Sync my ride MFT upgrade avaliable?

Looks like Ford/MS is finally coming out with a 'fix' for most of the issues, in the new year, which will be sent out to all the owners.

However, if I read it right, it's only for the US. WTH!!! Seems like Canadians are screwed, AGAIN!! This really sucks if we don't receive the

same upgrade. I loved my Edge when I first got it, but take away the traffic, weather, sports info, add sync issues, and other glitches, not to mention

the TOTAL LACK of ANY support and looks like FORD will be going down a lot further then they are now!!! This is the 1st Ford I;ve ever purchased, and might just be the last, but not before

I (and several thousand others) have a say about it!

Wake up FORD!! The net can boost your sales, or seriously HURT them!

Do I need to move to the states or just not buy or recommend FORD!!!????

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/ford-to-offer-software-patch-to-fix-malfunctioning-touch-screens.html

What in the world gives you the idea it's only for the U.S.? Of course Canadian Edges would be included. If you have experienced a lack of support on MFT then it must be your dealer, not Ford. Ford has provided at least 6 updates in the last year. Do you have 2.11 yet?

Looks like Ford/MS is finally coming out with a 'fix' for most of the issues, in the new year, which will be sent out to all the owners.

However, if I read it right, it's only for the US. WTH!!! Seems like Canadians are screwed, AGAIN!! This really sucks if we don't receive the

same upgrade. I loved my Edge when I first got it, but take away the traffic, weather, sports info, add sync issues, and other glitches, not to mention

the TOTAL LACK of ANY support and looks like FORD will be going down a lot further then they are now!!! This is the 1st Ford I;ve ever purchased, and might just be the last, but not before

I (and several thousand others) have a say about it!

Wake up FORD!! The net can boost your sales, or seriously HURT them!

Do I need to move to the states or just not buy or recommend FORD!!!????

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/ford-to-offer-software-patch-to-fix-malfunctioning-touch-screens.html

The press release "touched" on the fact that the owners were not happy.

I would say that you could be included in that group. Welcome.

What in the world gives you the idea it's only for the U.S.? Of course Canadian Edges would be included. If you have experienced a lack of support on MFT then it must be your dealer, not Ford. Ford has provided at least 6 updates in the last year. Do you have 2.11 yet?

As a Canadian owner who has endured a very disappointing MLincolnT experience for over a year, I was uncomfortable to read that while US owners will receive a flash device with updated software, Ford hasn't decided yet what to do with the 200K owners outside of the US. I suspect we will get the update dealer installed and only after a significant delay.

And about that lack of support - my dealer's service department has been pretty bad (sadly not just about MFT) but I don't doubt their frustration when they tell me about how Ford isn't providing them with much useful information or tools to improve MFT.

As a Canadian owner who has endured a very disappointing MLincolnT experience for over a year, I was uncomfortable to read that while US owners will receive a flash device with updated software, Ford hasn't decided yet what to do with the 200K owners outside of the US. I suspect we will get the update dealer installed and only after a significant delay.

And about that lack of support - my dealer's service department has been pretty bad (sadly not just about MFT) but I don't doubt their frustration when they tell me about how Ford isn't providing them with much useful information or tools to improve MFT.

Nowhere have I seen any reference to only sending the flash drives to U.S. customers. However - you would still be able to download it from the website and install it yourself. I suspect they don't want to kill the servers and network having everyone download such a large update at the same time, so sending out the flash drives solves several problems. I don't see why you would be forced to take it to the dealer if it fits on a flash drive and can be self-installed.

And while there were problems on the Ford side - there were a lot of problems with individual dealers not having the right cables, internet access and suitable computers. Personally I think most dealers simply didn't prepare well enough because they either didn't understand that this was new technology requiring more advanced support or just chose not to invest the time and money to get ready. There were plenty of dealers who had very few problems after the initial problems were fixed.

Nowhere have I seen any reference to only sending the flash drives to U.S. customers. However - you would still be able to download it from the website and install it yourself. I suspect they don't want to kill the servers and network having everyone download such a large update at the same time, so sending out the flash drives solves several problems. I don't see why you would be forced to take it to the dealer if it fits on a flash drive and can be self-installed.

And while there were problems on the Ford side - there were a lot of problems with individual dealers not having the right cables, internet access and suitable computers. Personally I think most dealers simply didn't prepare well enough because they either didn't understand that this was new technology requiring more advanced support or just chose not to invest the time and money to get ready. There were plenty of dealers who had very few problems after the initial problems were fixed.

I think this is the quote that may have caused some consternation to Canadian customers...quote from press release..."Early next year, owners located in the U.S. will be mailed a USB flash drive with the software upgrade for installation that they can do at their own convenience."

I think this is the quote that may have caused some consternation to Canadian customers...quote from press release..."Early next year, owners located in the U.S. will be mailed a USB flash drive with the software upgrade for installation that they can do at their own convenience."

I didn't see that quote. I still think Canadians would be able to download it from the website just like they do today.

Hey, those of us with nav are also getting new map data sd cards along with the flash drives. I just read all about the new software, and it should be pretty amazing. They're adding features that they haven't even told the public about.

Don't get your hopes up. I still think they are going to have issues with MFT running Nav. The more I read and the more I scrutinize the issues I am having it really seems like there isn't enough processing power in the APIM. When I looked it up it indicated that it runs at 400MHz, some places mention it can be overclocked to 600 which would help but I still question if it will provide an acceptable interface. Most portable nav units are running 400MHz or faster just for nav, so to have it also control phone, climate and entertainment I think is stretching it too far. But something at this point is better than nothing.

Hey, those of us with nav are also getting new map data sd cards along with the flash drives. I just read all about the new software, and it should be pretty amazing. They're adding features that they haven't even told the public about.

Now that's something I could get excited about if it were a fact. My biggest regret was ordering the Nav. System on the Edge. There isn't one thing I like about that Nav system...especially the maps. In fact I ordered the new Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT (LMT=lifetime maps and traffic) yesterday. Hopefully I will receive it before my trip to Washington, DC and Fairfax, VA. I should also add though, other than a minor problem with the clock/gps sync, everything is working great. I am still on 2.7 and see no need to update until the 'major' release in 2012...(fingers crossed). I do feel for those buyers that have had numerous problems and can understand their frustrations.

Agreed. I'm sure it will be available to all. The flash drive 'available to all' may not be the case. As you said it may have to be a download.

I wonder if it's a legal issue. You're generally not allowed to ship software out of the country so they'd have to set up a separate facility to create and ship the Canadian orders in Canada. Probably easier to just let them do a manual download with the smaller volumes.

Don't get your hopes up. I still think they are going to have issues with MFT running Nav. The more I read and the more I scrutinize the issues I am having it really seems like there isn't enough processing power in the APIM. When I looked it up it indicated that it runs at 400MHz, some places mention it can be overclocked to 600 which would help but I still question if it will provide an acceptable interface. Most portable nav units are running 400MHz or faster just for nav, so to have it also control phone, climate and entertainment I think is stretching it too far. But something at this point is better than nothing.

If there were hardware issues I think they would have addressed that with the 2013 models. They didn't - which says the problem was the application software.

I guarantee you one thing - they won't be shipping this one unless it works.

Now that's something I could get excited about if it were a fact. My biggest regret was ordering the Nav. System on the Edge. There isn't one thing I like about that Nav system...especially the maps. In fact I ordered the new Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT (LMT=lifetime maps and traffic) yesterday. Hopefully I will receive it before my trip to Washington, DC and Fairfax, VA. I should also add though, other than a minor problem with the clock/gps sync, everything is working great. I am still on 2.7 and see no need to update until the 'major' release in 2012...(fingers crossed). I do feel for those buyers that have had numerous problems and can understand their frustrations.

It's a fact. I read it on Ford's internal website.

If there were hardware issues I think they would have addressed that with the 2013 models. They didn't - which says the problem was the application software.

I guarantee you one thing - they won't be shipping this one unless it works.

Normally I would agree with you but after seeing what many companies decide to do to either cut costs or cover up issues I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with the outdated core. I think the software if written properly can help the hardware but I still believe they know they have a hardware issue at least for those units that have nav. Again the processor was released in 2007 and is only running ~400MHz which is what stand alone GPS units run. No matter how clean you write your code (not something MS is known for) you are still pushing the limits of this CPU's capabilities. I think Ford is taking a calculated risk and figuring the overall % of nav sales is low and cost to carry or change CPU platforms would be too high.

I remember reading before I made my purchase that the majority of the people having issues were those with Nav. I had also looked into adding nav later as that would have been beneficial to us at the time, but found Ford didn't offer it. There is no real reason Ford couldn't offer Nav as an upgrade. All the hooks are there they would just need to update the software and provide an SD card. Again this is just speculation but I think Ford was aware of the limitations and decided that performing updates would just cause more issues and they were already stretched too thin trying to patch things up.

Again I could be completely wrong and I hope I am but based on my experiences with MFT it is running like and old underpowered PC with a bloatware on it.

I wonder if it's a legal issue. You're generally not allowed to ship software out of the country so they'd have to set up a separate facility to create and ship the Canadian orders in Canada. Probably easier to just let them do a manual download with the smaller volumes.

I didn't approach it from that angle. You may be correct. I just thought that the Ford Edge was built in Canada and any software would be shipped from the U.S. to Ford Canada and then distributed from their facility to Canadian owners. Oh well time will tell, but it's always fun to speculate.

Yes, have already updated to 2.11 which has 'fixed' some of the bugs, and will DL the 'new' software in early 2012, but with all the tech issues so far, seems more like I purchased a pc (and a MS pc to makes matters worse), than a new car!

I don't think this vehicle would win a lot of praise with some of the dare I say computer challenged population who just want to get from point a to b. I love the technology, as long as it works!

Normally I would agree with you but after seeing what many companies decide to do to either cut costs or cover up issues I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with the outdated core. I think the software if written properly can help the hardware but I still believe they know they have a hardware issue at least for those units that have nav. Again the processor was released in 2007 and is only running ~400MHz which is what stand alone GPS units run. No matter how clean you write your code (not something MS is known for) you are still pushing the limits of this CPU's capabilities. I think Ford is taking a calculated risk and figuring the overall % of nav sales is low and cost to carry or change CPU platforms would be too high.

I remember reading before I made my purchase that the majority of the people having issues were those with Nav. I had also looked into adding nav later as that would have been beneficial to us at the time, but found Ford didn't offer it. There is no real reason Ford couldn't offer Nav as an upgrade. All the hooks are there they would just need to update the software and provide an SD card. Again this is just speculation but I think Ford was aware of the limitations and decided that performing updates would just cause more issues and they were already stretched too thin trying to patch things up.

Again I could be completely wrong and I hope I am but based on my experiences with MFT it is running like and old underpowered PC with a bloatware on it.

I don't think the cost to upgrade the processor would be significant enough to outweigh the potential continued damage to Ford's reputation. I guess we'll find out next year.

And the reason we never got a Nav upgrade or a web browser is that they were too busy trying to fix the problems (at first) and once they decided to rewrite the software it didn't make sense to do it then. I suspect both will be available with the new software.

I don't think the cost to upgrade the processor would be significant enough to outweigh the potential continued damage to Ford's reputation. I guess we'll find out next year.

And the reason we never got a Nav upgrade or a web browser is that they were too busy trying to fix the problems (at first) and once they decided to rewrite the software it didn't make sense to do it then. I suspect both will be available with the new software.

Cost of an upgraded processor is nothing, but the cost to develop a new APIM and then have to recall all existing vehicles would be enormous. Not to mention take way longer than Ford has to find a solution. But if they can make a version of the software work on this hardware; even if it isn't ideal, they can essentially say there is nothing wrong with the hardware and try to put this version behind them. Again I think they are taking a calculated risk, knowing they can't afford to wait for a new board design or support a recall. Again I hope I am wrong but I still think there will be performance issues for those with Nav. My guess is once they have this new software out they will start a new board design if they haven't already and it will be in the 2014's or 2015's and they will claim the change was necessary since they added extra features.

As for adding nav after the fact...why would it be difficult? The data is on an SD card, all the hardware is in place, they would just need to change the software and/or enable the feature. This isn't something Ford corporate would have to get involved in. They could have left it to the dealers as they do with other upgrades like the plug and play remote starts, hitch wiring etc.

Cost of an upgraded processor is nothing, but the cost to develop a new APIM and then have to recall all existing vehicles would be enormous. Not to mention take way longer than Ford has to find a solution. But if they can make a version of the software work on this hardware; even if it isn't ideal, they can essentially say there is nothing wrong with the hardware and try to put this version behind them. Again I think they are taking a calculated risk, knowing they can't afford to wait for a new board design or support a recall. Again I hope I am wrong but I still think there will be performance issues for those with Nav. My guess is once they have this new software out they will start a new board design if they haven't already and it will be in the 2014's or 2015's and they will claim the change was necessary since they added extra features.

Wow - quite the conspiracy theorist lately. I think if it needed more power they would have done that for the 2013 models going forward and left the 2011-12 models as is. They're going to upgrade at some point anyway.

The results from the Alpha testers seem to agree that the performance issues are gone, although I don't remember if they tested nav specifically.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

As for adding nav after the fact...why would it be difficult? The data is on an SD card, all the hardware is in place, they would just need to change the software and/or enable the feature. This isn't something Ford corporate would have to get involved in. They could have left it to the dealers as they do with other upgrades like the plug and play remote starts, hitch wiring etc.

Well of course all they have to do is load the nav software. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting a stand alone package that a dealer can sell and install independently and making sure it can't easily be hacked. Same for the web browser - it's not hard to add one. But the resources to do both were busy fixing problems which were more important.

Wow - quite the conspiracy theorist lately. I think if it needed more power they would have done that for the 2013 models going forward and left the 2011-12 models as is. They're going to upgrade at some point anyway.

The results from the Alpha testers seem to agree that the performance issues are gone, although I don't remember if they tested nav specifically.

Not a conspiracy theorist...just a pessimist. Especially after seeing a lot of decision companies big and small make to try to cover up problems/issues. Just from an logical perspective, if most portable GPS use the same speed processor or better I don't see how you can reasonably expect this one to do that much more. It also didn't sit well with me that in the one video I saw of the new software the car is clearly not moving but when they show nav the vehicle is moving down the road. Again I really hope I am wrong.