2012 Edge MoonRoof & Roof Rack

Greetings all,

I drive an '06 F-150 that I am looking at trading because the gas milage is so bad. I have my eye on an EcoBoost Edge Limited at a local dealer, but there's a couple of tricks I need to work through.

48 or 49 weeks of the year, this car would just be for commuting ~30 miles to work and putzing around town. That's why I don't want to give up the EcoBoost engine. But those other 3 or 4 weekends a year, I actually do load up my truck about as full as it will get, and go camping for 4 or 5 days. Which makes cargo capacity a concern.

I know the EcoBoost can't have the tow package. My dealer was quick to assure me that they can add an after-market hitch, no problem. I am not convinced that that's a good idea. I'd be towing less than 1000lbs, no boat or RV or anything like that. But doesn't the tow package come with better cooling and suspension and such too? Just slapping on a hitch without the other stuff doesn't seem wise.

The other option would be to get the roof rack, and just tie down the extra gear that way. Problem with that is that the roof rack and the sunroof apparently can't come on the same car. And I haven't been able to find a Limited in stock within 200 miles of here that doesn't have the sunroof. So do you guys know if there's an aftermarket roof rack that can be installed that will approximately resemble what comes on the Edges without the sunroof? Or at least won't be too ugly?

Also, what are your thoughts here on the Chevy Equinox as an alternative purchase? I was looking at them, and they seem to have most of the features that I want, without all the extra fluff that I don't need, for a whole lot less money. But I've also heard that the engine is underpowered, and that Quality Control on that model is an utter nightmare.

I think I just solved my own problem, actually. Have the dealer install a trailer hitch, and then slap in one of these:

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/69A4555A0A0.aspx

That should give me all the extra capacity I need, without having to fuss with a trailer, and without having to sacrifice the moonroof or install some ugly after-market roof rack.

I'm guessing that not having the rest of the towing package upgrades shouldn't matter if its just gonna be for a little cargo pod like that. Unless someone knows for sure that I'm wrong...?

I think I just solved my own problem, actually. Have the dealer install a trailer hitch, and then slap in one of these:

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/69A4555A0A0.aspx

That should give me all the extra capacity I need, without having to fuss with a trailer, and without having to sacrifice the moonroof or install some ugly after-market roof rack.

I'm guessing that not having the rest of the towing package upgrades shouldn't matter if its just gonna be for a little cargo pod like that. Unless someone knows for sure that I'm wrong...?

I was going to suggest that. As long as your stuff fits and doesn't exceed the weight limit then you shouldn't have any issues.

• 1 year later...