Hi everyone,

This morning I went into my car to find a sheet of thin ice build up on my windshield (on the inside). I scratched it with my nail and flaky snow came falling off!

There was a rock chip repaired by Speedys so I called them but they said that it has nothoing to do with the chip and that it is rare that it happened.

I'm really worried as the ice was fully covered my whole windshielf except for the chiped area (weird) and we have MFT in the car :(

Does anyone know what this could be?

Yeah. "Speedy's" is lying.

Yeah I thought so, they said all this bull about not being able to touch the crack inside so it has nothing to do with the chip. But it didn't happen before the chip.

Does anyone think it could also be the seal of the windshield to the frame of the car?

Here are some pictures how what it is like,

I just went into my car and took these pictures. I read that there could be moisture in the car like a soggy floor mat or anything like that, but theres nothing in mine.

Well, one way or the other, you have moisture inside the car that's condensing and then freezing on the inside of the windshield. Make sure that you have the climate controls set to NOT recirculate and the heat turned up (maybe take it off Auto for a while). That should help dry out any residual moisture in the car.

The crack repair would only be an issue if you had a lot of moisture on the outside (driving rain, etc.) that was able to use the crack as an ingress point. You would probably see some amount of moisture around that spot. If not, then it's coming from somewhere else.

To be honest, my 2001 pickup that I had before I got the Edge would ice up like that all the time in the winter. It just meant that I had to let it warm up to the point where the defrost would start to clear it before I took off. It was probably due to melted snow in the carpet but it would eventually dry out.

Well, one way or the other, you have moisture inside the car that's condensing and then freezing on the inside of the windshield. Make sure that you have the climate controls set to NOT recirculate and the heat turned up (maybe take it off Auto for a while). That should help dry out any residual moisture in the car.

The crack repair would only be an issue if you had a lot of moisture on the outside (driving rain, etc.) that was able to use the crack as an ingress point. You would probably see some amount of moisture around that spot. If not, then it's coming from somewhere else.

To be honest, my 2001 pickup that I had before I got the Edge would ice up like that all the time in the winter. It just meant that I had to let it warm up to the point where the defrost would start to clear it before I took off. It was probably due to melted snow in the carpet but it would eventually dry out.

The other day I had moisture, (not cold enough to freeze), like that on the inside of windshield of my 2011 MKX.

JEC

Often the 1st (2nd) serious frost of the year will do this if the car is garaged outside. It is made much worse if the preceding weather has been cool and wet. I am assuming it is due to the accumulated water inside the car (carpet, seats, everywhere) and in the atmosphere that is drawn out by the 1st frost and freezes (condenses) on the window. It will go away after two or three frosts. This phenomena also after a wt snow when you have brought much snow into the car on your feet, jacket etc. For some reason it also happens after the car has been inside in a warm environment for some time. My theory on this is it is like glasses that fog up when you come in to the house when it is cold out, specifically the car is cold and when brought into a warm area causes the moisture in the air to condense throughout the car. Then see above after a frost.

I had found that in the cold, i.e. at or below freezing, IF I get into the Edge within about 10 minutes after showering my windshield will fog up from my body moisture. I reach in and start the engine, turn on the defroster on high fan and heat the seat. Then go out and scrape the windows. By the time I'm done with this there is some heat getting to the windshield. It seems to work here in NE PA (temporary job). Back to TX in a couple days. Thank God! dogwalk.gif

Thanks for the reply everyone!

I didn't have it on recirculate (atleast I didnt think so) but before I leave the car I have it preset to defog. I went into my car this morning and there was ice, but OUTSIDE! :happy feet:

I hope its like that tomorrow as last night wasn't that cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

This morning I entered my car and the windshield was frozen yet again.

It didn't freeze in the last week because the weather wasn't cold enough. Anyways Im deciding to call the dealer to see if it might be something with the weatherstripping.

Anyways,

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! I hope Santa treats you all well!

And for those of your in Canada, hope you get to shop till you drop. Don't camp out at best buy too early ;)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

So after a so week dealing with the pain in the butt dealer, they found the problem.

Apparently there was a tube or something in the air conditioning that was clogged and they clogged it. Also apparently there also was a hvec box that needed to be fixed.