DST

Mine changed automatically. But I am still on 1.8 so who knows. I am now fairly confident that I will wait for the major rewrite before doing any changes to the system.

I'm on 2.11 and mine also did not change automatically. Can I ask what your time setting are, maybe we all have it programmed wrong? Right now I have GPS time sync set to on, DST set to on, and Auto Time Zone set to on. it doesn't make sense, with GPS sync turned on the DST one technically shouldn't matter, it should just download the correct time from the sats, right?

I'm on 2.11 and mine also did not change automatically. Can I ask what your time setting are, maybe we all have it programmed wrong? Right now I have GPS time sync set to on, DST set to on, and Auto Time Zone set to on. it doesn't make sense, with GPS sync turned on the DST one technically shouldn't matter, it should just download the correct time from the sats, right?

Settings are right but the system didn't do what it should have. Guessing the next update will solve it

My clock has never been correct. But since everything else is working great, I just set the clock manually and turn off the gps sync. The strange thing about the GPS sync, as you mentioned, doesn't seem to be working correctly. For example when I try to sync the clock with gps it switches to Eastern Std Time Zone and the clock shows 1.5 hours behind my time zone which is Newfoundland Standard Time. If it was working correctly using gps, it should pin point my location and correctly show the time zone plus the correct time.

How can a satellite know which time zone you're in? The satellite time is just GMT time, it's up to the GPS unit itself to adjust the time based on where you are. But how can it know what the correct time is if there could be two different times at the same location, depending on the date? So the system has to double-cross reference, take the standard time signal, check that against the location then check that against a database of DST time offsets by location. I don't believe that last database exists in the system, thus the DST function is just a manual on/off button that you have to push twice a year.

Edited by Waldo

How can a satellite know which time zone you're in? The satellite time is just GMT time, it's up to the GPS unit itself to adjust the time based on where you are. But how can it know what the correct time is if there could be two different times at the same location, depending on the date? So the system has to double-cross reference, take the standard time signal, check that against the location then check that against a database of DST time offsets by location. I don't believe that last database exists in the system, thus the DST function is just a manual on/off button that you have to push twice a year.

All I know is before I went to 2.11 mine would automatically adjust the clock for DST changes. Plus, if it can't do that how would "Auto Time Zone Change" ever work?

This is how I have mine set. There is no rhyme or reason why things work on one car and not another. Good luck.

This is how I have mine set. There is no rhyme or reason why things work on one car and not another. Good luck.

Just a thought here...

Could it be the that the GPS satellite is suppose to provide the DST info? Some folks' GPS satellites may just be more stupid than others.

(Choff...Do they really do DST in Alaska? Does it make a difference?)

Just a thought here...

Could it be the that the GPS satellite is suppose to provide the DST info? Some folks' GPS satellites may just be more stupid than others.

(Choff...Do they really do DST in Alaska? Does it make a difference?)

Yes, we do it. It makes it dark later into the morning and light a smidge longer at night. For about a week. Then it doesn't matter again. It is just dark. alll the time. or it is snowing. Yes. Already hating on winter. When is my trip to Hawaii?

But seriously - does DST matter any where? NO! It is just stupid.

Yes, we do it. It makes it dark later into the morning and light a smidge longer at night. For about a week. Then it doesn't matter again. It is just dark. alll the time. or it is snowing. Yes. Already hating on winter. When is my trip to Hawaii?

But seriously - does DST matter any where? NO! It is just stupid.

Please take this statement back. :)

DST is one of the most beautiful ideas ever. If you want to remove DST, go ahead and make ALL times DST times.

In Southern California, it makes a HUGE difference. Right now, sunset is 5:30 PM. I work inside all day, so I don't get my Vitamin D. In Summer with DST, it gets dark at around 8:00 PM. That's enough time to get out of work and enjoy some of the Sun.

And let's not even start with the energy savings...

DST is one of the most beautiful ideas ever. If you want to remove DST, go ahead and make ALL times DST times.

In Southern California, it makes a HUGE difference. Right now, sunset is 5:30 PM. I work inside all day, so I don't get my Vitamin D. In Summer with DST, it gets dark at around 8:00 PM. That's enough time to get out of work and enjoy some of the Sun.

Right now... sun rise is about 9am - depending on how flat of an area you are in or if you have a mountain in the way, making it later. And Sunset is at 4:30. We are still losing 5 minutes a day, so if you don't have a window in your office you could go all day without seeing light. Summer is reversed. so really DST just messes with kids heads.

Ever been in Arizona in the summer? They don't do DST and the sun comes up at like 4:30 in the morning. By the time you leave the house and go to your car, you have to open the windows and run the air conditioner to let it cool down - and that's at 7am! But then it gets dark early which is a good thing since that's the only way it ever gets cool enough to go outside.

But over here in southern Ontario I wish we had DST year round, I don't need daylight to drive to work, but it would be nice to take my kid outside to the park when I get home.

Energy savings? That's BS. DST is robbing Peter to pay Paul

There is still the same amount of time that the sun is shining.

Arizona has figured this out

I'm a morning person. I enjoy the early morning sunrise but DST messes with that.

DST caters to those that like to stay in bed in the morning.

Energy savings? That's BS. DST is robbing Peter to pay Paul

There is still the same amount of time that the sun is shining.

Arizona has figured this out

I'm a morning person. I enjoy the early morning sunrise but DST messes with that.

DST caters to those that like to stay in bed in the morning.

And ultimately, I don't care which cycle they end on, but just stop the change. In another week it is dark outside before and after work, so blah!