#1 OFFLINE   skynyrdmh

skynyrdmh

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

Well it happened. The bulletproof 3.5 just blew a head gasket. Still runs smooth but gets hot after about 5 min of running and yup the dreaded *mix* of coolant/oil in the oil pan. Just happed out of the blue.  I do not have the time to fix myself as I have way to many irons in the fire right now. Including a new bathroom remodel I am in the middle of, my daughters wedding that's happening in December, etc.

Anyone in the Columbus area know of a good/fair/reliable mechanic I can turn to, to get this job done?? I am also curious if anyone else has gone through this and what is a ballpark charge??  Or is it even worth it and maybe just look for a used engine??

Thanx all.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   erikrichard

erikrichard

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

I think it's far more likely that your internal water pump seals failed creating overheating and coolant in the oil. This is a common problem with the 3.5l, and I haven't seen any blown head gasket issues in my searches on the 3.5l issues. Whether it's worth to fix depends on how long you drove it with contaminated oil.

Edited by erikrichard, 10 October 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#3 ONLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,332 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:36 AM

Local shops charge around 12-13, Ford garage will be up around 2k. Heres a video showing how to change the water pump, guides, tensioner and chain.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Ntrain2k

Ntrain2k

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

It's moved now.

Edited by Ntrain2k, 12 October 2018 - 05:45 PM.

• onyxbfly likes this

#5 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,808 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted Today, 05:11 AM

The water pump failed.  Highly doubt the head gaskets have fail unless you drove to near catastrophic over heating and complete failure.  More to it than just a new water pump though.  Pump, VCT's, guides, chain, tensiors etc.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users