Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors

Is this the first MKX mirror conversion?

On to the next project...

ab

Mine will be here soon. Do you have any additions to the remove & install instructions posted here? I am a bit nervous about removing & destroying something on my mirrors. But if I can install roof racks & bug deflector, I am sure if I am careful I can do this also. Please post any updates.

thanks

Mine will be here soon. Do you have any additions to the remove & install instructions posted here? I am a bit nervous about removing & destroying something on my mirrors. But if I can install roof racks & bug deflector, I am sure if I am careful I can do this also. Please post any updates.

thanks

As long as you twist the flat screwdriver to separate it from the motor "disc" you will be fine. At worst if you should break the motor housing it will only be a 25-30.00 additional charge. The motor is VERY easy to replace

thanks

Here's a picture that might help.

Don't forget to rotate the whole mirror towards the front then push the glass down and to the left or right.

Shine you flash light in and you'll see the tabs.

I found it helped to push a small screwdriver into the gap created when you pry the first tab open, you'll have to remove it after the second tab so you can rotate the glass for access to the other 2 top tabs.

Take your time and be gentle.

Then just wiggle the glass out, unhook the heater wires.

That small screwdriver will help with unhooking the Electrochromic plug.

Hope this helps

ab

post-3705-1227236391_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to rotate the whole mirror towards the front then push the glass down and to the left or right.

I found it helped to push a small screwdriver into the gap created when you pry the first tab open, you'll have to remove it after the second tab so you can rotate the glass for access to the other 2 top tabs.

Hope this helps

ab

so your saying there is not enough wire to pull the glass away, turn it around and unhook the pigtail plug? you must undo the pigtail plug at the same time you undo the tabs & with a screw driver?

now that a few of you have pulled it off..

how about coming back in a few days and posting your thoughts about before/after on these mirrors? I would be curious to hear what you think.. worth the effort, work as well they seem to look like they would, any unexpected pitfalls?

Best 80 bucks I've spent in a long time! :D

This should be a TSB if not a recall. BUT NOT just the Edge/MKX most of the 4 door cars I've owned for the past decade at least have a big blind spot.

I have to lean forward and look around the post.

These 4 pictures are from a 6 picture burst on my XSi...Very revealing.

ab

post-3705-1227239411_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1227239464_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1227239647_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1227239735_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

ab

I find it is much easier prying at the 3 tabs which I circled in the picture. pry the top tab and then one of the lower tabs and it will come right out. The picture shows the motor "Disc" still attached as someone yanked it off (they didn't twist the screwdriver)

post-1555-1227272381_thumb.jpg

Edited by tpm419419

I just find it hard to believe that people would endure years of blind spots when the answer is as simple as moving the side mirrors out a few degrees and takes less than a minute to complete. Like I said, I'm not against the technology - I'm just against the notion that you can't drive safely without them. But it is amusing to see just how much time, effort and money you guys throw at all these "mods". I guess I lost my desire to tinker as I got older.

I just find it hard to believe that people would endure years of blind spots when the answer is as simple as moving the side mirrors out a few degrees and takes less than a minute to complete. Like I said, I'm not against the technology - I'm just against the notion that you can't drive safely without them. But it is amusing to see just how much time, effort and money you guys throw at all these "mods". I guess I lost my desire to tinker as I got older.

Kirby

With the use of a blind spot mirror you can get a "bigger picture" at just one glance. As a professional driver for 30+ years I would say every vehicle has some degree of blind spots. Yes moving and turning your head may reduce those blind spots but using a blind spot mirror enables you to see the possible "danger" quicker then having to change your driving position by turning and or moving your head. My tractor trailer has less blind spots then my personal vehicle because of the amount of blind spot mirrors I have installed on it (5) not counting the large west coast mirrors on either door. My only true blind spot on my truck is directly behind the trailer which could be lessened by putting a backup camera there

To each their own

I just find it hard to believe that people would endure years of blind spots when the answer is as simple as moving the side mirrors out a few degrees and takes less than a minute to complete. Like I said, I'm not against the technology - I'm just against the notion that you can't drive safely without them.

The answer is not just "as simple as moving the side mirrors" - you are painting with a pretty broad brush to claim as if that one step is "the answer" to blind spots and everyone is just clueless. Simply not true. I guess Ford did not agree either, as they created this device. Plus, I do not think anyone here ever said "I can't drive safely without them". But you could drive safer if you have them as I think many see it. And like I said earlier, it is easy to say what you say having the benefit of electric mirrors you can "adjust in less than a couple of minutes". Every had an old car that had fixed side mirrors out on the fender? I did. You wouldn't want that nowadays BUT could live with it. You gained by usage of electric adjustable mirrors, but seem to cherry pick and forget about that gain that makes it so easy to move those mirrors of yours.

But it is amusing to see just how much time, effort and money you guys throw at all these "mods". I guess I lost my desire to tinker as I got older.

to bad for you.. stuff can be pretty fun to do. evolving an inferior product.. human nature. Plus, anymore, I just think it in your nature to be a contrarian just for the sake of being a contrarian at times :blink:

so your saying there is not enough wire to pull the glass away, turn it around and unhook the pigtail plug? you must undo the pigtail plug at the same time you undo the tabs & with a screw driver?

Plenty of wire to pull the mirror a little way from the housing.

ab

Most drivers don't adjust their mirrors properly and at least some drivers do not do the over the shoulder glance before changing lanes. This technology will help them and it will give people who do follow the procedures extra help. It's a nice added safety feature.

The answer is not just "as simple as moving the side mirrors" - you are painting with a pretty broad brush to claim as if that one step is "the answer" to blind spots and everyone is just clueless. Simply not true.

If you properly adjust the side mirrors and quickly glance over your shoulder, there is no blind spot. A vehicle will move out of the rear view mirror into the side view mirror and out of the side view mirror into your peripheral vision. That's the point of adjusting the side mirrors.

You keep implying that even with properly adjusted mirrors and an over the shoulder glance that there is still a blind spot that only this new mirror can prevent. That is totally, blatantly false.

ohhh man ablb.. akirby is gonna have a conniption fit when he sees what you did :do what:

anyway.. you really do not see a need for both mirrors if that 1 is soooo great?

These pictures were my first attempt and they did turn out pretty good.

Big enough blind spot (see pic's 3 & 4 in my post above) to hide a Chevy Blazer.

The camera was about where my wife's 5'6" eye would be.

I didn't change the passenger mirror, I haven't noticed a blind spot.

Plus I can't see the point in adding a convex mirror on top of a convex mirror :headscratch: .

:beerchug:

ab

You keep implying that even with properly adjusted mirrors and an over the shoulder glance that there is still a blind spot that only this new mirror can prevent. That is totally, blatantly false.

no, what I am saying - among other things - is that you can work all day long and watch mr. zen's video and try and polish that turd, or you can accept it is a flawed piece of equipment that is holding on to 50 years of poor design and jump on board with what a truly useful side view mirror should be.

no, what I am saying - among other things - is that you can work all day long and watch mr. zen's video and try and polish that turd, or you can accept it is a flawed piece of equipment that is holding on to 50 years of poor design and jump on board with what a truly useful side view mirror should be.

I spent less than 60 seconds adjusting my mirrors ONE TIME. Tonight I watched a car come up behind me in the left lane. It went from my rear view to my side view mirror and when it disappeared from my side view mirror the front of the vehicle was even with my rear door and I could see it without even turning my head more than a couple of inches. If you don't believe that then I don't really care. Stop trying to rationalize everything.

I spent less than 60 seconds adjusting my mirrors ONE TIME. Tonight I watched a car come up behind me in the left lane. It went from my rear view to my side view mirror and when it disappeared from my side view mirror the front of the vehicle was even with my rear door and I could see it without even turning my head more than a couple of inches. If you don't believe that then I don't really care. Stop trying to rationalize everything.

I've been tought a little different method.

Keep your eyes moving

Look at the windshield mounted mirror, yep there's somebody behind me

Look forward

Look in the door mounted mirror, yep there's somebody back there

Look forward

Look at the windshield mounted mirror, nobody there

Look forward

Look in the door mounted mirror, yep there's somebody back there in the passing lane

Look forward

Look in the door mounted mirror, nobody there

Look forward

Turn on left sig

Start moving to left lane, LOUD HOONKING Lean forward look in door mounted mirror, yep there's somebody back there

Swerve back into lane

This isn't a very good description but you get the point.

You really need to be looking forward most of the time, don't look from one mirror to the other, PLEASE.... My wife might be making a emergency stop in front of you

ab

Look in the door mounted mirror, nobody there

Look forward

Turn on left sig

Start moving to left lane, LOUD HOONKING Lean forward look in door mounted mirror, yep there's somebody back there

Swerve back into lane

This isn't a very good description but you get the point.

You really need to be looking forward most of the time, don't look from one mirror to the other, PLEASE.... My wife might be making a emergency stop in front of you

ab

That is VERY acurate & where I have had many close calls. About a month ago, I changed lanes into the center lane & I heard brakes lock up. It was a Supercrew that was trying to get into the right lane to exit. I'm getting too old for these kind of surprises.

This is the first vehicle I have driven where the mirrors are not convex enough!

Every vehicle from my Porsche, Land Rover, Volvo, Astro Van, etc had a more convex mirror where you could see the white lines when backing up better. Same goes with the adjustments/vision when driving. I have been a Defensive Driving Instructor as well as spent time being trained to drive on the race track (not oval, road courses), and the Edge mirrors are the worst I have seen.

Mine came in today (dealer) and friend will pick them up for me.

I just called the dealer in my area and he didn't know what I was talking about with the mirrors. What are you suppose to ask for to get these ordered. Did you pay $80 for one or for both. I too have those little stick on mirrors but would really like the safety of the new mirrors. Can you tell me anything that might make it easier to get from the dealer. Thanks

Best 80 bucks I've spent in a long time! :D

This should be a TSB if not a recall. BUT NOT just the Edge/MKX most of the 4 door cars I've owned for the past decade at least have a big blind spot.

I have to lean forward and look around the post.

These 4 pictures are from a 6 picture burst on my XSi...Very revealing.

ab

Just installed the passenger side mirror this evening. Heading out for a 5 hr trip tomorrow so I will have enough time to evaluate the new mirrors during this time period.

So far the wife likes the Drivers side mirror I installed last Thurs. She said the blind spot associated with the B Pillar is no longer an issue

Gary F

Hello Cindy

The new mirrors in question are standard equipment on the 2009 Edge. Only thing you would need to specify is whether or not you have heated mirrors which would also have the security puddle lamps. Hope this helps

Ps. they also have a picture of these mirrors in the 2009 Ford Edge Brochure in the showrooms. (toward the back of the book)

Cost is about 75.00 each from dealer. I was lucky enough to get both for an even 100.00 (including a mirror motor) but I knew someone

Edited by tpm419419

I just called the dealer in my area and he didn't know what I was talking about with the mirrors. What are you suppose to ask for to get these ordered. Did you pay $80 for one or for both. I too have those little stick on mirrors but would really like the safety of the new mirrors. Can you tell me anything that might make it easier to get from the dealer. Thanks

if you read back through the thread, long but worth it, all the information you seek & need is already covered. you will see exact part numbers, prices, even alternate websites you can order from if you wish to bypass the dealer.

Installed the mirrors last night in about 10 minutes. The steps I used are as follows:

1. move the mirror body so that the mirror faces 90 degrees outwards from the vehicle.

2. Tilt the mirror so it faces downwards and towards the vehicle.

3. Use a standard width flat head screwdriver with a long shaft & a small flashlight. Look for a shallow slot on the outboard side where the mirror meets the motor that has two tabs, one on either side of the "slot". Place the screwdriver in this "slot" and twist it as if you are opening a "paint can". Wiggle it as you twist and you will notice the two halfs start to separate. Move the mirror slightly till you see the inboard slot. Repeat the same proceedure. Make sure you have a towel handy as the mirror will start to fall down.

4. The mirror should slide out with ease. Disconnect the two heated mirror leads from the mirror. This may be a bit tough as they are a tight fit.

5. Take the new mirror and connect the two heated mirror leads and connect it to the mirror leads. You may have to push it in a bit ... but not too hard. It will slide up the connector completely.

6. With a towel placed over the mirror, add a bit of force to get the mirror to seat in the motor housing. Use a rotating action (as listed earlier in this thread!) to seat the mirror. Make sure it is in. You may want to spend a bit of time doing this

7. With your hand & towel near the mirror give the mirror body a smack to ensure the mirror is set in place. First time mine was not properly seated and it popped out. The heated mirror power leads stopped if from falling to the floor.

8. Repeat on the other side.

I then adjusted the mirrors to the optimum position and reset the "seating" position.

The mirrors do take a little getting used to ... but the drive in to the office this morning on a very busy 12 lane highway was a little less stressfull as the vision to the sides is better. Too many lane changers trying to get a car length ahead.

This is a good investment. My cost was $185 Canadian through my friends garage ... one could of gotten it cheaper on-line ... but the cost would of been more due to duty etc. Plus if there was an issue ... it could be returned with no issues.

Hope this helps!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Installed the mirrors last night in about 10 minutes. The steps I used are as follows:

1. move the mirror body so that the mirror faces 90 degrees outwards from the vehicle.

2. Tilt the mirror so it faces downwards and towards the vehicle.

3. Use a standard width flat head screwdriver with a long shaft & a small flashlight. Look for a shallow slot on the outboard side where the mirror meets the motor that has two tabs, one on either side of the "slot". Place the screwdriver in this "slot" and twist it as if you are opening a "paint can". Wiggle it as you twist and you will notice the two halfs start to separate. Move the mirror slightly till you see the inboard slot. Repeat the same proceedure. Make sure you have a towel handy as the mirror will start to fall down.

4. The mirror should slide out with ease. Disconnect the two heated mirror leads from the mirror. This may be a bit tough as they are a tight fit.

5. Take the new mirror and connect the two heated mirror leads and connect it to the mirror leads. You may have to push it in a bit ... but not too hard. It will slide up the connector completely.

6. With a towel placed over the mirror, add a bit of force to get the mirror to seat in the motor housing. Use a rotating action (as listed earlier in this thread!) to seat the mirror. Make sure it is in. You may want to spend a bit of time doing this

7. With your hand & towel near the mirror give the mirror body a smack to ensure the mirror is set in place. First time mine was not properly seated and it popped out. The heated mirror power leads stopped if from falling to the floor.

8. Repeat on the other side.

I then adjusted the mirrors to the optimum position and reset the "seating" position.

The mirrors do take a little getting used to ... but the drive in to the office this morning on a very busy 12 lane highway was a little less stressfull as the vision to the sides is better. Too many lane changers trying to get a car length ahead.

This is a good investment. My cost was $185 Canadian through my friends garage ... one could of gotten it cheaper on-line ... but the cost would of been more due to duty etc. Plus if there was an issue ... it could be returned with no issues.

Hope this helps!!!

Is there any version not heated, as my SEL has no heated mirrors, IMO to pay for something that will not be used is a waste. BTW do you have the part numbers for those at least???