Radio/Nav system-no sound

The sound quit on my Lincoln MKX radio. No crackling, no buzz, nothing. The radio otherwise seems to work. Checked the mute button and that's not the problem.

Is there a fuse that controls just the speaker system?

I have only 1000 miles on the car and didn't want to wait for the first oil change to get this fixed.

On the other hand, I hate to wait that long.

Edited by Zippy

Your best bet is it is either a loose connection or a faulty part in the system....I know a lot about hi end audio but very lil about OEM stuff other then its all junk.....

I would take it to the dealer and let them sniff at it then they will most likely tell you to come back or try to fix it sooner then your first LOF....

This is what kinda sucks about my choice I want the limited but then I am gonna have to get rid of the stereo somehow.....

TAKE IT UP WITH THE DEALER, its your brand new car and your right to be 'jammin'

Same thing happened to me on mine, I have the THX/navigation unit. It will come on and go off, the radio will operate as normal, IE Sirius will display the song, and volume will increase in it's display. So I check the fuse for THX, #18 in the manual. It was OK.

Here is a way to access the trouble codes for it, While parked, hold in the #3 and #6 keys at the top of the radio. you enter a diagnostic page. Their is a speaker walk-around test (white noise). You will also see something like a DCP page, when you access that, their will be codes. Do NOT clear that page. Take it to your dealer.

Mine wrote down the codes and came back to me and said, (it) told him to replace the unit. It took about a week til they got a new one in. The sound would go on and off, One night I would just sit in the CUV and swore I could hear a fan running while I listened to the radio. I suspect it was a heat related failure, and the service manager told me, a lot of radio's have fan's in them.

Turns out that #3, and 6 trick works on my Escape Hybrid navigation unit also.

Same thing happened to me on mine, I have the THX/navigation unit. It will come on and go off, the radio will operate as normal, IE Sirius will display the song, and volume will increase in it's display. So I check the fuse for THX, #18 in the manual. It was OK.

Here is a way to access the trouble codes for it, While parked, hold in the #3 and #6 keys at the top of the radio. you enter a diagnostic page. Their is a speaker walk-around test (white noise). You will also see something like a DCP page, when you access that, their will be codes. Do NOT clear that page. Take it to your dealer.

Mine wrote down the codes and came back to me and said, (it) told him to replace the unit. It took about a week til they got a new one in. The sound would go on and off, One night I would just sit in the CUV and swore I could hear a fan running while I listened to the radio. I suspect it was a heat related failure, and the service manager told me, a lot of radio's have fan's in them.

Turns out that #3, and 6 trick works on my Escape Hybrid navigation unit also.

Thank you so, so much. Your answer is just the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and let him access the system.

Just curious. How did you know to do this test?

I watched the service manager access the diagnostic page, and then did it myself after I left the dealership. Also tried the same thing on the hybrid and it worked.

Their are other tricks like this you can do, to disable a seat belt chime, and/or reminders. You just have to know what and where to do them.

I guess our THX II stuff is all junk, like someone else said. LOL

Oh, Also a side note to people with the navigation system. I now have 2: one DVD based and the other CD based. Well since it costs $200 for a new DVD, I was/am a little scared of the disk getting scratched up even if it's left inside the unit's. I was able to copy both using Nero 7 and DVD43. When I installed the copies, it did report something one time, but both copies have worked flawlessly. I keep the originals in the vehicles in case something goes wrong and or it's back to the dealer for a sound unit repair and in goes the original disks.

• 2 weeks later...

So the new radio comes in and they install it only to find out that there is no sound. Now they don't have a clue what's wrong, but they said they need the car for a day to "check out the wiring." I hope this resolves quickly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Does the amp power all of the system or just the sub? Many sytems have a head that is a tuner only & has no power of its own. The amp would provide all of the power. Just a thought.

Thanks. They said they are going to replace the amplifier. They needed to order one. This is getting rather old. I've been there 4 times now without resolution. :finger:

Some times you just have to realize that these vehicles are new and not many have come thru the service department. The problems are all new and no one knows where to go. You can always learn more going to the internet. However that info is not alway available to the tech. They have access to the ford web site for common problems reported to ford, however for them to post something it has to happen to more than one person. Give it time and all problems will be solved.

• 2 months later...

Well,, piss.... Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and Monday I had put the Lincoln back into the shop for it's THIRD Nav/Radio. Couple of weeks ago, my sound had disappeared completely again. But this time, their were no trouble codes associated with the unit. I just called to see if it was ready. They can't find the problem now. They put the new radio in and their are now codes being returned that deal with the speaker volume switch on the steering wheel, and also a speed code. Service manager said he's been in touch with some factory people and they say they never heard of this.. LOL LOL

Now their running down wiring in the vehicle to see if they can find something. I get to drive an Escape to Grandma's for the holiday's, happy happy joy joy.

I wish Zippy had reported back what her problem was. I know I will for further reference to others. When I put it in the shop, I asked if there was a separate power amp for this, but I got no answer. I do not know if it's all in the head unit or not, but I do know it has a fan that runs in the radio when you turn it on, you can hear that if you listen for it, without the engine running, and no volume up.

Well,, piss.... Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and Monday I had put the Lincoln back into the shop for it's THIRD Nav/Radio. Couple of weeks ago, my sound had disappeared completely again. But this time, their were no trouble codes associated with the unit. I just called to see if it was ready. They can't find the problem now. They put the new radio in and their are now codes being returned that deal with the speaker volume switch on the steering wheel, and also a speed code. Service manager said he's been in touch with some factory people and they say they never heard of this.. LOL LOL

Now their running down wiring in the vehicle to see if they can find something. I get to drive an Escape to Grandma's for the holiday's, happy happy joy joy.

I wish Zippy had reported back what her problem was. I know I will for further reference to others. When I put it in the shop, I asked if there was a separate power amp for this, but I got no answer. I do not know if it's all in the head unit or not, but I do know it has a fan that runs in the radio when you turn it on, you can hear that if you listen for it, without the engine running, and no volume up.

thus a good reason to go aftermarket..among other reasons..keep us posted on what they say..

3 and 6 works on all pioneer nav pieces. same buttons will do different things on ford radios all the way back to early 90's.

If you were able to view the DTC's in the nav diagnostic menu and had comm failure with the SWC then the radio after the radio was swapped it was not programmed or not programmed proerly when replaced the same goes for having no audio if it's THX. It might also be the wrong radio, either misbuilt or their radio repair center sent them the wrong radio which is pretty common. The radio compatability list almost always has error and says MKX and Edge take the same radio :finger:

if it's a 2008 MY with Sync they have to reprogram the APIM and ACM if only some of the the buttons on the steering wheel work and will show a SWC POD 2 error in the nav DTC menu

Ask your dealership to start from scratch when programming the radio, pull the "as built" Hex codes for the ACM, RSEM, SDARS, PAM modules(APIM if Sync). the VCM/IDS does not always properly take the data out of the old radio if it's defective. the only thing you will lose is your stored presets if they do it this way.

the speakers cutting out makes a difference if the MKX is equipped with THX. I honestly have only heard of this issue when the internal amplifier overheats due to to high of volume for a extended time, shorting speaker wire to ground or another speaker wire, or a shorted speaker coil. the other possiblity a plug in the vehicle (back of radio, THX amp, junction behind dash or kickpanel) might not be plugged in or inserted and locked. the nav units do have thermal protection for all of the speaker circuits, so the radio will shut down all of the audio outputs if the head unit goes into thermal mode including audio signal for subwoofer. if its THX there might be a communication fault code either in the diagnostic menu of the Nav or even if they do a network test with the VCM.

BTW cloning your DVD are a great idea of backing up, but you never need to remove the DVD unless you are updating it unless I can hack these dang things to play DVD's . I have my own personal 5P and 2008 6P that I use for testing. I have yet to find a error with my copies and I find it hard to believe Navteq would do something like that since my old Alpine DVD's were protected. both 5P and 6P ripped right to my harddrive with no problems and copy with no issues. BTW the 2007 6P gave me issues even from a new disc. I didn't bother cloning since the techs at Navteq said thay had a few bad discs go out.

if I overlooked any issues post them back up or PM me