2015 Ford Edge Introduced - Edge Going Global

Will they hook up AWD to anything but the 3.5L (assuming AWD is still available)?

From the main article, in the OP:

Edge equipped with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost can be specified with newly available all-wheel drive and a towing package capable of hauling a 3,500-pound trailer.

&

The available all-wheel-drive system for the new Edge is full-time, on-demand and seamless there are no knobs or switches to activate. An electronically controlled clutch, which can engage faster than a human can blink, transfers power between the front and rear axles, sending up to 100 percent of the power front or back.

I didn't find anything on the 2.7 and AWD, but if they follow the same pattern as current the 3.5 Ecoboost, it would be an AWD only drivetrain for platforms with transverse mounted engines (FWD platforms such as the Edge's). Too much torque on a FWD vehicle is calling for trouble.

• Like 1

Thanks, akirby and omar302! I do like the sound of "100 percent power to the back". Wonder if that will come into play with brake-launching :)

That's a little misleading. It can only send 100% of the power to the back when the power is very low. Think low speed snow conditions when you're being very light on the throttle, that's when it can send 100% to the back. At maximum torque, it can only send about 25-30% to the back, no different than the current Edge or any of Ford's other AWD applications.

• Like 1

It is official! The 2.7 Ecobooost in the F-150 is rated for 325hp & 375 lbs-ft. Given the expected tranny limitation on the FWD based edge, akirby seems to be spot on with around 330hp (or 325 like the F150) & 350 lbs-ft.

From the same article, the 3.5-liter V6 (non-ecoboost) produces 283 horsepower and 255 lb.-ft. of torque

http://commetsmigtest.sandbox.autoblog.com/2014/07/22/2015-ford-f-150-specs-revealed-ecoboost/

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

It is official! The 2.7 Ecobooost in the F-150 is rated for 325hp & 375 lbs-ft. Given the expected tranny limitation on the FWD based edge

The 6F55 used in the ecoboost explorer, MKS and MKT and Taurus should be able to handle it. Those top out at 365 lb/ft with more torque at lower rpm.

I think a lot of people would ditch AWD for a 400+ RWD sport model. Not that it's happening....

I don’t think an RWD Edge Sport will never happen either, and I can't speak for a lot of people, but I would prefer an AWD 400hp Edge Sport. Something for a lot less money comparable to a Jeep SRT, Porsche Macan Turbo, Mercedes-Benz GLA45 AMG and Audi SQ5.

Edited by blitz118

Well, from what I have been reading and hearing, these are the powertrain options

3.5L 285 hp V6 from the current version stays

2.7L 320 hp TT V6 (Sport only)

.....and a couple of 4 cylinders

They have released the hp/tq for the 2.7 Ecoboost for the F 150, but they have not officially released the hp/tq for Edge Sport, so it could be less, or it could me more. I'm hoping it's the same hp/tq as the F 150, but the torque could be less because of the transmission in the Edge Sport.

The FWD 6F55 can handle the torque just like it does with the 3.5L EB. Intake and exhaust changes on the transverse version along with tuning differences might result in slight differences but it should be within 10 hp and lb/ft.

The SHO torque is listed at 350, and until I see it officially released from Ford I don’t know what the torque will be for the Edge Sport, and I think Ford will play it safe and dial it down to 350 as they did with the SHO.

Edited by blitz118