2015 Ford Edge Introduced - Edge Going Global

Jim, I think you may be right, and I hope they do include it when the production models hit the street. I think they will group it in some type package, but hope they make it standard feature on the Sport model, and thanks for the YouTube Fordowner link.

Now that we got that out the way. What do you think the horsepower for the 2.7L EcoBoost will be? I'm guessing between 330hp to 350hp. Please see the link below to more info on the 2.7L EcoBoost.

http://m.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/1410_ford_2_7l_ecoboost_v_6_inside_look/

Edited by blitz118

Jim, I think you may be right, and I hope they do include it when the production models hit the street. I think they will group it in some type package, but hope they make it standard feature on the Sport model, and thanks for the YouTube Fordowner link.

Now that we got that out the way. What do you think the horsepower for the 2.7L EcoBoost will be? I'm guessing between 330hp to 350hp. Please see the link below to more info on the 2.7L EcoBoost.

http://m.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/1410_ford_2_7l_ecoboost_v_6_inside_look/

Great topic and good link. I think Omar will be interested in the 2.7L EcoBoost. I think we lost him on the PowerFold Mirror option. ;)

Let me do some research. Interesting that the 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (3.5L EcoBoost) includes Trailer Tow Package - Class III. Doesn't have much to do this this discussion but I find that interesting.

3.5L EcoBoost:

Applications
320 hp (239 kW) @5500 rpm, 400 lb·ft (542 N·m) @2250 rpm
2015- Ford Transit
355 hp (265 kW) @5700 rpm, 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) @3500 rpm
2010–2012 Ford Flex
2010–2012 Lincoln MKS
2010–2012 Lincoln MKT
365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) @1500-5000 rpm
2010– Ford Taurus SHO[43]
2013- Police Interceptor Sedan
2013– Lincoln MKS[44]
2013- Lincoln MKT[45]
365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) @3500 rpm
2013– Ford Explorer Sport[46]
2013– Ford Flex[47]
2014- Ford Police Interceptor Utility
365 hp (272 kW) @5000 rpm, 420 lb·ft (569 N·m) @2500 rpm
2011–2014 Ford F-150[48][49][50]
380 hp (283 kW) @5000 rpm, 460 lb·ft (624 N·m) @2500 rpm
2015- Ford Expedition/Expedition EL
2015- Lincoln Navigator/Navigator L
Edited by JimPA

From blitz's link:

"Ford has not officially released power figures on the new engine, but we visited Dearborn in person to witness the new engine running on an engine dynamometer. While we were prohibited from taking any photos of the dyno display console, we can confidently tell you that it has a peak torque output of well above 300 lb-ft, which, combined with the claimed 700-pound weight loss in the 2015 F-150, should make for a plenty-responsive truck.

By its own admission, Ford is not positioning the 2.7L EcoBoost as the end-all, be-all powerhouse of the lineup, with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine remaining in the lineup as the flagship powerplant. Instead, the 2.7L is being positioned as a highly advanced, fuel-efficient engine that will serve the needs of many F-150 buyers who buy their trucks as a daily driver and occasionally use it to tow and haul but most of the time are looking to get maximum MPG and still have a fun-to-drive experience.
Ed Waszczenko, the 2.7L EcoBoost's lead engineer, shared some background about the development path this revolutionary engine took from conceptual inception to final production form. With efficiency being the primary development focus from the start, the 2.7L incorporates a variable-displacement oil pump, reverse-flow cooling system, and auto stop-start. However, the biggest difference from the 3.5L engine is the cylinder block design. Whereas the 3.5L has a traditional cast-aluminum block, the 2.7L features a two-piece compacted-graphite-iron (CGI) block and a die-cast aluminum ladder frame forming a stiff block assembly. The choice of CGI for the block material was selected for its strength and light weight, offering the durability of a traditional cast-iron block, with weight comparable to an aluminum block. CGI also has the added advantage of not needing cylinder liners, which are an extra production step necessary with aluminum blocks."

Based on an article from Truck Trend I'm going to guess the torque figures are between 350lbs-ft to 380lbs-ft for the 2.7EB. The horsepower/torque for the 3.5EB is 365hp and 420lbs-ft, and Ford is going to keep the 2.7EB horsepower and torque below the 3.5EB. The 2015 Sport will have some balls this time compared to the 2011-2014 Sport 305hp and 280lbs-ft.

For the 2.7, remember that the 2.3 Ecoboost in the MKC already makes 285hp & 305 lbs-ft of torque & in the Mustang its "over" 300 hp & lbs.-ft. The 2.7 should easily be more than both. On the other hand, Torque will NOT go beyond 350 lbs-ft. due to the transmission's limits. That's why the 3.5 was limited to 350 lbs-ft in FWD/AWD vehicles that used the 6F55 tranny (SHO/MKS/MKT/Explorer/Flex while it made 420 lbs-ft in the F-150 (RWD/AWD with a different tranny) & now 460 lbs-ft in the '15 Expedition/Navigator.

Using simple (not accurate) estimates (hp/lbs-ft per liter) from the output figures of the 2.3 & 3.5:

MKC 2.3: 285/305 == 2.7 estimated 334/358 (hp/lbs-ft).

Expedition/Navigator 3.5: 380/460 == 2.7 estimated 293/354 (hp/lbs-ft).

Mustang 2.3 expected 305/305 == 2.7 est. 358/358 (hp/lbs-ft).

My best bet, for Torque, will be limited to 350 lbs-ft (due to tranny) while hp between 330 & 360.

Omar, I did not take in account the transmission limitation, and I did not know the SHO 3.5EB torque is limited to 350lbs-ft, so the max torque for the Edge Sport will probably be around 350lbs-ft.

It should still feel good though, and still give you good gas mileage when not driven hard and the start/stop turned on.

Still working on my guess but my raw work is below. I'm going to be off the grid for a few days. FordEdgeForum should have a "Guess the 2.7L Edge Sport horsepower" and give away some vender bling (hats or tee shirts or 2015 Ford Edge Sport with PowerFolding Mirror option). I would enter only if FordEdgeForum agreed the contest was open to residents of Qatar. Omar already posted his reasoning and he makes a lot of valid points to me. Sure it would be an educated guess. I would add that the 2.7L EcoBoost is going to be available with the 3.5L EcoBoost on the 2015 Ford F150 so my guess is the horsepower won't be as close to 365 as many of us would like.

Blitz's link stated "By its own admission, Ford is not positioning the 2.7L EcoBoost as the end-all, be-all powerhouse of the lineup, with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine remaining in the lineup as the flagship powerplant. Instead, the 2.7L is being positioned as a highly advanced, fuel-efficient engine that will serve the needs of many F-150 buyers who buy their trucks as a daily driver and occasionally use it to tow and haul but most of the time are looking to get maximum MPG and still have a fun-to-drive experience."

2.0-liter, EcoBoost 2010 - 2014 [replaced with engine below]

horsepower/kilowatt: 243 PS 240 hp/179 kW @5500 rpm, 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) @1750–4500 rpm

Twin-scroll 2.0-liter, EcoBoost 16-valve DOHC I-4 [NEW ENGINE]

horsepower/kilowatt: more than 245 hp/

torque: more than 270 lb.-ft/

2.3-liter, EcoBoost [NEW ENGINE]

2015 Lincoln MKC crossover

Based upon the 2.0L EcoBoost, the 2.3L engine produces 289 PS (213 kW; 285 hp) @5600 rpm, 305 lb·ft (414 N·m) @3000 rpm. This engine will be available in the 2015 Ford Mustang, with power figures said to be greater than 305 hp (227 kW; 309 PS) @5500 rpm, 300 lb·ft (407 N·m) @2500 rpm[34]

2.7-liter, EcoBoost®, 24-valve V6 [NEW ENGINE]

horsepower: ?

torque: 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) @1500-5000 rpm [per Omar's sound reasoning]

3.5-liter, EcoBoost

365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) @1500-5000 rpm

2010– Ford Taurus SHO[43]

2013- Police Interceptor Sedan

2013– Lincoln MKS[44]

2013- Lincoln MKT[45]

Edited by JimPA

I think the 2.3L will end up closer to 275 hp/300 lb/ft and the 2.7L will end up around 330/350.

The 2.3L in the MKC is rated at 285hp/305lb-ft, but the 2.3L EB is not an option for the 2015 Edge. The engine options for the 2015 Edge are 2.0L EB 4cyl, 3.5L NA V6 and 2.7L EB V6.

The 2.3L in the MKC is rated at 285hp/305lb-ft, but the 2.3L EB is not an option for the 2015 Edge. The engine options for the 2015 Edge are 2.0L EB 4cyl, 3.5L NA V6 and 2.7L EB V6.

I was talking about the 2.3L in the mustang that hasn't been announced yet but I had forgotten the MKC numbers were already released. Mustang will be different since it's a north south configuration with different plumbing and a different tranny.

I know the Edge doesn't get the 2.3L - I was using it to extrapolate the 2.7 expected numbers.

Omar - Great catch. I didn't notice that. I wonder if that is a speaker or microphone or combo. See below.

"Edge Sport will be equipped with Active Noise Cancellation technology from Ford to manage and enhance the sound of its powerful 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. Using three microphones strategically placed throughout the cabin, the system is able to generate opposing sound waves directed through the audio system, enhancing overall cabin ambience."

Source: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/06/24/all-new-2015-edge-showcases-fords-best-technology--more-driver-a.html

It seems that the speaker looking part is only to cover the available adaptive steering since the motor for it would be behind it:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AdaptiveSteering_img_1053.jpeg

It seems that the speaker looking part is only to cover the available adaptive steering since the motor for it would be behind it:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AdaptiveSteering_img_1053.jpeg

Thanks Omar.

More information from TestDriveTV. BMW uses adaptive steering too. What I think Sam Haymart has wrong is adaptive steering isn't "a computer and gear motor physically between my steering wheel and my tires". The device is in parallel with your existing steering system and designed to fail safe.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dWPYaUHpY[/yt]

Ford Adaptive Steering System to Debut Next Year, more logical information.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1405-ford-adaptive-steering-system-to-debut-next-year/

Edited by JimPA

Blitz - Great video link.

I may have been wrong or there are two Edge Titanium in Bronze Fire or Ruby Red. The Edge Titanium in Bronze Fire or Ruby Red shown in the Ford B roll video has the Power Liftgate option. Also the Power Liftgate is different than the 2014 Power Liftgate. Instead of me trying to explain, watch the video and note the liftgate support mount points. Also good closeup of speedometer. Couldn't find this video on Ford's media site so we are stuck with the low resolution.

[yt]

[/yt]

Another 2015 Ford Edge with Parallel, Parkout and Perpendicular Park Assist with the same girl as Omar's video but another person in the passenger seat that asks more questions.

[yt]

[/yt] Edited by JimPA
  • Like 1

Jim, The power lift gate on the 2011-2014 has one strut, and the 2015 has two struts. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes and additionally the 2011 - 2014's one strut mounts inside the Edge (you lose a storage compartment due to the strut mount) while the 2015 struts mount outside the cabin, along the liftgate frame.

Yes and additionally the 2011 - 2014's one strut mounts inside the Edge (you lose a storage compartment due to the strut mount) while the 2015 struts mount outside the cabin, along the liftgate frame.

It's setup like the power liftgate on the Escape and Explorer now. Certainly an welcome and expected change.

• Like 1

Another 2015 Ford Edge with Parallel, Parkout and Perpendicular Park Assist with the same girl as Omar's video but another person in the passenger seat that asks more questions.

[yt]

[/yt]

Check out (~2:53), how close the Edge gets to the Fusion? during the perpendicular park assist. Matilda has a kill switch sitting on the dashboard. May be just the angle of the camera. I would have asked how close is the Park Assist software to release candidate.

Edited by JimPA

Same Ford Edge 2015 B roll as above but in HD (1080p)

[yt]http://youtu.be/BBew44vOlA0[/yt]

Any idea what the shifter thumb rocker switch is for ~2:53? Also [P]ark, [R]everse, [N]eutral, [D]rive and ? What is S? The paddle shifters can be used anytime so I don't think it is part of the paddle shifter system.

Edited by JimPA

It's setup like the power liftgate on the Escape and Explorer now. Certainly an welcome and expected change.

Thanks Nick. I may stop and look at the Explorer setup.

I try to use Ford's terminology when possible. I should have stated the passenger side has a strut and the driver side has a power liftgate latch piston.

Edited by JimPA