Things you would like to see added/changed to your Edge

Scorpio

Hello Everyone -

Not an owner yet, maybe - still considering. But the things I have noticed that are disappointing or missing at this price, I'm looking at getting a Ltd with the 301A option. First on the list is the plastic wheels that are standard - why do they go cheap on me when I upgrade to a LTD? Definately will be a deal breaker if the dealer won't replace them with at least the SEL alloy wheels and give me a price reduction for what Ford considers a "downgrade" - not for this guy, $40K plus car and you sell me plastic wheels - I can tell Ford where to stick it if they won't bend on that issue. Not sure if anybody knows if Ford is willing to do that or not? The other issue I have is just small stuff with the fit and finish, at this price range the 70's looking fake wood inside looks incredibly cheap - an extra $10 on those pieces would have been well spent at least on their higher end models. Also not a fan of the ambient lighting not syncing up with the other interior lighting on the dash - makes it look strange depending on what color you are using - otherwise I love the ambient lighting. These issues might be small and I could get over them in the long run but while I cross shop the BMW X3 and Audi Q5 for just $4k more none of these plastic cheap issues are there. Yes I know I'm not suppose to cross shop luxury brands with Ford, but when Ford is getting into their price range, well they should be able to compete and they seem to fall a little short, maybe more than $4K dollars short and that is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Firs thing I need to find out is how willing Ford is able to change out the plastic "clad" wheels - that is bugging me everytime I see them on the road, over $40K USD and this what I have to show for it? Huge Huge mistake Ford.

Wait a minute, perhaps I'm missing something here

You mean the 18" or 20" wheels which Ford says are "Chrome-Clad Aluminum" are plastic?

I thought they were aluminum mags and chrome plated Aluminum

Am I wrong?

They're aluminum wheels underneath but the exposed surface is plastic plated with real chrome. These wheels actually cost more than regular chrome plated steel wheels so it's not done because they're cheap. It's done because they're lighter and they do not pit like chrome plated steel wheels over time. The only downside is that they can't yet be easily repaired if they're damaged. Otherwise they're fine. And they're used by many auto mfrs, not just Ford.

I agree some people are o.k. with the clad chrome wheels (personal preference), I would much prefer alloy over chrome myself, mainly because of the plastic involved in making them a viable option. But I live in Colorado and we don't use salt here so the pitting isn't a reason for me to like them. So I completely understand why Ford did what they did, but once again at this price point that is very disapointing for me and would really appreciate an option for something that I consider and actual upgrade. I realize other manufacturers are using them but shopping in this class at this price point, Acura RDX, X3, Q5 not a single one of them has the plastic chrome. I cannot express how pumped I was about the Edge until I discovered that, at this point I don't know if I'm just way overreacting or if it is truly a legitimate complaint about the appearance. I have been told they are super easy to clean and always look good, but feel and touch is more important than the visual for me, I think.

Seriously does anybody know if Ford is willing to swap out for the SEL and give a price reduction for the downgrade? Am I crazy for demading them to do this?

I agree some people are o.k. with the clad chrome wheels (personal preference), I would much prefer alloy over chrome myself, mainly because of the plastic involved in making them a viable option. But I live in Colorado and we don't use salt here so the pitting isn't a reason for me to like them. So I completely understand why Ford did what they did, but once again at this price point that is very disapointing for me and would really appreciate an option for something that I consider and actual upgrade. I realize other manufacturers are using them but shopping in this class at this price point, Acura RDX, X3, Q5 not a single one of them has the plastic chrome. I cannot express how pumped I was about the Edge until I discovered that, at this point I don't know if I'm just way overreacting or if it is truly a legitimate complaint about the appearance. I have been told they are super easy to clean and always look good, but feel and touch is more important than the visual for me, I think.

Seriously does anybody know if Ford is willing to swap out for the SEL and give a price reduction for the downgrade? Am I crazy for demading them to do this?

It's not a downgrade - they actually cost MORE to mfr. If you don't like them then fine, but don't make it sound like it was a cheap-out.

Wheels are super easy to swap out and I'm sure there are folks looking to buy replacements for damaged wheels.

Dont know if in Colorado winter tires are required by law but in Quebec they are. So I plan to use the stock wheels which come with 4 season tires in the summer and buy a new set of mags with the snow tires for the winter. Perhaps you may consider the same as an alternative.

It is a PITA when it comes to choose the various options on a new vehicle because there is always something you dont like in a package. I dont like the stock wheels either but since people buy them I'm willing to try them and perhaps I may like them, plastic cladding or not.

On my side I hate the entry keypad on the drivers door but since I like the "Driver Entry package" which includes this bloody keypad I will have to compromise. I noticed in the showroom the 2013 Explorer and this keypad is installed on the window frame just above the door handle and its almost invisible and very neat. I wonder why Ford did not installed this keypad on the Edge in the same place as the Explorer

I have always ran all weather tires on my current Ford Ranger 4x4 - I have never thought winter tires were needed - they aren't by law but some people swear by them. So I plan on using the same wheels year around and like you said it is just PITA to buy a brand new car and then spend more money on wheels and go through the hassle of selling the others to make back the money and get rid of them. That is why I plan on seeing if they will do the swap out for the SEL 17" alloys - besides with all the back woods driving I do (I don't do crazy 4x4's but do go off road) the 17" wheels I think would be a better fit than the bigger 18's or 20's.

I'm split on how I really feel about the keypad, yes it does seem like old technology but at the same time I think it does offer the convience of just being able to run out to the car and grab something without tracking down your keys in the house first. Also, I'm not sure but if you were at the gym or game I think that allows you to lock your keys and stuff in your car and you can still get in through the keypad.

Ford Addict - I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling the wheels cheap as in cheap-o, when I say cheap I was purely talking about the feel and touch. I don't care how much engineering goes into the making the wheels and the actual cost, when I touch them and knock on them and I hear and feel a plastic ring to them that gives me the feeling of cheap and that is no way to feel good about a $40k plus purchase.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling the wheels cheap as in cheap-o, when I say cheap I was purely talking about the feel and touch. I don't care how much engineering goes into the making the wheels and the actual cost, when I touch them and knock on them and I hear and feel a plastic ring to them that gives me the feeling of cheap and that is no way to feel good about a $40k plus purchase.

Understood but even a $200K Ferrari has plastic parts. Ours are 4.5 years old and they look brand new. A lot of people are using this technique to chrome plate plastic engine parts (intakes, etc.). To me it's better technology, not cheap

Hey Benawhile I'm with you on all weather tires, I always had them until a couple of years ago when they pass the law and made winter tires compulsory up here from Dec-15 to March15 (hefty ticket if they get you without them). And we get pretty nasty and long winters up here. So in my case it will be convenient to ride on winter tires and switch to "plastic" in the summer.

As for the keypad yes it's convenient but hate the looks of it (outdated and cheep looking). Perhaps I can remove it, get the hole plugged and re paint the door LOL

Thanks akirby for the info, it will be a temptation to trade my 2013 Edge when the new one comes with the keypad on b pillar (don’t have my 2013 yet but I will place an order in January)

• 4 weeks later...

Old thread, and I did not read through all the posts...but the biggest thing I would change is the "Ford Green" color of the instrument cluster illumination. Having owned or driven several different makes of Ford/Mercury over the years, I am here to tell you that the color has not changed. At all.

Being able to change the color like in the new Mustangs would be nice.

A simple thing that I would like myself...

And have it resort to the USB every time you turn the car on...no matter what you left it on when it was turned off. sad.gif

I'd like to see cooled seats...but for the few times I'll drive it in the summer, I'm not overly concerned.

As for the heated seats, I'd rather see the '5 dial' settings they have in the focus, rather than the Non-existant 1 setting, and the burn your arse 2 setting we have.

What? That makes no sense...if I leave my 08 on "USB", the next time I get in it is still on "USB". If I leave it on radio, then it stays on radio. Why would you want it to default to the USB port?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Edge for 2 weeks today. I agree with the center storage thing. Put in a roll-up door or something so we can access a storage area that can hold a pair of glasses in a case while we are driving. For sunglasses I have been using the visor clip-on thing for the past several vehicles. That seems adequate since I don't keep them in a case. The top of the dash also seems like the space could have been made to have an area to at least place small papers, coins or a pair of glasses as well. The doors need some sort of hand-hold in the arm rest. I'm 5'7" and the handle in the front of the door is too far forward with the weight of the door to catch the door when it springs open. I was in my office garage after only 5 days and when I opened the door it hit the side mirror of a car next to me and I already have a door ding that I put in my self. There was nothing for me to grab to stop the door once the spring kicked in. The force was not much which also makes me think that the sheet metal could be a little stronger. I hit a plastic mirror and couldn't believe how much the door gave in. I'm going to read the 'my touch' instructions, but I don't think there is a way to change the opening screen when the radio is turned on. I would like it to appear as it was when I turned the car off, but I always have to push the lower left corner to bring up the radio screen with all the info on it. All in all I love the vehicle. There's always room for improvement so those are my suggestions. I have noticed that there is some degree of learning curve when it comes to figuring out how long the nose is when parking. Definitely shorter up front than any vehicle I've ever had.

I'm 6-2 and agree about needing a door handle closer to the center of the door, or a notch on the arm rest so you can close the door easier. I park in a tight garage at home and have hit the wall once or twice already when the door opened to far before I could grab it.

I have a Limited which came with an overhead console and it has a sunglass holder which swings down. Very handy. I think I've seen on older Edges that there is a little flat spot or maybe even a lid in the center of the dash above the radio? It sure would be nice to keep my EZ Pass and other items in there, wish the 2013 had one.

I would like to see 3 settings for the heated seats. With the existing 2, high is too hot and low is too cool

It's ridiculous to have settings; Why only 3 settings? Why not Variable?

My Passat and Audi each have variable switch, the more you turn the switch the more heat you get and so you can get the perfect setting.

Another wake up for Ford, LOL

Ditto for me, too, on the steering wheel not going down far enough.

Me too...Maybe telescoping, I cant rest my arm on the door panel or right arm rest while driving. Guess its designed for shorter legged people. Oh and dont forget those darn head rest, too many blind spots. One more thing,,, I wish the Cruise control would stay "on" instead of turning off each time the ignition switch is truned off. On GM's, you just have to set it again not turn on, then set...

Edited by ioldsnut

A minor one for me would be to have some soft vinyl or leather on the driver/passenger door windowsills. Quite often when I drive I put my left elbow on the sill, and my last couple vehicles had a soft surface as compared to my Edge SEL where it's hard plastic (appears that way in the Limited and Sport too?). Not a huge deal but the soft surface keeps my elbow from getting sore!

A minor one for me would be to have some soft vinyl or leather on the driver/passenger door windowsills. Quite often when I drive I put my left elbow on the sill, and my last couple vehicles had a soft surface as compared to my Edge SEL where it's hard plastic (appears that way in the Limited and Sport too?). Not a huge deal but the soft surface keeps my elbow from getting sore!

That is something that I don't understand about the 08 "Limited"...why was all the hard plastic not swapped out for leather?

The only reason that I can think that Ford will not offer some features on the Edge, is to "push" people into the MKX. This is the main reason I got the "X" instead of the Edge, there were some features the "X" has that I could not get on the Edge. I really love the "X", but I think, at times, people think that I'm "snooty" (or hot shit) for driving a Lincoln, which, believe me. I'm not. I can pick my nose, or my ass, just as good as anyone else ! :hyper:

Edited by JOEHIO

I agree with JOEHIO,about the MKX. It was a big tamptation but at +15K more (tax included) I thought the Edge Ltd was a better deal. Also insurance and permit is higher with the MKX and what people think is also a factor - I mean I'm a simple man and the Lincoln indicates a different image than what I am