Edge trailer hitches (with pictures)

Can you guys post pictures of your trailer hitches and say what trailer hitch brand, part number, and vehicle year so we all know what they look like? There are so many topics talking about the Curt hitch or others that don't have pictures of them installed. I think this would be useful for anyone who is shopping for a hitch.

Here is the etrailer site that has the different brands (without pictures of it installed)

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Ford_Edge.htm

Thanks!

Edited by Gator

DrawTite; 2007 SEL+; I have no idea what the part number is. I bought it from a local hitch dealer/installer. It was the first they had ever ordered for an Edge. Had it installed about 2 months after I bought my Edge in April. An aftermarket wiring harness wasn't even available yet.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/452-somethings-missingjpg/

Can you guys post pictures of your trailer hitches and say what trailer hitch brand, part number, and vehicle year so we all know what they look like? There are so many topics talking about the Curt hitch or others that don't have pictures of them installed. I think this would be useful for anyone who is shopping for a hitch.

Here is the etrailer site that has the different brands (without pictures of it installed)

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Ford_Edge.htm

Thanks!

I guess I am confused. CURT makes about the only QUALITY hitch. You get an easy-to-install hitch for about $138 DELIVERED from various ellers on Ebay. The hitch functions totally properly. Sellers also offer the quality CURT wiring harness you might need if you're gonna tow a trailer. The hitch is A) Easy to install (45-60 mins); B) is CLASS THREE for excellent towing ability; C) "Looks" good looking at it from the rear; D) is a Quality product from an American company. Not a lot else to know.

Good Luck. Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - If a decrepit 67 year old man can take time out from Bass fishing to do this install, ya GOTTA know it ain't too difficult.

Edited by mikey100
  • Like 1

I don't know if the Curt is designed for this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks,Hitch-Accessories/Draw-Tite/63201.html

but I use this as my receiver lock on my DrawTite and there is absolutely no play in the receiver, or the cargo carrier when I set up to fill gas cans and/or propane tanks. Makes for a much quieter ride; the only rattle is the little bit of play in the tongue on the ball (which just sounds wrong on so many levels...)

Edited by carbonedge+

Just had this Curt installed a few months ago at a local truck accessory shop here in Austin. I tow a bass boat once in a while but mostly use it for my bike rack. I've owned others in the past on every single vehicle I've owned but this one seems a bit on the big side, as my bike rack seems to float inside it. Therefore, I usually use wooden shims to absorb most of the space on the right and left when using my bike rack. Kind of a pain but works well.

post-22179-0-66392600-1334156055_thumb.jpg

post-22179-0-20733400-1334156154_thumb.jpg

post-22179-0-71242200-1334156176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would also like to see a few hitches on the 2011+ Edges. Whatever brand I install, I want to make sure ya can't see any of the hitch's cross-member. Are most of you cutting a square out of the rear plastic on the 2011+ SEL's? I know that the Drawtite & Hidden looked really nice on the 2010 and below.

I would also like to see a few hitches on the 2011+ Edges. Whatever brand I install, I want to make sure ya can't see any of the hitch's cross-member. Are most of you cutting a square out of the rear plastic on the 2011+ SEL's? I know that the Drawtite & Hidden looked really nice on the 2010 and below.

Think you're asking for wayyyyyyyy too much from a standard hitch manufacturer. Your best approach if all of that is so important is to go with a custom-made hitch.

The manufacturers are also looking at a "low install time" as that appeals highly to many, many buyers. And most buyers of Class Three (aftermarket) hitches understand that the hitch is not going to appear to be "hidden" after installation.

Good Luck however.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - For the rest of you considering an AFTERMARKET hitch, the Curt A) Works well, B) Is VERY well made and C) Is EASY to install. Can ask for more for less than $ 140 delivered. And for those interested, (My disclaimer) I have on interest whatsoever in the Curt Manufacturing Company nor am I compensated in anyways for my comments.

Edited by mikey100

Sorry if the lighting is not so great.

I got the Draw Tite 75709 for my 2012 Limited from etrailer. You only see the receiver and the little plate where you can attach a wiring harness/box. There is no need to cut out the trim. The very middle gets pushed up maybe an inch and there is no way you would notice this unless you were looking for it AND were looking at it from ground level.

Installation was not anything technically difficult and it took less than an hour. The hardest parts were getting the rubber muffler hangers loose and fishing the wires through the bolt holes and that was only so because of the somewhat awkward position laying under the car on a creeper. I only got this to use a hitch mounted bike rack, so I did not get a wiring harness.

post-21529-0-33955200-1334238356_thumb.jpg

post-21529-0-79258600-1334238379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to RCHeel and rpeary for posting pics. There are so many posts talking about one hitch or another, but it is nice to be able to compare the looks of the different brands on one page. The DrawTite seems to be more low profile, but the Curt hitch looks nice also. Decisions, decisions...

I'm also concerned about putting a hitch on and it hitting the curb whenever I back into a parking spot. The Edge is still somewhat new for me, and the ground clearance is much lower than what I use to have. Thanks again.

Thanks to RCHeel and rpeary for posting pics. There are so many posts talking about one hitch or another, but it is nice to be able to compare the looks of the different brands on one page. The DrawTite seems to be more low profile, but the Curt hitch looks nice also. Decisions, decisions...

I'm also concerned about putting a hitch on and it hitting the curb whenever I back into a parking spot. The Edge is still somewhat new for me, and the ground clearance is much lower than what I use to have. Thanks again.

I have not had any issues backing into parking spaces with curbs or stops.

Heres a pic of our Hidden Hitch from Hitchmart.

Their part # 87433 they say 45: to install

I used a T-One Connector Assembly their part # 118430 for the wiring harness.

Not sure about the recommended install time.

Probably took a total of 2 hours.

Supper easy DIY.

I didnt run the wire to the battery for the T-One Connector.

Looked easy but…

I powered it off of the power for the tail gate.

Weve used it once.

675 empty miles, 500 lb. U-Haul motorcycles.

675 miles with a 600+ lb. motorcycle and lots of other stuff, total weight about 2K.

Zero problems even up Raton Pass in southern Colorado.

16 to 17 mpg @ 65 mph

ab

post-3705-0-16750300-1334356380_thumb.jpg

Edited by ablb
  • Like 2

Originally I purchased a Valley 82162 hitch because the plan was to follow another thread here and modify the reciever so that nothing was seen. The directions for the Valley hitch do say to drill but you don't have to...just follow the instructions from one of the other manufacturers and you are fine. The hitch was well made, clean welds good paint quality and fit to chassis was spot on. No need to cut the bumper and the only part you see is the actual reciever. It also stuck out less than the new one we have. The reason I have a new one is while this bolts up perfectly there is a slight interference with the newer exhaust set up on the Edge. Below are the pics.

post-15776-0-27265900-1334430856_thumb.jpg

post-15776-0-64265700-1334430886_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So after having the Valley installed for a few weeks we decided we couldn't live with the occasional clanking so we went out and bought a Curt 13067 since it was the only one at the time I could confirm with the manufacturer would fit. I would have rather gotten the Hidden or Draw Tite since the cross bar is behind the bumper but the manufacturers weren't aware of the exhaust change (at the time). So we ended up with the Curt. Initial impressions was not great. While it looked like it was packed well the flanges were bent a little and I had to man up and bend it back. Other than that the paint appears to be slightly better than the Valley but it could just be a glass vs flat issue. I don't care for the big bar being so visible but it works and is quiet so that is fine. It also sticks out a bit further than the Valley did. I find the reciever to be a little loose but I made my own anti-wiggle pins to take care of it. Hope the pics and info help some in their search.

post-15776-0-74289100-1334431591_thumb.jpg

post-15776-0-21999800-1334431653_thumb.jpg

So after having the Valley installed for a few weeks we decided we couldn't live with the occasional clanking so we went out and bought a Curt 13067 since it was the only one at the time I could confirm with the manufacturer would fit. I would have rather gotten the Hidden or Draw Tite since the cross bar is behind the bumper but the manufacturers weren't aware of the exhaust change (at the time). So we ended up with the Curt. Initial impressions was not great. While it looked like it was packed well the flanges were bent a little and I had to man up and bend it back. Other than that the paint appears to be slightly better than the Valley but it could just be a glass vs flat issue. I don't care for the big bar being so visible but it works and is quiet so that is fine. It also sticks out a bit further than the Valley did. I find the reciever to be a little loose but I made my own anti-wiggle pins to take care of it. Hope the pics and info help some in their search.

While I do like my DrawTite and the way the cross bar is hidden; I also like the look of this Curt as well; the way the cross bar is bent and transitions up behind the rear skirt looks nice and clean.

Has anyone noticed the hideous design they had to use on some of the Toyotas (Rav4 and Sequoia) where the exhaust 'interrupts' the cross bar with a steel plate? I know its limited to the way its chassis is designed, but still...

Thanks for the replies.

Draw-Tite doesn't show any of the cross bar. (Post #2 and #8)

Curt hitch looks nice with a rounded cross bar. (Post #5 and #14)

Valley may interfere with the exhaust and rattles. (Post #13)

Hidden Hitch doesn't show any of the cross bar. (Post #12)

I think this will help anyone else who is looking for a hitch.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Draw-Tite 75709 hitch and wiring harness this weekend. The hitch took about an hour, and the wiring harness took 2 or 3 hours. I had a hard time fishing the wire through the engine compartment, and I tried to run the wire like Ford would, hidden behind plastic and zip-tied to other wires. The hitch installation was very easy, but you might want a friend to help you hold it while you bolt it on.

Here are two pics that I submitted to the etrailer website.

drawtitehitch.jpg

ajvxc6.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have to say I like the look of the Draw Tite 75709 over the Curt, having, of course, just installed the Curt. Oh well. I am now ready to tackle the wiring on my 2012. I will not actually require a brake controller at any point - just pulling 16' Alumacraft w/50hp. Could I not just tie into the existing wiring harness connector that is located underneath along the rear bumper rather than at the tail lamps as I will not require the brake controller? Really wish Ford had provided the standard 4 pin connector on all models as they do on some other SUVs, primarily my '01 Expy.

• 1 year later...

Here’s a pic of our Hidden Hitch from Hitchmart.

Their part # 87433 they say 45: to install

I used a “T-One Connector Assembly” their part # 118430 for the wiring harness.

Not sure about the recommended install time.

Probably took a total of 2 hours.

Supper easy DIY.

I didn’t run the wire to the battery for the T-One Connector.

Looked easy but

I powered it off of the power for the tail gate.

We’ve used it once.

675 empty miles, 500 lb. U-Haul motorcycles.

675 miles with a 600+ lb. motorcycle and lots of other stuff, total weight about 2K.

Zero problems even up Raton Pass in southern Colorado.

16 to 17 mpg @ 65 mph

ab

Brilliant, I was hoping to find a solution to avoid running directly to the battery. Looks like your method has not given you any problems at all. I will copy you if you don't mind. Where is the easiest place to access the power lead to the rear lift gate?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a wiring harness for a 2011 Ford Edge SEL that DOESN'T have to be connected to the battery or rear hatch door? I know some connectors only connect to the taillights, then run a ground wire to the frame, but I can't find anything for the 2011 Edge.

Gator--what did you use to attach the wiring harness to the hitch? Doesn't look like you had to use the bracket that's optional.

• 2 years later...

I dunno, just whatever the local shop installed, I had probably to do some research before...

why hidden hitch would be better btw?

I really don't care about visible crossbar, for me it's even additional step for protecting the bumper+exhaust (if it's the only downturn of Curt) :)

Edited by t0lkman