Oil change

luvford

How often have you had your oil changed? I got my edge sept 11, 2010 and had the oil changed at 5000 miles. I have not had it changed again. According o the owners manual it says to wait until I get the change oil soon message. I have about 12,000 mies on the edge just curious as to how many times you've had the oil changed.

How often have you had your oil changed? I got my edge sept 11, 2010 and had the oil changed at 5000 miles. I have not had it changed again. According o the owners manual it says to wait until I get the change oil soon message. I have about 12,000 mies on the edge just curious as to how many times you've had the oil changed.

Hey stranger - welcome back around - hows the car?

I have done mine twice - book says between 7500 and 10000 miles. I have almost 18000 miles on it.

Hey stranger - welcome back around - hows the car?

I have done mine twice - book says between 7500 and 10000 miles. I have almost 18000 miles on it.

I did the 1st one at approx 10,000 kms (approx 6200 miles, very early oil life was still at 50%) next one at approx 25000 kms (about 15,000 miles) and it still showed 17% oil life left. Had the car since oct 2010.

M.

Here are my rules of thumb, depending on what oil I'm using:

conventional - 5000mi

synthetic blend - 7500mi

full synthetic - 10000mi

The oil % life in our vehicles definitely seems like an interesting feature but I'm not sure that I trust it very much without knowing exactly what it's measuring or taking into account. It would also be nice to get some used oil analyses done to see how close the computer's calculation is to the actual condition of the oil.

Evelyn my edge is great! Just did the latest MFT update and everything's working great!

How's Alaska?

Sheldon is still doing great - haven't done any software updates, since I read this site too much and mine still works great. I will probably even wait a bit on the new update till I hear reactions. I will have to take it to the dealer to have it done anyway because of the version I am still on.

Alaska is DANG cold - well, today it is a heat wave at 32, but we spent two weeks of single or below zero digits. BRRRR. Could be worse, could be further north.

The oil % life in our vehicles definitely seems like an interesting feature but I'm not sure that I trust it very much without knowing exactly what it's measuring or taking into account. It would also be nice to get some used oil analyses done to see how close the computer's calculation is to the actual condition of the oil.

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)

Hours in operation and at idle

Oil and coolant temperature

Engine speed and torque

Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.