Tinted front windows

About 2 weeks ago I had my front doors of my edge tinted. The guy that did them does an amazing job!! I then noticed that at certain angles and depending on the sunlight outside the window looks a bit hazy. They appear to be fully dry at this point. I was told when the windows were tinted that the front windows are laminated, which I did not know till they were tinted. Could this be the possible cause of when I look out the window it can sometimes be hazy? Its not always like this, some times its clear as day. It usually happens when the sun is on the side of the vehicle and angle of the sun. This was a different tint that he used on my other vehicle and it never did that on my other car and was wondering if it had anything to do with the laminated glass? Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ron

I just had mine done as wll and noticed the same thing. Only certain times it will seem to have a haze to it. It hasnt bothered me at all but it did seem odd the first time i noticed it. Its been about 8 days since i got them done and i havent noticed the hazy effect in the last few days.

BTW are you central CT area? Im actually just north of hatrford and got them done at Mr. Tints with just some cheapo Johnsons film. I had my last car done with it and was actually very happy with the results and it was a good price. 5 years sitting outside and minimal fade.

Edited by Fingernip

I just had mine done as wll and noticed the same thing. Only certain times it will seem to have a haze to it. It hasnt bothered me at all but it did seem odd the first time i noticed it. Its been about 8 days since i got them done and i havent noticed the hazy effect in the last few days.

BTW are you central CT area? Im actually just north of hatrford and got them done at Mr. Tints with just some cheapo Johnsons film. I had my last car done with it and was actually very happy with the results and it was a good price. 5 years sitting outside and minimal fade.

Ok well at least I am not the only person who seems to notice the haze. I know there is a dry time but mine are way past that and i still see the haze from time to time. I am east of hartford so not that far. How dark did you get?

I went with 35% .. my last car was 20% and driving at night was a bit impared at times. Also I dont need any more reason to get pulled over.

I hear that...I ended up going with 28%. I figured with the vista roof letting in so much light I was worried that 35 would seem too light, even having black leather inside.

• 2 weeks later...

I did 4% on the front, 18% from there back, 40% on the windshield, and 20% on the vista roof. I'm also photosensitive enough that I'm legally exempt from the GA tint laws.

I have that same issue. How did you get a legal exemption. In other words, how do I get one? I have very light colored blue eyes and I have to wear sunglasses on all but the darkest of days. I would like to get front done darker than the GA legal limit as well as the windshield and vista roof. I didn't even want the vista roof but it just happened to be on the AWD Edge Sport that had all the other options that I wanted. It is nice to have at night tho! Anyhow, how do I get exempted?

I have that same issue. How did you get a legal exemption. In other words, how do I get one? I have very light colored blue eyes and I have to wear sunglasses on all but the darkest of days. I would like to get front done darker than the GA legal limit as well as the windshield and vista roof. I didn't even want the vista roof but it just happened to be on the AWD Edge Sport that had all the other options that I wanted. It is nice to have at night tho! Anyhow, how do I get exempted?

Talk to your optometrist. They have to fill out a form.

A link to "All About Tint" here in Florida. They are great and may be able to answer your questions

http://www.aatint.com/index.html

Nice POST! Good to see a Floridian on this forum for a change, MMCCLURE! Funny, my Wife graduated from UNF in Jax.. I grew up in Orlando and met her there. We now reside in Orlando after she graduated, but we still dock our boat there. Used to be docked downtown at River City Brewing Co.. but we are now at Beach Marina, a bit closer to the beach. It's a big city, but maybe one day we'll grab a beer! stay safe!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to tint my two front windows to match the factory tint.......... What percent would be best for this? Do NOT want it to be any darker then factory. Perfect match or slightly lighter if anything.

Thanks

Installer should have a gauge that will tell him what the Factory is by placing it up to your windows.. I believe Factory is 35%.

I have gotten used to it over the years, since I have had about 4 vehicles done.. But my first vehicle ever that I had tinted.. I asked the installer to do like 20% and he said, bubba.. If you are going to go below the legal limit, you might as well just go to one of the lowest and make it to were nobody can see in your vehicle.. If you are going to get a ticket for 20% then you would get a ticket for 5%.. So i went with 5% and thats what I have gotten on all of my vehicles since.. I love being able to stare at people at stop lights and never have to worry about them seeing me. Plus, with black leather interior.. I can literally flick someone off at night standing at the front of my vehicles grille and they can't even see me!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im pretty sure that the reason why some of the tints reveal a haze to the windows is due to polarizing properties that might be in the film. This polarization can reveal this inner laminates in the glass. I first noticed this with a good pair of glasses who's claim to fame was to allow the wearer to see into water (fishing). When I looked through my car windows the first time I could clearly see the "rubber glue" that is used to hold the sheets together and keep all the shards in place when it breaks ...

I could be wrong ....

I stopped at my local shop to talk to my tinter about getting my front window done. I told him that people state about this "Haze" on the front windshield. he stated that you get that haze when using just a normal everyday regular window tint. He did however say that there is a new tint out by Llumar that is made specifically for front windshields and it has a glare to it that is damn near not visible on windshields. I looked at an audi he had just done which was at like 80 Volume which was about 20% TINT. It looked really good. You couldn't see inside the vehicle and it didn't even seem as if it had a tint on it. Its expensive, right at 90$ to do just that front window, were regular tint is 40$ but.. He did show me that before the vehicle was tinted it sat outside for a full day with a temperature meter inside of it. The next day, it was HOTTER outside and after the tint. The vehicle was 20-30 degrees cooler inside at times.. I am sold, and will be doing this to my edge very soon.