Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors

If it's like my F250 2 screwdrivers 1 on top the other on the bottom (or either side) and just pry it off.

I'll let you experiment with prying it apart & postin up the results :) Limited mirror bodies are painted, so not to excited by that prospect

But the instructions should come with the new mirror.

not sure how many parts you have bought from a parts department at a dealer, but in my experience, I wouldn't expect any directions. I would expect a box and a mirror. you might get directions if you buy an 'accessory', and they will suck if you do, but not really for "parts" as they are assuming the dealer is installing and don't often have directions for sold parts. case in point, I just installed a new sliding glass window motor in a Ford Mustang for a buddy to help him save money, not a single instruction included with that 'part'.

I'll let you experiment with prying it apart & postin up the results :) Limited mirror bodies are painted, so not to excited by that prospect

not sure how many parts you have bought from a parts department at a dealer, but in my experience, I wouldn't expect any directions. I would expect a box and a mirror. you might get directions if you buy an 'accessory', and they will suck if you do, but not really for "parts" as they are assuming the dealer is installing and don't often have directions for sold parts. case in point, I just installed a new sliding glass window motor in a Ford Mustang for a buddy to help him save money, not a single instruction included with that 'part'.

Lex you are right. There will be no instructions included. I believe on those you grab the mirror and pull. But without looking it up i can't be 100% sure of that.

If it's like my F250 2 screwdrivers 1 on top the other on the bottom (or either side) and just pry it off.

But the instructions should come with the new mirror.

ab

Not to sure about the Edge/MKX, looks like we'll have to wait a few more weeks.

But sometime a picture is worth a thousand words.

ab

post-3705-1226037621_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1226037642_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1226037664_thumb.jpg

post-3705-1226037689_thumb.jpg

I am a bit surprised that those F series mirrors came with instructions.. but sure enough, looks like you got some. I have bought many parts for many of my cars over the years from dealers - if I could not get them from the web :) - and cannot ever recall getting instructions with a single part. We will see what will happen I suppose...

"looks like we'll have to wait a few more weeks" why, are you ordering some for the Edge then? if so, post up part numbers (drivers & passengers) for just the mirrors

BTW.. I was actually thinking today, on a hunch, that of you tilted them to the uppermost (or lowest) position they can be in, there might be some kind of release behind them to pop out the glass. these directions hint that I was kind of on track with how to access a release method as when I changed out my custom puddle LED lamps, I notice if I really allowed the adjustable mirror to tilt all the way up (or down) I could kind of get finger access behind the glass

Edited by Lex Talionis

I am a bit surprised that those F series mirrors came with instructions.. but sure enough, looks like you got some. I have bought many parts for many of my cars over the years from dealers - if I could not get them from the web :) - and cannot ever recall getting instructions with a single part. We will see what will happen I suppose...

"looks like we'll have to wait a few more weeks" why, are you ordering some for the Edge then? if so, post up part numbers (drivers & passengers) for just the mirrors

BTW.. I was actually thinking today, on a hunch, that of you tilted them to the uppermost (or lowest) position they can be in, there might be some kind of release behind them to pop out the glass. these directions hint that I was kind of on track with how to access a release method as when I changed out my custom puddle LED lamps, I notice if I really allowed the adjustable mirror to tilt all the way up (or down) I could kind of get finger access behind the glass

If the budget allows I'll be ordering the drivers side from Lincoln.

The F250 mirror cost $90.00 so I figure you can add a 1 in front of the 9 for the MKX.

I was working with a Ford dealer till someone mention that the MKX mirror is "Driver's Side Electrochromic (Auto Dimming)".

Which brings up the passenger mirror.

Why would they put a concave (wide angle) mirror on a mirror that already has a wide angle view :wacko: ? If they do I won't be replacing ours.

The instructions for the F250 are very detailed (5 pages), maybe the Edge/MKX will be the same.

A word to the wise:

If Ford or GM file bankruptcy and you car is in their service dept. you WILL get you car back SOMEDAY.

ab

If the budget allows I'll be ordering the drivers side from Lincoln.

The F250 mirror cost $90.00 so I figure you can add a 1 in front of the 9 for the MKX.

I was working with a Ford dealer till someone mention that the MKX mirror is "Driver's Side Electrochromic (Auto Dimming)".

Which brings up the passenger mirror.

Why would they put a concave (wide angle) mirror on a mirror that already has a wide angle view :wacko: ? If they do I won't be replacing ours.

The instructions for the F250 are very detailed (5 pages), maybe the Edge/MKX will be the same.

A word to the wise:

If Ford or GM file bankruptcy and you car is in their service dept. you WILL get you car back SOMEDAY.

ab

You were very lucky to get instructions. I would say about 90% or more of fords parts do not come with instrctions.

I guess I got lucky. My 08 Edge doesn't have any blind spots. Neither does my 06 Fusion. Amazing what properly adjusted mirrors and a quick over the shoulder glance can accomplish......

My wife is 5’4” and doesn’t have a problem looking over her shoulder.

I’m 6’ and when I look over my shoulder I can see a little out of the rear passenger window but SMALL cars and motorcycles hiding behind the post are a problem.

ab

I’m 6’ and when I look over my shoulder I can see a little out of the rear passenger window but SMALL cars and motorcycles hiding behind the post are a problem.

ab

How do you have the side mirrors adjusted? Can you see the side of the car? If so you need to push them out. That should eliminate that blind spot.

ab

I'm almost 6' 2' & when I turn my head, I can only see the window on the back door. I cannot see outside the car. I have my mirror adjusted quite a way out.

I guess I got lucky. My 08 Edge doesn't have any blind spots. Neither does my 06 Fusion. Amazing what properly adjusted mirrors and a quick over the shoulder glance can accomplish......

you already made this joke on the first page.. we get it, your not into them and see no reason for them... fair enough... but some of us have interest in them and want to investigate the possibility of swapping them.. cool?

you already made this joke on the first page.. we get it, your not into them and see no reason for them... fair enough... but some of us have interest in them and want to investigate the possibility of swapping them.. cool?

I was merely pointing out that one does not NEED a blind spot mirror. If you want one then it certainly won't hurt anything.

Come on Lex lets be a little more subtle. I want someone to take the bait and ask "how do you properly adjust a mirror."

I'm not having any luck at my Lincoln dealer, he says they have had a couple of 09's and they don't have the upgraded mirror.

Research continues.

ab

I want someone to take the bait and ask "how do you properly adjust a mirror."

I'll take that bait.

http://www.carspace.com/guides/The-Zen-of-...ur-Side-Mirrors

To paraphrase CarSpace member Lateralg, your car’s rear quarter panels aren’t a threat. Why should you be looking at them in your side view mirrors then? If you are like most drivers, you are still aligning your side mirrors the “old” way.

A better way to adjust your side mirrors is to move the glass outwards so your field of view is of other cars and blind spots are eliminated.

To adjust your side mirrors the Zen way, first put your head against the driver’s side window. Adjust the mirror so the rear quarter panel just barely disappears from your field of view. Then move your head towards the center of the car – your console or gear selector is a good reference point to hover over if you have one.

Repeat the adjustment for the right side mirror so that your right rear quarter panel just disappears from your field of view.

This new arrangement will take a short while to get used to. If it absolutely drives you crazy, then move the mirrors in just a touch so that you can just barely see your rear quarter panels when you look at your mirrors.

But a true Zen mirror master will no longer have any blind spots, will have more awareness of cars on either side of the vehicle and will thus see deeply . And maybe that’ll help keep others from dinging your rear quarter panels (not that you’ll ever look at them again anyway).

I'll take that bait.

okay.. okay.. I call hog wash on this whole thing. you want to talk about "the “old” way"? "the old way" is using a piece of technology whose core design has not changed from it's inception. yeah, we have powered the mirrors, added puddle lamps, made them fold close, defrost, put turn signals on them and even made them auto dim... but none of that has ever really improved the core function of the side view mirrors: to show you what is to the side and behind you & in your blind spots (yes, they really exist). after all this improvement, we still have... drum roll please... a flat piece of mirror. one of the most antiquated pieces on the modern auto.

But yeah, we did not need the cruise control, your foot worked fine - keyless entry, the key worked fine - power mirrors/windows/locks/seats, manual adjustment worked fine - HID/LED lights, incandescent worked fine - the Navi system, a Thomas Brothers worked fine - heated seats, a jacket worked fine - leather seats, fabric worked fine - auto open doors/trunk, an arm worked fine - fuel injection, the carb worked fine... and even integrated blind spot mirrors, yes your head can swivel fine.

But what kind of logic is this? these mirrors are a better mouse trap. period. a natural improvement on one of the most dated pieces of the most modern cars you see today (and future cars yet to come undoubtedly).

These mirrors represent (1) an long overdue natural obvious next step of the side view mirror and (2) an undeniable simple piece of added safety and I would think you, the guy that defends the safety logic of Ford not allowing us to change our Navi settings wheel driving, would buy into 100% and not just dismiss it by saying our heads can swivel.. all while you sit in the luxury of your leather, electric, heated (maybe even cooled), power, 10-way adjustable seat.

Ok

The simple question remains... Does the 2009 mirror fit the 2007-8 Edge? I took a peek at an '09 and do like the new mirror. I am willing to pay almost 200.00 for the pair but need to know it is going to fit first. Due to a neck injury my head doesn't swivel so easily and a built in convex mirror would be a tremendous help. I do have stick on convex mirrors on my 2007 Edge but it is not as good as an integrated one.

Thanks

Are they safer? Of course - especially for drivers who don't aim their mirrors properly and don't glance over their shoulder when changing lanes. Am I glad they're being offered? Yes. Would I want them on my next vehicle? Sure.

I just wouldn't go to all that trouble to add them to my Edge now. Then again I don't have a problem operating the Vista Roof controls at night, either.

Ok

The simple question remains... Does the 2009 mirror fit the 2007-8 Edge? I took a peek at an '09 and do like the new mirror. I am willing to pay almost 200.00 for the pair but need to know it is going to fit first. Due to a neck injury my head doesn't swivel so easily and a built in convex mirror would be a tremendous help. I do have stick on convex mirrors on my 2007 Edge but it is not as good as an integrated one.

Thanks

Don't quote me on this , but yes they will fit.

I spent some time at a Ford parts dept today and I got some part #'s, see attached.

BUT

The parts guy said to do this.

Go find an 09 with your trim level (Limited, SEL etc) and get the VIN # off of that Edge then go inside and order a mirror for that Edge.

I searched on Amazon and found these

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-9T4Z-17K707-C-G...19&sr=1-237

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-9T4Z-17K707-D-G...03&sr=1-252

and a few more.

Looks like each mirror will be about $75.00 at Ford. And should just snap off then on.

Note to MKX owners: He said if I bring him a 09 MKX VIN he can order a mirror for me.

ab

post-3705-1226451438_thumb.gif