Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I really need new rotors at 60k?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   normcloutier

normcloutier

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

I had the 60k service done on my 13 SEL last week. Upcoming service recommendation was to have the rear brakes done (pads were at 3mm) which would include new rotors. At 60k? New rotors?

Rotors are perfect other than obviously 60k of use. No gouges or grooves.

Is this just a money grab or am I missing something here? Looking for opinions.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

Based on your evaluation of the rotor condition, I'd say money grab.  Much more important to service the calipers, make sure the brake fluid looks good, etc.

#3 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 590 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

It might not hurt to have the rotors machined to get rid of unevenly deposited friction material.  Some shops will insist on turning the rotors (or replacing them) to avoid customers coming back complaining of "warped" rotors.  Rotors don't actually warp... they get friction material from the pads unevenly deposited causing excessive runout (variation in the surface flatness) which produces a pulsing or vibration when the brakes are applied.  Machining will get rid of the variances and give you a nice even surface for the new pads to "bed" into.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#4 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,188 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

As a rule machine the rotors and put new pads on.  You should be fine for about another 60K then new rotors and pads.

#5 OFFLINE   Spree

Spree

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 55 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Just recently replaced my rear brake pads at 78,000 miles, I was also at 3mm. I had rotors turned at the same time, which was required by my local ford dealer.

#6 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

May the new pads work well with the refreshed rotors!

• macbwt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,718 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

For two previous oil changes with the dealer, they reported that I needed to replace my brakes soon. (85k).
Following this, the brakes were reported as being ok.
On the last oil change I specifically asked them to check the brakes and the reported them as being ok. (Currently 100k).
So the lesson is, ignore them and they repair themselves. heh

#8 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 154 posts
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

I always replace rotors when I do brakes.  They are only about $50 each max.  

I spend a lot of time cleaning and scraping the hub face with WD40 and a razor to make sure there are no high spots.  After all that work- I'm not putting used rotors on there since you will never get the unevenly corroded rear face of a used rotor to sit flat on the hub like a new rotor will.  That runout will be felt in the pedal.  

Not to brag, but any brake job I've ever done is always 100% smooth- never any pedal vibes at all.  New rotors, clean hubs, new slide hardware, and pads that can easily move in the caliper slides are key to that.  Sometimes you have to file off some "slag" from the backing plate ears to get the pads to easily slide in the caliper. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and chefduane like this

#9 OFFLINE   CourtneyH

CourtneyH

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:54 AM

My 2011 Edge has 66k miles, and needs new rotors. I was disappointed/surprised to need them this soon. Definitely worth having yours checked out or turned.

#10 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

I'm with IWRBB.  Every brake job that I've ever done myself (and helped out on many) I use new rotors, pads, and hardware.  Then take the old rotors to a local metal salvage and get a few bucks to offset the beer expense!  

UPDATE:  I just checked RA and they have a Power Stop 4 wheel kit (OE Daily Driver) for $193 which includes rotors, ceramic pads and hardware, slide lube, and anti-squeal compound.  And it probably takes less time to do cause you don't have to haul your rotors somewhere, wait to have them turned, and haul them back.  Just my $.02.

Edited by chefduane, 23 January 2017 - 02:43 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#11 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

IWRBB?  International World of Rotors Before Beer?  :hysterical:

#12 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,403 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

I Want Root Beer Badly?

#13 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

I would rather be blown...  I have a car with a roots blower on it, and I just made up a user name that wasn't in use on every forum out there. 

Comes from t-shirts about babys and bottles (nitrous) and the preference of having a supercharger instead.

• akirby, SoMdLimited, Tacyon and 1 other like this

#14 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

My apologies.  I had read chefduane's comment "I'm with IWRBB" as though he meant "I work for a company named IWRBB" and posted my little joke prior to realizing that he was referring to your username.

#15 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Heh Heh. Sorry for the unintentional misdirection.  I'm actually with IWoPCWADTOBJ's.  International World of Professional Chefs Who Also Do Their Own Brake Jobs.  Kinda' wordy but catchy, eh?

#16 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,403 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I'm glad you clarified Brake Jobs.........  ;)

• James Costa likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Tacyon

Tacyon

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Not so fast on the "I don't need no stinkin rotors !"

Back in the day and on my own vehicles, I used to "turn rotors" with every pad change. Its called "dress em up a bit". Like honing a piston cylinder when replacing the rings. Its what you do.

The government has virtually always had a minimum wall thickness beyond which you can no longer "turn" or "dress" a rotor. This prevents the rotor from becoming too thin and failing either at the cooling fins or the actual rotor wall itself.  I purchased a old '72 vista wagon that unbeknownst to me they'd been turned more than a few times and also suffered bad fin rot. They failed on the way home and went "full metallic". It was a gruesome sound that I don't EVER want to hear again let along loosing 80% of the breaking force. Actually got to see the inner rotor "rings" bouncing down the street behind me. True story bro.

Fast forward to "modern days" and the federal regs are still in place and since we're dealing with safety, cost of manufacture, liabilities, profits (yes, people want to make one) the manufactures of rotors have for sometime manufactured the rotors with just a bit more wall thickness then is needed to be "just thick enough".

Look at it this way. You heat craze (cracks in the surface of the metal) a rotor, or stop very hard and the heat causes it to warp giving you the "bounce" in the petal when you stop. A mechanic is more than likely to replaced it because of any or all of the reasons above. Turn a rotor to resolve warpage or heat damage and it'll leave you at the limit.... so you've wasted your time trying to turn them and end up needing to replace the rotors anyways.

Now, the manufacture sees this trend in replacement vs turning a rotor and ask themselves, why should we make a rotor that can be turned 2, 3, or 4 times when it's just going to get tossed (save $$$). Also, brake lathes in the corner shop are becoming a thing of the past as well due the the above reasons.

Now, take all this and put your lovely wife, sweet kids, and mans best friend, your dog, in the back seat and have your brakes fail on the expressway at 70mph. You'll be rethinking that $50 - $150 bucks per corner that you saved by NOT replacing those rotors.

Yes, I've  been (on my personal vehicle) a "pad stuffer" but only one pad cycle. Then it all gets replaced by me. Pads, calipers, & rotors. I do this because I know how I drive. I know what the brake hardware is supposed to look like and I'm taking responsibility for my hardware. And I'm confident that a rotor will be (and has been) fine to 1-3 pad cycles with my driving and the rotors I use.

To the question of "at 60k, 70k, 80k, do I really need to do this?  That is a question who's answer is predicated on "how do you drive?"  If you drive aggressively and brake hard a majority of the time you'd have to replace the hardware more often then my grandma does. God rest her sole.  I've known some very laid back drivers whos tires and brakes last a virtual life time. Heck, the tries almost dry rot before they're out of tread.

TL:DR -> its a safety thing, at 50-60k, why gamble on your loved ones lives or yourself for a few bucks. To quote Nike - "Just Do it."

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, enigma-2 and James Costa like this

#18 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Yes, I've  been (on my personal vehicle) a "pad stuffer" but only one pad cycle. 

It's "pad slapper", ie "slap a new set of pads on there", ya know what every Midas store advertises.  :)

Edited by IWRBB, 23 January 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Tacyon

Tacyon

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

No, I didn't know that. I rarely watch the boob tube.

I've always referred to it as "stuffer" as I'm stuffing the caliper with new pads. But yea, same thinking and gets the "shade tree mechanic" idea in there.

#20 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I second what Tacyon said.  Especially about the dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users