spark plugs

modelt

I agree with Railroad. Likely a hose loose or disconnected. Or a loose nut behind the wheel. hysterical.gif

Changing spark plugs and making the gap smaller, sometimes will cause a decrease in gas mileage--- the wide gap actually ignites the mixture better. Ford says that the ignition system will run the plugs 100,000 miles. That probably is a conservative figure and I'll bet that closer to 125,000 before any misfire would be a closer estimate---

Years ago when I was in the diagnostic equipment business, we (as a manufacturer) had a good relationship with the spark plug manufacturers and they all agreed that when a decent ignition system is available, spark plugs would be a seldom used item in aftermarket parts.

There was a time when 10.000 miles was the recommended change point-- then it went to 12,000, then 25,000 and now it's at 100,000 miles. As long as there is no misfire, there is no reason to change plugs till you get to 100K----or whatever is recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle!

Edited by flyerjmr33

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack but had a quick spark plug question.

I keep reading up on how people are chaning sparkplugs in this motor and either reciving decent or bad MPG.

It seems that its got to be either the selection of brand or type of plug or the gap.

I was wanting to purchase a set of plugs and only want to do the job once since I gotta pull the intake manifold.

I think i read that the oem motorcraft plug has a platinum 'fine wire' design

Well i went ot autozone and they didnt have the motorcraft ones in stock. I was sold a set of autolite double platinum APP5364

I checked online and the double Plat's dont have that fine wire in them. But the XP5364s have it.

Would it be a good idea for gas mileage to return the double plats for the XP's? (keep in mind the XP's are $2 more per plug.

What is fine wire and what does it help? It sounds like just a thinner tip.

Thanks All.

Dual plats are called for in a motor that alternates the firing of some plugs from from one electrode to another (anode to cathode, and then cathode to anode). Many Chrysler motors sport this "feature".

The fine wire is typically used in a plug that sports iridioum instead of platinum in the center electrode. Some even sport plat on the other electrode.

In my opinion, any plug of the proper temperature range, resistance, length and gap should provide the same fuel economy, at least initially. Plat and iridioum simply last longer in today's electronic ignition systems.

Use the OEM plug. The fuel economy will not go down.

I tried the Bosch plus 4 plugs in my Pacifica, fuel economy went down by 4 mpg, replaced them with the OEM plugs, fuel economy returned.

I learned a lesson, the engineers at the factory do know what they are doing. I had to pull the intake manifold also. ( twice...Ugg)

I have not had to replace my plugs on my edge (only 3000 miles) but when the time comes, I will use the OEM plugs.

Edited by boogity

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good information on the website. We have an 07 Edge, and I need to replace the spark plugs. I've read several of the posts about doing this, and it surely seems like a job I could tackle. Just for giggles, I stopped by a local dealership to see what a plug change would cost. I know that many times paying someone who has the right tools and experience in doing the job at hand, it is worth the money. However I about passed out when the service writer told me the price. After 6 plugs at $15 a piece, 10 gaskets (of which I only knew of one), and labor, the estimate came to $575!!

I know the intake needs to come off and several other things have to be removed, but that sounded really high to me for a plug change. Any thoughts anyone?

CFDBattChief

We own an '07 Edge SEL Plus, and I went by a local dealership the other day to get an idea of what it would cost to get new spark plugs installed. I realize that the intake and other items need to be removed in order to do this, but I was shocked at the quote. Ten gaskets and 6 plugs (at $15 each) plus labor came to $575! Does this sound reasonable to anyone?

CFDBattChief

That video was very informative, even though I don't think the 3.5 is quite like that. I guess the factory didn't use anti seize?

Just an example of what it takes to change the plugs in a modern motor.

Don’t think the intake manifold needs to be removed on the V8/10’s, etc.

That’s why it cost SO much, lots of hours = big $’s.

ab

You'll only get a gain if the old plugs were misfiring.

thank you for pointing that out. there are no spark plugs in the world that will give you horsepower gains people. please understand what component you are replacing before you go looking for an aftermarket upgrade! "Vendors" all over the world are more than happy to tell you their "product" will provide performance or economy gains, but have no substantial evidence of such. once the current passes from coil to plug that is the end of the process for the spark plug. it has no modules that can be programmed or switches that can be turned up. all it does is create an arc of electricity which ignites fuel.

At current, there are no known better conductors than the materials being used in virtually all spark plugs, so no matter what the claims say, the only change you make in the way of spark plugs is the gapping of the electrodes. and if you try to "hot gap" an EFI engine you'll be coming to see me at the dealership very quickly.

i can assure all of you with almost 100% confidence that factory plugs will give you the all around best experience in the way of service life, durability, cylinder head depth, gapping, and ignition cycles. NGK is a good alternative as well as long as you stay away from "split fire" style

Just an example of what it takes to change the plugs in a modern motor.

Don't think the intake manifold needs to be removed on the V8/10's, etc.

That's why it cost SO much, lots of hours = big $'s.

ab

correct!

3 valve engine tune up runs 269.95 for V8's with the coil on plug design if no spark plugs break. if a plug breaks you're looking at an additional hour labor per hole that breaks. they can add fast.

V10's and 5.4 3 Valves are notorious

• 6 months later...

Have you guys ever used the Pulstar plugs? Those are awesome!! That actually give a horsepower gain just by installing them?

i am seriously thinking about getting a set for my 08. i used a set in my 08 Escape 2.3l and gained 3.5mpg just from the plug swap, nothing else was changed. a buddy in NY swears he got a 5mpg jump from them on a v6 malibu.

i am seriously thinking about getting a set for my 08. i used a set in my 08 Escape 2.3l and gained 3.5mpg just from the plug swap, nothing else was changed. a buddy in NY swears he got a 5mpg jump from them on a v6 malibu.

The only reason for the increase in mileage is because you were experiencing misfire from the old plugs---

• 6 months later...