Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors

akirby, I use my side mirrors to back out of a rather long and somewhat twisting driveway. Setting up the side mirrors to eliminate the blind spot makes them useless for backing up. I think the addition of the blind spot mirrors is my next mod. I just wanted to point out that your solution to the blind spot problem does not work for everyone.

This argument could easily be resolved if someone would post a link to the professional site where the testing was done to PROVE/DISPROVE that the EDGE/MKX does/does not HAVE a blind spot.

Until then I’ll testify that my mirrors ARE adjusted properly BUT I do have a blind spot.

It’s located from about 5’ off the bumper to about the rear door.

I checked my mirror yesterday looked over my shoulder (YEP still see nothing but the post).

BUT I COULD NOT SEE that Firebird hiding beside me.

I didn’t hit him but he decided it was time to move on when I put my tires on the stripe.

ab

I understand the concept you are trying to get across, but it does not change the fact that placing your mirrors in this configuration makes them useless for backing up. I think adding the blind spot mirrors gives you the best of both. My F250 of course has dual mirrors, and it has sort of spoiled me.

Just providing information - you determine what's best for you. I can still see to backup by leaning my head all the way over to the left or right as necessary but it's certainly not convenient.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe they offer both heated and non heated

ya, but i'm actually asking if it's possible to upgrade to heated, if you can just plug it into the harness, or if it's a different harness all together. Basically i'm wondering if the car is wired for heated mirrors but the mirrors themselves just arent the heated model. I would love to add heat to my mirrors as the rearview mirror doesn't show alot in this vehicle. and winter in canada pretty much makes your side mirrors useless without heat.

ya, but i'm actually asking if it's possible to upgrade to heated, if you can just plug it into the harness, or if it's a different harness all together. Basically i'm wondering if the car is wired for heated mirrors but the mirrors themselves just arent the heated model. I would love to add heat to my mirrors as the rearview mirror doesn't show alot in this vehicle. and winter in canada pretty much makes your side mirrors useless without heat.

I wouldn't think so. Pull off your mirror glass and see if the contacts are there

Old Mirror (contacts on left)

th_Mirrorbacking.jpg

New mirror (contacts on right) (in pictures)

th_Newmirrorbacking.jpg

A topic I'd like to know as well. I have not even been able to find the blind spot mirrors with heating at any of the usual discount fort parts suppliers.

I do know that at least on my car (2010 SE), the wiring harness does NOT have the wiring for heated mirrors, nor is there a relay for that. Not insurmountable, but not a simple "plug and play" either.

you need to find a new car on the lot with heated mirrors, get the VIN # and then any autobody shop or Ford dealer would be able to get the part.

The heated mirror wires are separate from the mirror motor housing. I guess you would need to run something from the rear window defroster switch to the mirrors themselves

Good luck This day and age you would think heated mirrors would be a required safety option

• 1 month later...

I don't know if its possible with the Edge, but my dad busted the mirror on his Cadillac Seville. We got another one cheap off ebay, but it was the wrong color. I figured out I could just pop the mirror out of the old housing and replace the broken mirror (the housing itself was fine). So I'm wondering if you can do the same with the Edge. Just pop in the mirror with the blindspot insert in the current Edge housing.

I don't know if its possible with the Edge, but my dad busted the mirror on his Cadillac Seville. We got another one cheap off ebay, but it was the wrong color. I figured out I could just pop the mirror out of the old housing and replace the broken mirror (the housing itself was fine). So I'm wondering if you can do the same with the Edge. Just pop in the mirror with the blindspot insert in the current Edge housing.

It's an easy IDY.

Go back to pg 2 of this thread, detailed instructions AND HOW to get the right part #.

ab

• 2 months later...

frankly.. I would be surprise if they did NOT fit. the mirror bodies look identical, and not sure why a new mirror with blindspot would require the remaking of a different body. If anything, it would be financially prudent to tweak as little as possible.. which in this case would seem to be leave the body, tweak the mirror and keep using the same bodies.

I think the bigger question would be how costly for just the mirror or must you buy the entire color matched body/mirror system and/or how hard would it be to access and remove the existing mirror assuming you even can. I could also seem them make this a closed system such that when you break a mirror, you must pop for a whole new body/mirror. that would also be a better part money maker for them.

post-2453-1226453209_thumb.jpg

I work for a big Ford dealership in Phoenix. The integrated mirrors are about $85ea, and will snap right in to all Edge's. Just go into your local parts department and ask for mirrors from a 2010 Edge ;)

Edited by 1fordan

• 5 months later...

I have 2008 lincoln MKX, went to the dealer today and tried to order the newer mirror (9T4Z17K707D) and the parts guy told me this mirror wont work on the lincoln MKX??? is there a diffrent part number for the MKX vs the EDGE?

That’s the Edge part # (9T4Z17K707D) I used on our 08 MKX, ordered and installed Nov. 08

BUT

One of these days I’m going to visit our MKX dealer and get one for a 2010, it’ll have the auto-dim feature, which we miss!

ab

That’s the Edge part # (9T4Z17K707D) I used on our 08 MKX, ordered and installed Nov. 08

BUT

One of these days I’m going to visit our MKX dealer and get one for a 2010, it’ll have the auto-dim feature, which we miss!

ab

I ordered one yesterday, it will be here tuesday and the dealers body shop will install it for me.