2015 Ford Edge Introduced - Edge Going Global

Same Ford Edge 2015 B roll as above but in HD (1080p)

[yt]

[/yt]

Any idea what the shifter thumb rocker switch is for ~2:53? Also [P]ark, [R]everse, [N]eutral, [D]rive and ? What is S? The paddle shifters can be used anytime so I don't think it is part of the paddle shifter system.

The S is for Sport when you want to use the paddle shifter full time. You can use the paddle shifter when you're in drive, but it will only hold that gear you selected at that time. Once you're out of that gear it goes back to drive.

Same Ford Edge 2015 B roll as above but in HD (1080p)

[yt]

[/yt]

Any idea what the shifter thumb rocker switch is for ~2:53? Also [P]ark, [R]everse, [N]eutral, [D]rive and ? What is S? The paddle shifters can be used anytime so I don't think it is part of the paddle shifter system.

It is a pre-production, the switch should not be there since paddle shifters are standard.

The 'S' is for sport mode, already available in 2013 & 2014 Edge/MKX. Basically a different programmed mode for the tranny to hold gears more and shift at higher RPMs.

The 'S' is for sport mode, already available in 2013 & 2014 Edge/MKX. Basically a different programmed mode for the tranny to hold gears more and shift at higher RPMs.

Goes back to the 2011's. Mine has "S" as well. Can't say I ever really use it much though. More often it's just a pain in the butt when I pull the shifter too far down and it automatically resets my left MFT screen to the digital tach instead of my normal fuel economy display.

Edited by nickf1011

Goes back to the 2011's. Mine has "S" as well. Can't say I ever really use it much though. More often it's just a pain in the butt when I pull the shifter too far down and it automatically resets my left MFT screen to the digital tach instead of my normal fuel economy display.

2011 & 2012 have 'M' mode, for manual control.

Also, can you please point out the procedure for setting the height of the power liftgate?

2011 & 2012 have 'M' mode, for manual control.

Also, can you please point out the procedure for setting the height of the power liftgate?

Ah. Yes "M" it is on my '11.

According to what I've read, if you open the tailgate manually, you just hold it to the desired height and then press the power liftgate button until it chimes, then it will no longer raise higher than your specified position. Should work on all Edges, Escapes, and Explorers with power liftgates. Seems to be mixed on whether they say it works on the Edge though. Never had a reason to try it on mine.

Edited by nickf1011

On the Escape you do just that - you let it open all the way then pull it down to where you want it to stop and then press and hold the close button until it beeps.

Our 08 Edge didn't have that feature so I had to raise the garage door open limit to clear it.

Edited by akirby

2014 Ford Edge How-To and Info Videos (change the year link on page)

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerVideoPage

Power Liftgate

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U655N7rDRM&fwid=1251735302076[/yt]

Edited by JimPA

That's exactly how pretty much every current Ford is setup. Grab the owner's manual for a 2013 Explorer and read all about it.

That's exactly how pretty much every current Ford is setup. Grab the owner's manual for a 2013 Explorer and read all about it.

Waldo - I agree with you but I believe the 2nd generation Ford Edge is different than 1st generation in regards to the paddle shifters. Currently you have to put the Edge into S to use the + - on the gear shift. With the 2 generation, you can use the paddle shifters anytime.

Reference:

[yt]http://youtu.be/Gfb0tcFWuHk[/yt]

Edited by JimPA

There's a process for doing that on the current Edges/MKX's with power liftgates too. Never had a reason to do it though so don't know what it is.

I really need mine to open higher. I don't ever recall reading how to do that. Please share a link or whatever.

Interesting. No video for Lincoln, but the 14 Edge one shows how to lower it from opening larger. I need the opposite. I think I'm SOL.

Yeah, I don't think you can get it to go any higher than it comes as delivered. It does hang kind of low. Can see how it could get in the way for taller folk. Perhaps this has been changed with the '15 as well?

Interesting. No video for Lincoln, but the 14 Edge one shows how to lower it from opening larger. I need the opposite. I think I'm SOL.

I don't think you are missing out on anything. I followed that link and changed it to watch how to adjust the lift gate on a 2013 Edge. It took me to videos posted by Ford about the Edge and sure enough there was one listed there for the lift gate.

Only problem? Just like the link and video tht was posted for the 2014 "Edge" here, it really isn't an Edge at all! Our lift gates do not have the close button anywhere on the bottom of the lift gate as shown in the video. It is a push button located inside the cargo area on the driver's side.

Also, the button to press when opening from the outside is not in the recess where the video shows it to be, as we don't have two openings in the lift gate on the outside as shown! Ford needs to proof read their own videos posted and make sure the car they are giving tutorials about are actually the correct cars.

Just to see what happens with the Edge, I tried to adjust my gate as per their video, using the only buttons my Edge has and not the nonexistent ones shown in the video. It did not readjust.

Has anyone actually been able to adjust their gate to open to a different height on an Edge?

On a little related news, the 2.3 Ecoboost for the Mustang has been rated at 310 hp & 320 lbs-ft if torque.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/ford-announces-official-2015-mustang-horsepower-ratings-ecoboost-v6-gt?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_72569254

Now we have to wait for the numbers for the 2.7 Ecoboost, and it has to be much more than the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Edited by blitz118

Might keep the numbers down for insurance reasons, depending on which models receive the 2.7.

What does insurance rates have to do with much horsepower Ford decides to give 2015 Edge Sport? How much horsepower do you think the 2015 Edge Sport will have? From what Omar said the only thing holding back the horsepower on the Edge is the transmission.

One of the reasons Ford limited HP/TQ numbers on the Gen IV/V Taurus SHO was due to insurance rate classification. Over 400 and it would have been in a "sport" category. They wanted to market the SHO as a family car. Info straight from insiders.

If 2.3L is breaking 300, a 2.7L could come close to 400. Easy.

Hence my suggestion.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

One of the reasons Ford limited HP/TQ numbers on the Gen IV/V Taurus SHO was due to insurance rate classification. Over 400 and it would have been in a "sport" category. They wanted to market the SHO as a family car. Info straight from insiders.

If 2.3L is breaking 300, a 2.7L could come close to 400. Easy.

Hence my suggestion.

Go to know, but I think the 2.7 Ecoboost is going to put more horsepower and torque than what they listed for the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Mustang. I know the 2.7 is not going to be no where 400 horsepower.

So how much horsepower do think the 2.7 Ecoboost in the 2015 Edge Sport will have?