Kick to open

wilsons66604

I would think that a person could get one of the sensors and tie it into the tailgate motor somehow.

Somehow being the key word. Chances are the sensor is tied into the computer module that controls the liftgate and you won't have that software on the Edge. Not to mention it's also tied into the Intelligent Access.

Highly doubtful this could be retrofitted.

I think it's absolutely possible.

You would need a proximity sensor or motion sensor (could be retrofitted from a cheap motion detector light from DealExtreme). Then use the signal from that sensor to control a relay that would trip the same circuit as the liftgate's external handle. That way, you are just replicating the button push on the liftgate whenever anything moves in the sensor's range.

Would need to determined if a ground signal or positive signal is used first and construct the relay accordingly.

Edited by cal3thousand

I think it's absolutely possible.

You would need a proximity sensor or motion sensor (could be retrofitted from a cheap motion detector light from DealExtreme). Then use the signal from that sensor to control a relay that would trip the same circuit as the liftgate's external handle. That way, you are just replicating the button push on the liftgate whenever anything moves in the sensor's range.

Would need to determined if a ground signal or positive signal is used first and construct the relay accordingly.

But that only works if the vehicle is unlocked, and if you're pushing the button on the keyfob to unlock it then you can just as easily push the button to open the tailgate. This is only really useful with Intelligent Access.

Besides - it's not for sure that the tailgate switch is simply completing a circuit or if it's actually sending a signal over the data bus which would be way harder to duplicate.

Edit: you also have to make sure the proximity switch doesn't activate when you drive over something or an animal walks underneath the vehicle.

Edited by akirby

But that only works if the vehicle is unlocked, and if you're pushing the button on the keyfob to unlock it then you can just as easily push the button to open the tailgate. This is only really useful with Intelligent Access.

Besides - it's not for sure that the tailgate switch is simply completing a circuit or if it's actually sending a signal over the data bus which would be way harder to duplicate.

Edit: you also have to make sure the proximity switch doesn't activate when you drive over something or an animal walks underneath the vehicle.

Sorry... I was working on the assumption of already having Intelligent Access since this just seems like an evolution.

Did not mean to indicate it was mod that every Edge could participate in.

linking to the IA system in this way will limit the car from opening the hatch while in drive. (but there are other situations that should be considered)

Edited by cal3thousand

Sorry... I was working on the assumption of already having Intelligent Access since this just seems like an evolution.

Did not mean to indicate it was mod that every Edge could participate in.

linking to the IA system in this way will limit the car from opening the hatch while in drive. (but there are other situations that should be considered)

But don't you have to touch the door handle to unlock it when you have IA?

I wonder if a regular keyfob works on an IA equipped vehicle? If it does you could program it and then have the proximity sensor simulate a double button press to open the hatch.

Or trade it for a 2013 Escape. :)

But don't you have to touch the door handle to unlock it when you have IA?

I wonder if a regular keyfob works on an IA equipped vehicle? If it does you could program it and then have the proximity sensor simulate a double button press to open the hatch.

Or trade it for a 2013 Escape. :)

With IA, all you have to do is tap the button on the outside of the tailgate (and of course have the IA fob in proximity). So my theory would be an auxiliary switch tapped into the tailgate switch's circuit that would mimic a person touching the button.

With IA, all you have to do is tap the button on the outside of the tailgate (and of course have the IA fob in proximity). So my theory would be an auxiliary switch tapped into the tailgate switch's circuit that would mimic a person touching the button.

That's what I was thinking could be done in some way. I have the IA and figured it would just be an extension of that.

Just to understand if that's indeed how it is wired and not some data bus setup as Akirby mentioned as a potential

A parts list isn't going to tell you how it's wired. But you can be sure it is on the network in the Escape, there really isn't anything that's not on the network anymore. Which is my point, what you're talking about - wiring into the existing trunk release switch - can be done with any old motion sensor.

I was at the LA Auto show last night and had the Ford Rep demo the feature on their new Escape.

Apparently, it uses a proximity sensor that can detect motion. This solves the issue of something running under your car when you are in range with the fob. Waving your foot on the ground under the car does nothing, but lift your shin until it gets close to the bumper and move it across the area and it will open. I'm beginning to think that a simple motion detector might cause unknown issues.

The car itself was very attractive with many features I would like to see in an Edge sized vehicle including a properly retracting cargo cover and fold down seats that lock into place. Should be available by May 2012.