difference in overall diameters between the 18s and 20s is only a couple of millimetres. Is it to offset the additional weight of the larger wheel?

Just to clarify, the literature indicates 3.39 on Limited AWD with the 20" wheels as opposed to the 3.19 on the others. Also not entirely sure about your statement. There are a couple of factors at play there.

Anyone know why they went with the 3.39 with the 20s? The difference in overall diameters between the 18s and 20s is only a couple of millimetres. Is it to offset the additional weight of the larger wheel?

It should still be quicker off the line than the 3.19, that is a plus. It is a nice bonus.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the information, but it seems that the 10 way passenger power seat is still not available on the 2012 Edge sport. It is available on the 2012 Edge Limited. I have checked the inventory of 2012 Edges on cars.com and none of the sport Edge had that option.