Not another MPG thread!

CopperEdge

Ok, so I bought an 07 SEL FWD 18" in April 08. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. The car had 50 freakin miles on it when I got it. It must have been fully updated with all the TSBs, and fixes or what ever because it is so far perfect in every way possible. Not one of the issues discussed here on this forum or anywhere else. Performace is great, no bad smells, chipping paint, wierd noises or leaks.

Now... having said that, after one month, I only have 390 miles on it, I have just started my 3rd tank of gas (c'mon! I only drive 13 miles/day) and reset the MPG setting each time, but the MOST I have ever gotten has been 11.9MPG. That just seems a little too low. All my driving has been city streets. So far no freeway at all.

Does that mileage seem right? I've read here on this board that it will get better, but no-one seems to have this low number.

Cheers

CPPREDG

Ok, so I bought an 07 SEL FWD 18" in April 08. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. The car had 50 freakin miles on it when I got it. It must have been fully updated with all the TSBs, and fixes or what ever because it is so far perfect in every way possible. Not one of the issues discussed here on this forum or anywhere else. Performace is great, no bad smells, chipping paint, wierd noises or leaks.

Now... having said that, after one month, I only have 390 miles on it, I have just started my 3rd tank of gas (c'mon! I only drive 13 miles/day) and reset the MPG setting each time, but the MOST I have ever gotten has been 11.9MPG. That just seems a little too low. All my driving has been city streets. So far no freeway at all.

Does that mileage seem right? I've read here on this board that it will get better, but no-one seems to have this low number.

Cheers

CPPREDG

It will get better after 5K miles or so, but this depends mostly on how you drive. Try this: when you reset your mpg also reset your avg mph, then check it when you check your fuel economy. My daily commute is on side streets, mostly 45-50 mph with stop signs and traffic lights. I only average 25 mph. With your driving you may only see 15 avg mph and that will give you crappy fuel mileage.

What was your mileage on your previous vehicle on the same route?

It will get better after 5K miles or so, but this depends mostly on how you drive. Try this: when you reset your mpg also reset your avg mph, then check it when you check your fuel economy. My daily commute is on side streets, mostly 45-50 mph with stop signs and traffic lights. I only average 25 mph. With your driving you may only see 15 avg mph and that will give you crappy fuel mileage.

Well... unfortunately I do not have a comparo... new job new car. Only drove this route in old car for about two weeks before trading it in on the Edge.

Still... it is only 1 tank of gas every two weeks... so I am happy with that, but that little green number on the dash just bugs me so much.

:yup:

Try keeping the MPG readout ON while you drive. While this will drive most people nuts, it will show how

your driving affects MPG. Then after a tank or two you can turn the darn thing off. The computer really

only likes driving steady at relatively low speeds. If the price of gas keeps going up most of us will be

WALKING by xmas!!

Yep

Our previous ride had a MPG gauge. I really enjoyed buying gas, resetting before driving off and watching that gauge.

3, 7, 9, 12, 18 then I hit that FIRST RED LIGHT (as far as I can remember I've NEVER MADE that light :censored: ) 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, etc. Take off from that light and 10, 12, 15 and here we go again 2nd red light (I’ve made it a few times :censored: ) 14, 13, 12, etc.

NOTE: The DFW area made the national news a couple of weeks ago.

We lead the nation in coordinating our lights.

AND NOW for the rest of the story.

When none of your lights are coordinated you only have to coordinate 1 to statistically make the National news :censored: .

ab

Cheers

CPPREDG

CopperEdge huh? Me too 2007 18" FWD SEL+!

I think it's what shoe size you drive with. My feet need size 14 shoes, but I drive with size 7's.

:hysterical:

I'm 60% Hwy/40% City. I have been showing 20MPG +/- for most of the time I've had the car (4K miles). The number I get when taking miles/gallons at fillups is a bit lower, so I wonder about the computer in the car a bit...18 to 20by my calc's. It may be that I am not getting consistant amounts with these flaky pumps nowadays.

I drive it gently, very gently, from 0-20mph. I try to keep it under 2200 rpm. HWY speeds on I95/75/595/Sawgrass XWay run 65-80mph (travelling with traffic).

Average on the computer is 39mph all together. A/C on with these numbers. Without the AC it's a bit better.

I did put the sole to it after a fillup and reset, and sure enough the mpg avg was 12mpg - had to try it bit to see what she'd do.

Oh, and I'm in So Fla and there aren't many hills to affect things, and I do very little "stop and go" because my schedule allows me to miss peak traffic.

I reset the MPG at each fillup, and man, sometimes I'm rolling and can momentarily show 50-80mpg - then it collapses so fast it's scary!

CopperEdge huh? Me too 2007 18" FWD SEL+!

I think it's what shoe size you drive with. My feet need size 14 shoes, but I drive with size 7's.

:hysterical:

I'm 60% Hwy/40% City. I have been showing 20MPG +/- for most of the time I've had the car (4K miles). The number I get when taking miles/gallons at fillups is a bit lower, so I wonder about the computer in the car a bit...18 to 20by my calc's. It may be that I am not getting consistant amounts with these flaky pumps nowadays.

I drive it gently, very gently, from 0-20mph. I try to keep it under 2200 rpm. HWY speeds on I95/75/595/Sawgrass XWay run 65-80mph (travelling with traffic).

Average on the computer is 39mph all together. A/C on with these numbers. Without the AC it's a bit better.

I did put the sole to it after a fillup and reset, and sure enough the mpg avg was 12mpg - had to try it bit to see what she'd do.

Oh, and I'm in So Fla and there aren't many hills to affect things, and I do very little "stop and go" because my schedule allows me to miss peak traffic.

I reset the MPG at each fillup, and man, sometimes I'm rolling and can momentarily show 50-80mpg - then it collapses so fast it's scary!

Wow thanks for all the input folks, gotta love this forum.

While just switching the Info Center to something else does work ;-) I am just too curious to know what my MPG actually is to just put blinders on. I am going on a trip to Palm Springs in about a month, so I'll finally get some good freeway miles on it, to see if it evens out a bit.

Thx again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I did not notice a jump in mileage until about 11K. In town driving went from 21mpg to about 22mpg (very little stop and go - drops to 19mpg just running around the neighborhood doing weekend chores). With the price of gas through the roof I have gone from gentle to real gentle and can hit 24mpg on average for a tank. In town. Provided I avoid side trips that make me stop.

Shell gas seems to do better for me than Vaquaro - same gas from the same pipeline so I'm assuming it's the additives.

We're going on a major road trip in the fall so I'm keen on seeing what she'll do then. Last trip up to Flagstaff and to Prescott 21mpg was the best I could average out - big hills suck fuel like you would not believe!

For some reason I did not notice a jump in mileage until about 11K. In town driving went from 21mpg to about 22mpg (very little stop and go - drops to 19mpg just running around the neighborhood doing weekend chores). With the price of gas through the roof I have gone from gentle to real gentle and can hit 24mpg on average for a tank. In town. Provided I avoid side trips that make me stop.

Shell gas seems to do better for me than Vaquaro - same gas from the same pipeline so I'm assuming it's the additives.

We're going on a major road trip in the fall so I'm keen on seeing what she'll do then. Last trip up to Flagstaff and to Prescott 21mpg was the best I could average out - big hills suck fuel like you would not believe!

That jump at 11k could coincide with a seasonal change in gas blends.

That jump at 11k could coincide with a seasonal change in gas blends.

Excellent point, had not thought of that. Timing may be right too as it was in April. A/C use tends to affect mileage too so I'll have to pay attention to mileage once we reach cooler weather.

we just made a 1400 mile roundtrip trip to San Antonio from Oklahoma, on the way down i mostly used fuel from a fiesta mart and averaged around 20mpg driving 80 ish. on the way home used mostly Shell and averaged around 22mpg driving 80-85ish. on the Shell gas we had more traffic (stuck in slooooooow traffic in austin for over an hour) and still had much better mpg.

I am new to the forum...and thinking of trading in a 03 Z71 Tahoe. for an edge. I get about 17 mpg HIGHWAY with the TAHOE.....and with gas prices...well you know the deal.

Reading all the posts regarding gas mileage......I wish people would (some do) point out the options on the car and whether is AWD or FWD, as this makes a HUGE difference in what you will get in terms of mileage.

I know that two major causes of poor fuel economy is WEIGHT and FRICTION. So if you have an AWD model with the ROOF option, your car is the HEAVIEST..EDGE made, and therefore will fall into the LOWEST category for fuel mileage.

So, if you wouldnt mind, :rockon: when responding to the GAS mileage posts...please include the following: :stats:

1) AWD or FWD

2) Roof or no roof

3) RIM/Tire size

4) City or Hwy or Combo

5) Use the AC or windows

6) Hot climate or cold climate

7) Hills or flat.

This will help out greatly when comparing mileage.

thanks

SS

I am new to the forum...and thinking of trading in a 03 Z71 Tahoe. for an edge. I get about 17 mpg HIGHWAY with the TAHOE.....and with gas prices...well you know the deal.

Reading all the posts regarding gas mileage......I wish people would (some do) point out the options on the car and whether is AWD or FWD, as this makes a HUGE difference in what you will get in terms of mileage.

I know that two major causes of poor fuel economy is WEIGHT and FRICTION. So if you have an AWD model with the ROOF option, your car is the HEAVIEST..EDGE made, and therefore will fall into the LOWEST category for fuel mileage.

So, if you wouldnt mind, :rockon: when responding to the GAS mileage posts...please include the following: :stats:

1) AWD or FWD

2) Roof or no roof

3) RIM/Tire size

4) City or Hwy or Combo

5) Use the AC or windows

7) Hills or flat.

thanks

SS

I've posted in another forum on this topic but here goes....

07 Edge SEL

FWD

No roof

18" wheels

60% hwy/ 40% city

AC

Hot (sunny SC)

hills

With 1000 miles on the clock I'm getting 20.5 MPG. I expect with some additional break-in and my newly adjusted gas-saving driving habits that number will go up. I'll post after my next 500 miles. So far I'm relatively happy with the results.

so we got 550km or about 343mi on the first tank, my wife filled and didn`t keep the receipt so i dunno how much went in tank, but it says its a 72litre tank, so *calculating* um 18.1 MPG *IMPERIAL* (calculated at full 72l which it probly didn`t take) so we might be 19 or 20 on first tank cause there was probly some gas left, we`ll see though after a few tanks, which might take a month, doesn`t get alot of driving(:

2008 Ltd - FWD with sunroof. Been doing a lot of trips between Northern NJ and Charlotte NC......mostly highway miles with speeds 65-80 mph. Last trip calculated MPG was 23.8 over 1325 miles (computer showed higher...actually 26.0 on the way home). Better than our previous BMW X3 and that car required premium.

Overall I'm happy with the vehicle....wife's major complaint is visibibity (blind spots) due to the large front pillars. SD

Edited by ultgar

QUOTE (sidewaysammy @ Jun 19 2008, 10:39 AM)

So, if you wouldnt mind, when responding to the GAS mileage posts...please include the following:

1) AWD or FWD

2) Roof or no roof

3) RIM/Tire size

4) City or Hwy or Combo

5) Use the AC or windows

7) Hills or flat.

thanks

SS

________________________________________________________________________________

________

2008 Ford Edge Limited

1. AWD

2. yes- vista roof

3. 20"

4. 15/25 city/highway (I avg 80mpg on the highway)

5.A/C

6. I live in NY so hot in summer cold in winter

7. 50/50 hills/flat

• 4 weeks later...
Well, now I'm @ 1500 miles and still only 13.8mpg on the Edge. I pretty much drive 95% city, almost never need to get on freeway. Where's the 18mpg? I'm even trying those "hypermilage" tricks but it still sucks gas.

Should have the dealer check?

You won't see maximum mileage until 5k or so. That said, you'll only get 18 if you drive the EPA cycle using their gas under their conditions. In other words there are far too many variables to accurately predict a specific person's fuel economy. If you do a lot of short trips, stop-n-go driving and/or hard acceleration then you'll get way less than 18. Your fuel blend also plays a part - 10% ethanol will drop around 2 mpg by itself.

Yup Mine sucks, My advice sell IT!!! I bought mine in Feb 08, Sold in July 08. They all say it needs to break in! Yeah right.. Its just the stadard line to get you to delay you from doing anything. It sucks plain and simple.. Get a fusion ditch the edge. Or just get something else. You'll take a $10,000 hit. Complain to dealer and customer support does very little. Mine got 20 miles per gallon at the very best. I think I did get 30 miles / gallon once, just like the sticker said, but that was goin down a very steep hill. I'm so pissed off with FORD right now.

keep in mind fuel for me is about $1.35 / litre. what is goin to happen to that price in 3 years? and still paying for this gas goblin? So I got rid of mine. The vehicle will turn people off FORD. Ford does not get it, I'm happy they lost 6.7 billion this quater. Mileage is top now days not horse power.

The edge was nice, but milieage will kill this vehicle, keep in mind most people that say its good, don't check or what are they comparing it too? My 3/4 ton ford diesel is better on fuel than any ford edge, and at double the size, thats sad.

Stay close to the GAS STATION WITH THIS CAR!!! Mine had 20,000kms on it, break in is a load of crap. Just a way to delay your anger!

I have 10,000 Kms on the clock and I get great milage. My average is about 22 to around 26 MPG IMPERIAL driving during rush hours from Don Mills to Brampton on the 401 Highway!! When I went up north hauling a utility trailer with a 12' aluminum boat mounted upside down on it I got close to 28 MPG Imperial wich was not bad. Now I stick to non-Ethanol fuels ... usually from Petro Canada. BTW .. previous ride was a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE-7. My gas bills have dropped considerably since getting rid of the LR. Gas here is now $1.24 a litre ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my vacation from Vancouver BC to Southern California. I have a 2008 AWD 20" Edge. I ran with cruise control about 10% of the time. 95% was highway. Here are my mileage/km results.

Total Miles 3162.2

Total KM 5089.1

Total Cost $700.90

Total US Gallons 167.37

Total Litres 634

MPG 18.9

L/100 KM 12.46

Claimed by Ford

City: 13.6 L/100 km

Hwy: 9.2 L/100 km

EPA est. mpg: 15 city/22 highway

Edited by rlassiter

Just adding my 2 cents worth on mileage.

Drove my wife's 2008 fwd SEL from the San Francisco bay area to Los Angeles last week. She has the Tricoat White with 17" wheels. We had about 4100 miles on it before starting. Driving down on highway 101 which is mostly flat, doing 65MPH with 4 of us and luggage and A/C half the time, we averaged 25.8 MPG. We actually got 28.5 MPG on one stretch but then we hit LA traffic. Driving around LA with A/C, we averaged around 20 MPG with an average speed of 26MPH (that stop and go driving). Coming back through Interstate 5 doing 75 MPH and A/C all the way and about 15% city driving, we only averaged about 22 MPG. We had head and cross winds all the way back and had to get over the Grapevine (mountains). Tires are inflated to 38 PSI.

So far, driving the Edge, she has averaged about 18.5 MPG on her daily route. Her 2002 V6 Camry usually averaged 21 MPG. She loves the Edge.

1) FWD

2) no roof

3) Stock 17" rims (for now)

4) Combo

5) A/C

6) Hot as hell AZ

7) Mostly flat

I may not have numbers since my Edge does not have a computer. But I can say the following:

a) My average fill up is $50 - $65 if I do it under 1/2 tank. $30-$40 at 1/2 tank

B) I just filled it up last night and drove to Coolidge, AZ. Thus far, the hand has not left F which is a VERY good thing. However, the norm is that she'll be 1/2 full by Tuesday or Wednesday if filled up on Sat.

c) Weekly, I have spent anywhere from $150 - $200 on gas