2015 Ford Edge Introduced - Edge Going Global

On that video that JimPA posted, is it just me or are the paddle shifters doing double duty as controls for audio/phone/cruise? If so, it'll be interesting to see the confusion.

Looks to be pretty similar to the current setup to me. Paddles are behind the wheel. Buttons for audio/phone/MFT/cruise are on the front.

Any idea what the vertical 1-2-3 left, next to the door lock? Seat presets?

We also lost the glitzy speedometer display from the concept, too bad.

Yep, those would be the memory presets. Just moved to the door from the current position next to/below the steering wheel.

While the speedo isn't quite as fancy as the concept, at least it now has a traditional sweep instead of swinging up from vertical at 0 MPH.

I kind of miss the "hooded" look the current dashboard has, but this one still looks clean.

Edited by nickf1011

Most of that interior is straight from the Fusion including the gauges. They work well once you get used to them. I have the left side set on instant and avg fuel economy, vertical fuel gauge and vertical tach.

Close to the same way I have my Edge configured. I usually put the fuel economy guage on the 5-minute display though. I find the instant one to be a bit distracting.

Close to the same way I have my Edge configured. I usually put the fuel economy guage on the 5-minute display though. I find the instant one to be a bit distracting.

I use the instant gauge periodically to test different things. Otherwise I don't even see it.

Hey Omar. Great video post. Can you provide a little help? How are you embedding the youtube video?.

My method that doesn't work:

LINK button

Link type: URL

Protocol: http://

URL: www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]2iqrqha_4jo[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]2iqrqha_4jo[/yt]

Workaround method

LINK button

Link type: URL

Link protocol: other

URL:

(used htp but really I use http)

[yt]htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqrqha_4jo[/yt]

[yt]

[/yt] Edited by JimPA

.. Also, any information on what the Sport will miss out on compared to the Titanium?

I don't have any information on what options the 2015 Edge Sport will miss out on.

Here is a list for the 2014 Edge Limited Option you cannot get on a 2014 Edge Sport:

Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control
Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning
High-Intersity Discharge (HID) Headlamps
Roof-Rack Side Rails (even if Panoramic Vista Roof is not added)
I hope the 2015 Edge Sport will have all the Titanium options available. I can understand Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control although I need a receiver. At least an option for a factory installed receiver for a bike rack. In researching this post, I found the link below.
Ford Towing Guide for the 2014 Ford Edge
Here is what I find interesting. On a 2014 Edge Sport, you cannot order Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control but you can still install a Ford hitch receiver.
2014 Ford Edge
Engine: 2.0L I4 EcoBoost®
Axle Configuration: FWD
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.): 1,500
Engine: 3.5L V6
Axle Configuration: FWD/AWD
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.): 3,500(1)
Engine: 3.7L V6
Axle Configuration: FWD/AWD
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.): 2,000(2)
(1) Require Class II Trailer Tow Package.
(2) Sport model with 22" wheels.
Appears the trailer sway control allows Ford lawyers to list the Edge towing capacity at 3,500 Lbs or the lack of 22" wheels.. Joking about the lawyers. Not sure I would want to tow on a unibody but the 2.7-liter EcoBoost would tempt me to tow. The Edge will be my first unibody.
Edited by JimPA

Higher standards for quality and craftsmanship

The dashboard and center console have also been carefully designed and shaped to look like one thin, streamlined piece. A central 8-inch LCD touch screen supporting SYNC with MyFord Touch is now available on even more models.

---

8" touch screen on the redesigned 2015 Ford Edge?? The 2012 - 2014 Ford Edge had an 8" touch screen. Please be a typo. The Edge concept had a 10" touch screen.

Probably not a typo. :banghead:

From Ford press:

"The dashboard and center console have also been carefully designed and shaped to look like one thin, streamlined piece. A central 8-inch LCD touch screen supporting SYNC with MyFord Touch is now available on even more models." Source: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/products/crossovers---suvs/edge/2015-edge.html

Mark Fields, Ford CEO at 37 seconds in the video below.

.."all new, ground up, from the wheels to the roof, it is brand new"..

2012 Edge, 1st generation facelift - 8" touch screen MyFord Touch

2015 Edge, 2nd generation - 8" touch screen MyFord Touch.....c'mon son (Mr. Fields). My eyes are getting older.

[yt]

[/yt] Edited by JimPA

That's why they call them concepts.

Hey akirby. I would agree with you on self park, steer and brake collision avoidance system and even LED headlamps. But an 8" to 10" touch screen upgrade? The concept was back in 2012 with introduction of MyFord Touch, not a screen upgrade, IMO. Ford said big screens and lots of them in LA. I knew the touch pads in the back of the Edge concept was a concept. Now if you say, Ford wants the next generation of MyFord Touch, non-Microsoft Sync, OS to be backwards compatible with the 1st generation Edge MyTouch and it is easier and cheaper when all units have the same 8" touchscreen, maybe.

Edited by JimPA

2015 Ford Engines

Source: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2015_Specs/2015_Edge_Specs.pdf

Twin-scroll 2.0-liter, EcoBoost 16-valve DOHC I-4 [NEW ENGINE]
2015 Edge Base engine (first EcoBoost base engine)
horsepower/kilowatt: 245 hp/
torque: 270 lb.-ft/
Manufacturing location: Valencia Engine Plant, Valencia, Spain
"In an unusual move, Ford Motor Co. is phasing out its current 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just four model years." [typically engine get replace after 10 years]
"The new 2.0 shares almost no parts with the current engine. It will deliver a better combination of fuel economy and power, Makowski said."
"Ford officials would not comment on the new 2.0’s power output, which will be rated higher than the current engine’s 240 hp and 270 pounds-feet of torque. “We don’t go backwards,” Makowski said." [current engine rating uses 91 octane to generate the numbers]
2.7-liter, EcoBoost®, 24-valve V6 [NEW ENGINE]
2015 Edge Sport engine
horsepower/kilowatt : more than 300 hp
torque: unknown
Manufacturing location: Lima Engine Plant, Lima, Ohio
Will be used in: 2015- Ford F-150 and 2015- Ford Edge
"On the other side of the engine spectrum is Edge Sport, with an exclusive, all-new 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine that will provide an exceptional combination of power and efficiency. Setting a new standard in world-class powertrain engineering, this twin-turbocharged V6 is one of the world’s most advanced engines. Drawing its design from the best of the efficient Ford EcoBoost lineup, along with the unmatched durability of Ford Super Duty Power Stroke® diesel, this 2.7-liter EcoBoost provides a remarkable combination of advanced materials expertly applied.
The 2.7-liter EcoBoost uses the same compacted graphite iron in its cylinder block as is used in the 6.7-liter Power Stroke. This advanced cylinder block allows for a remarkably stiff and compact design that returns exceptionally refined noise, vibration and harshness control. The compacted graphite iron core is mated with a die-cast aluminum engine-block ladder frame and composite oil pan, saving weight by applying advanced materials where they are needed most."
"Expected to deliver more than 300 horsepower, this 2.7-liter EcoBoost will ensure Edge Sport is the highest-performance Edge ever."
3.5-liter, 24-valve, Ti-VCT V6 [basically same Edge engine since 2011]
horsepower/kilowatt: 285 hp/213 kW @ 6,500 rpm
torque: 253 lb.-ft/343 N·m @ 4,000 rpm
Added Omar's 3.5L horsepower and torque corrections, thanks Omar.
Edited by JimPA

Any idea what the vertical 1-2-3 left, next to the door lock? Seat presets?

Interesting that the 1st generation Ford Edge's Memory Seats had 2 presets and the 2nd generation has 3 presets. Not sure if this is new to the 2nd generation Edge but 2 generation Edge can assign a seat position to a FOB such that if you unlock the door using the FOB, the door(s) unlock and the seats will go into a preset position.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-GaOfTTbZw

Edited by JimPA

3.5-liter, 24-valve, Ti-VCT V6 [basically same Edge engine since 2011]

horsepower : 305 @ 6,500 rpm

lb.-ft torque: 280 @ 4,000 rpm

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

Those are the 3.7 L engine's output (current Edge Sport), the current 3.5 makes 285 hp (213 kW) at 6500 rpm and 253 lb·ft (343 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

• Like 1

Interesting that the 1st generation Ford Edge's Memory Seats had 2 presets and the 2nd generation has 3 presets. Not sure if this is new to the 2nd generation Edge but 2 generation Edge can assign a seat position to a FOB such that if you unlock the door using the FOB, the door(s) unlock and the seats will go into a preset position.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-GaOfTTbZw

Those are Ford's new switches, in addition to new power window & door locks, available on the 2011+ Explorer, 2013+ Taurus/Flex/Fusion/MKS/MKT/MKZ, and who knows better.

I live in Qatar, generally, in the Arabian Gulf countries, only gasoline/petrol engines are offered for passenger vehicles. So for the 2015 Edge, I expect we get the 3.5 & maybe/hopefully the 2.7 Ecoboost. The 2.0 is probably not coming since it is meant for Fuel Economy & here fuel is cheap plus the idea of a 4 cylinder Edge sized vehicle wouldn't be accepted. I personally hope the 2.7 Ecoboost would come, but only if it was as powerful as the older 3.5 Ecoboost (0-60 mph time of mid 5 seconds, like the SHO).

Also, from what happened with the 2011 Explorer & 2013 Fusion, I also don't expect to get the 2015 Edge & that we'd only get it in 2016.

The Lincoln MKC has power folding mirrors, so I don't understand why Ford would leave them off the 2015 Edge. Power folding mirrors is common feature these days on cars in the Edge's price range. I'm a little disappointed they did not include them, but it's not a deal breaker, and I still plan on getting the Sport model.

The Lincoln MKC has power folding mirrors, so I don't understand why Ford would leave them off the 2015 Edge. Power folding mirrors is common feature these days on cars in the Edge's price range. I'm a little disappointed they did not include them, but it's not a deal breaker, and I still plan on getting the Sport model.

From some very quick research, the 1 generation MKX did not have power folding mirrors but the other cars in that class does have power folding mirrors. Buick Enclave has the power folding mirrors as a $50 upgrade. I know the MKX, 1 generation had rear heated seats and now rear heated seats are available on the Edge. I don't see why power mirrors won't be available at least on the MKX.