Adding OEM Remote Start - Kits & Parts Explained (detailed) - 2011+

Procedure :

1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on drivers door while it is open, insert key into ignition.

2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (if the door locks do not cycle, then it was done incorrectly. You must start over by removing key and beginning from step 1)

(Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)

3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.

4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.

5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Candurin - I'll give this a shot, I haven't ordered it yet as I'm waiting to see if the distance is ok with the OEM fob.

On a side note - does anyone know how to get rid of all the stupid questions I answered in my profile which now show up under my profile pic and make my threads annoyingly long? I tried to go back and leave the questions blank, but thats not an option.

Edited by can0n4

• 2 weeks later...

I have the push button & remote start on my 2011 limited. I'm looking into something that can seriously increase its range. Its strange, (not really) but the factory RF xmittter will sometimes go 300-400 feet and other times, way shorer.

I located a cellular device that is basically a few relays triggered by a cellular module. You "call your car" and press a button and that closes the relay on a spare key fob that you've grafted to this cellular module. The article that I was reading reported that it worked great but the hack factor and monthly data charges leave me unimpressed.

Thru all your research have you tripped across a way to enhance the factory range? Either boosting the RF reception or ???

• 4 weeks later...

Factory alarm does not have a shock sensor. I enabled mine. Just simply remove the jumper plug

Happy New Year TRMN8TR.

I sadly just found out that the factory installed Perimeter Alarm is a real joke... not a "perimeter" alarm at all.

Some a-hole tried to break into my 2015 edge Titanium (302a). Front passenger window. Tried to pop the glass by hammering a screwdriver between the column and glass 5 times. The glass went into shards, not cubes, and yet did not actually break away. The vandal left with nothing but left me with over $2000 in damages.

The incident was caught on security camera. The whole time he was pounding on the glass, maybe even a kick, the alarm did not go off.

I thought the Perimeter Alarm would activate but it turns out it is only for door and trunk/hatch opening.

You say above you enabled the factory alarm shock sensor by removing a jumper.

Could you please be a bit more specific, ie) is it labelled? Is the module in the same spot as the 2014? Any other info you might have....

Thanks

Edited by lucidity

2014 Edge Limited - manual lift gate

I just got a 2 key system from fairway ford on ebay $199 + $17 for hood switch. IDS from china.

Installed system in about 15 min, would have been quicker but I mounted antenna over one of the trim retaining clip holes (DOH!)

Tried to learn new key fobs to car, only one would program other one gave error in information window.

Took the two key fobs to Home Depot and had them cut for free, sales person was scared that he might ruin the keys (he thought they had transponders in them)

Installed IDS in VM on Mac, that took 2 hours (total PITA).

Connected IDS to car, enabled security module.

Remote start vehicle -- SUCESS!

Thanks to everyone for providing the info to make this possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm new here and it looks to be a great forum.

I just aquired a 2013 Edge and installed the antenna and hood switch for the remote starter, maybe getting it turned on tomorrow. But my question is, is there a key fob (just the fob not a complete key) avalable that will work with this system? Or is the key with buttons the only option? I think I read somewhere that you can only have 4 keys programed to the car and I don't really want to not be able to use the original non remote starter keys just incase I need them down the road. Thanks

• 11 months later...

I feel like I am also beating a dead horse but this is kind of confusing to me. I have a 13 Edge SE, manual lift gate. Does anyone know what this would require. I see some people say I need the VSS, some people say just an antenna. Is it obvious to figure out exactly what I need? If there is no place to plug in an antenna then I would need the VSS, or not necessarily? Has anyone just got a key, turned everything on through Forscan for shits and giggles to try it?

Your SE would have nothing from the factory.

You need the VSS (also referred to as RMST/Remote Starter in older kits), RFR antenna and IKT for short range operation.

If you want long range/bidirectional operation you need to add a long range aerial antenna and corresponding key fob.

For smart phone operation you can add the remote access unit and pay the $50/year.

You also need a hood switch for any of the aforementioned options. You may even need the wiring for it, but you'll have to check.

Have a look at kits and part numbers in the OP and feel free to ask away.

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I'm new here and it looks to be a great forum.

I just aquired a 2013 Edge and installed the antenna and hood switch for the remote starter, maybe getting it turned on tomorrow. But my question is, is there a key fob (just the fob not a complete key) avalable that will work with this system? Or is the key with buttons the only option? I think I read somewhere that you can only have 4 keys programed to the car and I don't really want to not be able to use the original non remote starter keys just incase I need them down the road. Thanks

The single button fobs only work with the long range antenna. If you only have the short range (RFR) antenna then your limited to the IKTs. You can always add the long range aerial antenna and a transmitter easily, without any dealership visit required!

I have two knock-off remote start IKTs (still working perfectly after quite a few years) and I keep my OEM, non-remote start keys stashed away for safe keeping.

You can have up to 8 IKTs/FOBs per system. IA (push button) cars are limited to 4.

As long as you have two functioning key transmitters, you're always good to go, remote start or not.

Edited by candurin

• 3 weeks later...

Candurin,

Do you know if it's possible to just add the remote access kit? I use a chinese switch-blade key that I want to keep using and my car is in a secure parking garage at work, so Im not worried about needing an alarm. I will not have line of sight, so I don't expect the normal remote start keys to wirk and I'd rather use my phone.

Im hoping I can add it and use Forscan to enable remote start on the Edge. I do know a dealer trip will be needed to enable remote access for the pin/app.

Any thoughts?

Happy New Year TRMN8TR.

I sadly just found out that the factory installed Perimeter Alarm is a real joke... not a "perimeter" alarm at all.

Some a-hole tried to break into my 2015 edge Titanium (302a). Front passenger window. Tried to pop the glass by hammering a screwdriver between the column and glass 5 times. The glass went into shards, not cubes, and yet did not actually break away. The vandal left with nothing but left me with over $2000 in damages.

The incident was caught on security camera. The whole time he was pounding on the glass, maybe even a kick, the alarm did not go off.

I thought the Perimeter Alarm would activate but it turns out it is only for door and trunk/hatch opening.

I believe you're thinking about the Vehicle Security System, a $200 accessory installed by the dealer. It monitors even small impacts, glass brakage, etc. One smack on the windows and the alarm goes off.

Correct. Perimeter alarm is what sounds if someone opens a door or trunk while your vehicle is locked.

Shock sensor is included with either the VSS or RMST modules and has an adjustable sensitivity. It will beep once (a warning) if it detects a slight shock. It will activate the horn and lights if it detects an actual shock (mine is right on the cusp of being too sensitive as it will go off if a large truck drives past my edge).

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi--- I'm new and with most new folks as they come into forum, I have a question :)

I have a 2011 SEL and have been looking into adding the remote start. I came across this thread and it is full of awesome information and a knowledge base well beyond what I have. I have focused on the section in this thread that RustyEdge and Candurin had going a few pages back.

it sounds like he installed the kit that I have been looking at, BC3Z-19G364-A. As Rusty mentioned, it basically has an antenna and one wire. The thread that has all the pictures in it had a lot more "stuff" to hook up.

so in a nut shell, where/what exactly does the one wire connect to? I assume one end to the antenna and the other someplace on a box in the right inside panel in the back.

I sent Rusty a message on here, but not sure if he is still active

So sorry, to bring this all back up but any help would be great.

Thanks

Jake

Hey Jake, got your PM as well. It is really as easy as it sound my friend!

You take off the rear driver side panel, may need some panel removing tools or just a flathead and some elbow grease. You'll also need a T50 torx bit to remove the seatbelt. And then all you're basically doing is plugging the antenna into the TPMS box which you'll see once you get in there. Zip tie the antenna in place and bam you're done!

Here's a link to the exact item I purchased which came with a key:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-thru-14-F-150-OEM-Genuine-Ford-Remote-Starter-Kit-Plug-N-Play-FACTORY-NEW-/161501215986?hash=item259a38fcf2:g:xmYAAOSwQJhUdhSK&vxp=mtr

It says for F-150 but the part number is exactly the same so don't worry. Once the installation is complete you'll need have the system initiated at the dealer or other and they can program the key for you there as well. Otherwise you can do that yourself, which I did but then the dealer also did as part of the activation process.

Hope this helps, but I'm still alive if you have other questions. It has been a while so some of the specifics in the installation are fuzzy but it's one wire / plug so you'll have no trouble.

-Russ

Thanks so much! I was just really confused based on the mass of information. I was thinking "it really can't be that simple". plug in one wire, program and ta-da, instant remote start. But it sounds like that is all there is to it.

One other question. I have seen many reference to the display showing information. After this is "activated" is there something that should pop up on the sync 2 screen or the speedo console in the sync information boxes?

And I am glad your still here, on a lot of forums, folks come and go and I noticed in your profile that October was you last active date, so it was a crap shoot... :)

Oh, one more question, the hood switch. On the passenger side under the hood, I see a plug that seems to plug into nothing but what appears to be a blank off receptacle and above it is a hole in the cowl. Is that the plug for the hood switch?

Edited by David Jake Hale

Sorry for the delay again haha. I still get the alerts but haven't been as busy on here since I've done most of the mods I wanted to. The message that's referred to is the remote start option, which will show up in your message center once the dealer activates the feature. Apparently these cars have everything built in and just need that antenna, remote and the feature activated to work. I didn't believe it myself either but mine is sill going strong!

For the hood switch, you got the right wire. Just buy the part, like $20 online, from either ebay a dealer or any parts store and plug it into that wire. You'll see a hole right above where the current plug to no where is, slide the switch in there and plug it in.

Lmk if you need anything else. I'll receive the messages just might take me a day or so to response but I assure you I will.

GL!

-Russ

David,

It looks like Rusty has you all set with the hood pin.

If you purchased a 100 series kit, kit is basically the aerial antenna (long rectangular bar) that plugs into your TPMS module in the rear of the car and IKT (key with remote start button).

After you have everything installed your dealer will use the ford software (IDS) to activate the feature in your car. Then you will see remote start under "vehicle settings" in the cluster to the left of your steering wheel.