Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors

Wouldn't work, too many pieces but I think the motor providing it has that plastic disc attached is only about 25-30.00

I'll let you know

huh, looks like that disk would snap clip right off now :) epoxy that ringed edge of the disk to the ringed edge of the motor, and maybe - hard to tell by photos - there is a center piece of plastic that also snapped & would need epoxy?

but anyway, keep us in the loop. now that you have it off.. and will have to put something back on, you putting the old one and sending the new ones back or what?

huh, looks like that disk would snap clip right off now :) epoxy that ringed edge of the disk to the ringed edge of the motor, and maybe - hard to tell by photos - there is a center piece of plastic that also snapped & would need epoxy?

but anyway, keep us in the loop. now that you have it off.. and will have to put something back on, you putting the old one and sending the new ones back or what?

There was a center piece within that disc that was a ball shape with a spring behind it and attached by plastic to both the housing disc and the motor itself. Would be nearly impossible to glue together. Additionally the whitish arms or fingers you see on the first photo attached to the housing disc were not to be removed from the motor and are now very difficult if not impossible to seat back into those rubber boots on the motor. I did a good job is screwing it up believe me. I would love to hear if someone has a "trick" in getting those clips removed. I will be taking it to the guy at Ford who told the body shop guy (my brother) that it would be easy to remove and replace. May have to wait till Wednesday or Thursday when the parts come in

Hello again

Sad to say but...

I attempted to install the new mirrors today. Actually my brother did and before I could tell him to do the right side first in case it broke or had problems it was too late. I made a 150 mile trip to meet him at my fathers for a pre-Thanksgiving get together so I didn't want to drive home without a driver side mirror. Anyhow he had a hard time in getting enough room to see behind the mirror and as he was working the screwdriver to release the clips the mirror glass suddenly did pop off. Problem was that the disc attached to the motor where the new mirror would connect to also came off as in snapped off. It is very difficult to get these clips off, even after seeing just how it was held in and trying the other mirror my brother just had to stop in fear of that one breaking also. I now have a taped on left side mirror and will see if the motor can be replaced or just buy a complete left mirror assembly, hopefully an '09 if there is no change in design or mounting brackets.

The first picture will be the old mirror as it came off with the motor housing disc still attached. I also have 2 pictures of the back side of the new mirror showing the clips

Old mirror with the motor disc attached

th_11-16-08003.jpg

New mirror

th_11-16-08010.jpg

th_11-16-08007.jpg

I have a friend just like your brother.

We try to keep ALL tools especially sharp ones away from him.

ab

A few more pictures of mirror motor and what you will see once the glass is off. The motor seems fairly easy to replace (3 torx screws), I removed it but didn't totally take the wiring harness off

Going "Ghetto" for a couple of days 'till this is corrected

th_11-17-08001.jpg

Various motor pics

th_11-17-08008.jpg, th_11-17-08006.jpg, th_11-17-08004.jpg

th_11-17-08002.jpg

This shows the mirror glass removed from what should be attached to the mirror motor

The 2 silver clips get transferred to the new mirror. There are a total of 8 small black clips that hold the glass on. Very easy to "Snap" new mirror into place once old mirror is removed. The key is getting the old one off without damage

Edited by tpm419419

Thanks ab

But my brother has owned a body shop for years and now manages one. He told me he never replaces the glass for this reason. He always replaces the entire mirror or sends it out. Guess I should have listened to him :angry:

OOPPSS sorry, I was not :poke:

Sometimes I forget that SOME forum's I visit have a zero tolerance for wit and humor.

I'm on my way to the Ford dealer, Thanks for the pictures they will help A LOT.

ab

A few more pictures of mirror motor and what you will see once the glass is off. The motor seems fairly easy to replace (3 torx screws), I removed it but didn't totally take the wiring harness off

Going "Ghetto" for a couple of days 'till this is corrected

th_11-17-08001.jpg

Various motor pics

th_11-17-08008.jpg, th_11-17-08006.jpg, th_11-17-08004.jpg

th_11-17-08002.jpg

This shows the mirror glass removed from what should be attached to the mirror motor

The 2 silver clips get transferred to the new mirror. There are a total of 8 small black clips that hold the glass on. Very easy to "Snap" new mirror into place once old mirror is removed. The key is getting the old one off without damage

The only way to get those white clips back into the motor are to take the boots off the motor, then pop those white clips off the plate, then push the small ends of the clips into the larger ends of the boots. then you pop the clips into the motor and tuck the boots back in around them to seal the motor. Its a pain but can be done. then reattach the plastic ring. That should work assuming its the same set up as most of fords mirrors.

Thanks Druck52 but unfortunately one of the white clips snapped off in frustration of trying to get it back in but mainly because the center portion of the motor bracket snapped off which you can see in the picture and would be near impossible to glue back. I ordered another motor which should be in by Wednesday. I thinking I should have ordered 2 motors because I don't see the other one going much easier. Motor cost about 30.00 so it isn't too bad.

Thanks for the info however

Thanks Druck52 but unfortunately one of the white clips snapped off in frustration of trying to get it back in but mainly because the center portion of the motor bracket snapped off which you can see in the picture and would be near impossible to glue back. I ordered another motor which should be in by Wednesday. I thinking I should have ordered 2 motors because I don't see the other one going much easier. Motor cost about 30.00 so it isn't too bad.

Thanks for the info however

Well i'm glad it worked out then, the motor is fairly cheap. You are lucky you can get just the motor. Alot of the mirrors can only be ordered as an assembly.

Hello again

After thinking it through and experimenting with the old mirror glass and motor disc that was broken off I figured how to get the mirror glass off. If you look at the picture you will see the outer tabs where the screwdriver will sit. One of these tabs are in the top upper corner. you want to have a screwdriver just wide enough so when you twist it it will come in contact with that tab so it pushes up. At this point a put a couple of plastic wire ties into the opening so it wouldn't clip back into place. On the other top corner the tab will be replaced by a recessed hole whereas you will stick a flat screwdriver, twist and pop up the mirror glass. You may need a narrow shank driver to get more usable leverage or to be able to angle it into the hole.

The picture should say it all.

Unfortunatly my new mirrors are with my brother, waiting for the mirror motor to come in so I couldn't pop in the new ones. That should happen tomorrow.

My main concern now looking at the pictures I took of the new mirror glass is if the "Blind spot" part of the new mirror will interfere with the round mounting plate of the '07 or '08 model mirror motor. Or is it recessed enough so the plate simply covers over it. If someone receives their mirrors in the mail today maybe you can let us know

th_OldMirrorremoval.jpg

Hello again

After thinking it through and experimenting with the old mirror glass and motor disc that was broken off I figured how to get the mirror glass off. If you look at the picture you will see the outer tabs where the screwdriver will sit. One of these tabs are in the top upper corner. you want to have a screwdriver just wide enough so when you twist it it will come in contact with that tab so it pushes up. At this point a put a couple of plastic wire ties into the opening so it wouldn't clip back into place. On the other top corner the tab will be replaced by a recessed hole whereas you will stick a flat screwdriver, twist and pop up the mirror glass. You may need a narrow shank driver to get more usable leverage or to be able to angle it into the hole.

The picture should say it all.

Unfortunatly my new mirrors are with my brother, waiting for the mirror motor to come in so I couldn't pop in the new ones. That should happen tomorrow.

My main concern now looking at the pictures I took of the new mirror glass is if the "Blind spot" part of the new mirror will interfere with the round mounting plate of the '07 or '08 model mirror motor. Or is it recessed enough so the plate simply covers over it. If someone receives their mirrors in the mail today maybe you can let us know

how funny.. having reviewed your images, and exactly what happened, I got to thinking and I came today with some similar conclusions and was coming here to write them. I think what got your brother in trouble is that he used his screw driver as a pry bar, and that broke bit right off with the forward pulling pressure he applied. but the real key is to use it in a twisting fashion. like you said, you slide long thin flat head driver it into the "tabs" as you saw and twist the handle and move on to the next one, do not pry forward. that twisting rotating movement should seperate them and not put that forward pry pressure your brother did. and it seems you came to the same conclusion and beat me to the punch.

as for motor versus mirror.. logic would tell me it is the same motor. I would be hard pressed to believe they took the time and cost to revamp a motor design just for the mirror. seems like the mirror is the only thing they would would put R&D into to development and try to do so using the existing proven motors they have. at least... that is logical.

I just installed the mirrors, took about 30 minutes, the passenger side did not come with the metal tabs so I had to use the ones I took off the vehicle, and they are not auto dimming, so their is no way to hook it up. The only hard part I found was getting the new mirrors to snap in.

post-4593-1227031183_thumb.jpg

post-4593-1227031229_thumb.jpg

Edited by er65nsunny

well done

can you get better photos.. those kinda blow :)

any other tips on your install... how you actually pulled them off with finesse, what tool, what angle?

I used a small long flat screwdriver and bent back on the four top tabs that hold the mirror glass to the motor mount, then pryed up on the motor mount tab as tpm419419 showed in the picture he posted and it popped right off, the hardest part is to get the new mirrors to snap on. I redownloaded the pictures, hope the come out better.

well done

can you get better photos.. those kinda blow :)

any other tips on your install... how you actually pulled them off with finesse, what tool, what angle?

I used a small long flat screwdriver and bent back on the four top tabs that hold the mirror glass to the motor mount, then pryed up on the motor mount tab as tpm419419 showed in the picture he posted and it popped right off, the hardest part is to get the new mirrors to snap on. I redownloaded the pictures, hope the come out better.

Did anyone find out what the difference was between the parts with and without puddle lamps? I am about to order the mirrors for my 08 Edge Limited with puddle lamps. Just to verify the part numbers are:

you want 9T4Z17K707B and 9T4Z17K707D if you have the puddle lamps.??

Correct?

Thanks

Did anyone find out what the difference was between the parts with and without puddle lamps? I am about to order the mirrors for my 08 Edge Limited with puddle lamps. Just to verify the part numbers are:

you want 9T4Z17K707B and 9T4Z17K707D if you have the puddle lamps.??

Correct?

Thanks

Do you have heated mirrors? As was mentioned before the puddle lamp itself is not part of the mirror wiring. BUT if your car has puddle lamps then maybe it will also have heated mirrors. You may not have one without the other (just a guess)

Do you have heated mirrors? As was mentioned before the puddle lamp itself is not part of the mirror wiring. BUT if your car has puddle lamps then maybe it will also have heated mirrors. You may not have one without the other (just a guess)

Yes I do have heated mirrors, thanks. I am also wondering why one mirro would be a litlle more money than the other, aren;t they identical pretty much?

Yes I do have heated mirrors, thanks. I am also wondering why one mirro would be a litlle more money than the other, aren;t they identical pretty much?

They look identical to me except the right side mirror still has an overall convex shape whereas the left mirror is flat glass. If the right side is more money then that would make sense. Just a guess on my part