"No Key Detected" and Car Won't Start

When my wife's 2011 Edge was about a year old she had this problem twice. Both times putting the keyfob in the slot in the console did no good. I drove home from work and picked up the second keyfob, and the car started as soon as I handed it to her in the car. Had the dealer order me a new keyfob, and the problem went away.

Until today....same thing with not detecting the keyfob, started right up when I walked up to the car with the second keyfob I brought from home.

She is quite disappointed in her Edge, between this keyfob problem and the MFT operation.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me over the weekend. 2012 Ford Edge Limited. Stopped at the gas station to fill up and when I was done hopped in the car and nothing it would not start. FOB-1 was in my pocket as always, FOB-2 was in the console slot like always. Removed both, swapped them around but nothing would make it recognize either FOB. Called AAA and as they were getting ready to tow it the guy opened the door and this time the alarm didn't go off so I tried again and this time it started. Drove over to dealer and they just acted like idiots, no idea what could have happened and didn't offer to test anything, said if it was working there was nothing to check. Still no idea why it failed, I never carry a phone or anything else in my pockets and the remote start worked fine.

• 5 weeks later...

I had the exact same experience this morning at the gas station and I too have a 2011 Edge and the manual says buttons facing out. Didn't matter, slot didn't work. My wife brought the second fob from home and that got it started. And yes, I too called the dealership and they had no clue on where the slot was. The manual should have a picture or diagram, which it doesn't and I'm glad to hear that they have fixed the wording. But, now I have no idea why it did it or when it will happen again. Ugh.

I am requesting help. I have a 2012 SE Edge with 7500 miles. Today I was driving back from Mammoth and just reached a town called Adelanto, stopped off at the Circle K for bathroom break. I tried to start the engine and it didn't crank. I thought it was a dead battery and call AAA for a jump. The tow driver tried to jump the battery and engine didn't turn. checked all the fuses, connectors, nothing. horns work, parking light works, head lights work, radio works, all the gauges work. Only the vertical parking lights, Philips LED DRL, wasn't working. I again checked the fuses. I called road side assistance and Ford dealership and they instructed me to lock and unlock the car and turn the ingition again. nothing. I even tried the secret fob slot in the center storage. nothing work. the display doesnt show anything of "no key detected." I tried the shifter in park and neutral, nothing. I key does spin fully to ingition but just cant get the starter to sent juice to the engine. I finally got it towed to the Victorville dealership and I drove in a friends car to San Diego, 150 miles south of the Victorville Dealership. The sales guy there thinks its a bad fob. but the service department was closed so no one there to confirm. Does anyone here have or had this weird issue?

Edited by melgriffith

I have had no problem with Intelligent Access system.

Photos attached are of emergency slot & IA fob in center console of my MKX.

Slot inclines IA fob about 30 degrees aft from vertical.

For rustypayne: You mention you always carry IA Fob #1 in your pocket and you always leave IA Fob #2 in your console.

Does IA Fob #2 in your console cause your vehicle to be driveable when you & IA Fob #1 are not present?

Is that equivalent to leaving one's key in the ignition?

Perhaps I'm missing something in your description.

Good luck!

post-23702-0-50640500-1359391362_thumb.jpg

post-23702-0-16211400-1359391399_thumb.jpg

post-23702-0-46822300-1359391438_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to my bride earlier today. Car unlocked normally (key was in her purse as usual) but then told her there was no key present when she tried starting it. She fished the key out of her purse and tried again with no joy. As a last resort she hit the lock and unlock buttons on the fob and tried again at which point the car started normally.

Hope this procedure helps someone else out of a bind.

• 3 months later...

Thank you Ford Edge Forum!!

Today my 3 month old Edge Limited failed as per this topic. I tried both keyfobs - every button functioned as normal - tailgate, remote start, lock, unlock, rear liftgate - but both said "no key detected" when the start button was pushed. I called the dealership I bought the car from, and they said I would have to call roadside assistance and have it towed to the nearest dealership. I was really ticked! 3 months old and this.... The local dealership's service dept isn't open on Saturdays - but their sales guy said the same thing - I would have to have it towed on Monday and they would check it out. My next thought was to check this forum - owners always seem to know what to do. Sure enough, instructions for using the slot in the console were followed and the car immediately started and has been working fine since. I will take it in to the dealership on Monday, but I will be driving it in thanks to the forum! Hopefully the techs have more of a clue than the sales people.

Kurt

Edited by Starstruk

Thank you Ford Edge Forum!!

Today my 3 month old Edge Limited failed as per this topic. I tried both keyfobs - every button functioned as normal - tailgate, remote start, lock, unlock, rear liftgate - but both said "no key detected" when the start button was pushed. I called the dealership I bought the car from, and they said I would have to call roadside assistance and have it towed to the nearest dealership. I was really ticked! 3 months old and this.... The local dealership's service dept isn't open on Saturdays - but their sales guy said the same thing - I would have to have it towed on Monday and they would check it out. My next thought was to check this forum - owners always seem to know what to do. Sure enough, instructions for using the slot in the console were followed and the car immediately started and has been working fine since. I will take it in to the dealership on Monday, but I will be driving it in thanks to the forum! Hopefully the techs have more of a clue than the sales people.

Kurt

You don't need a forum - you just need to read the owner's manual.

Sorry but it irks me when people refuse to read the instructions that come with the vehicle.

Not saying this is what happened .. but its what I've come to realize. These systems are not as "fast" and forgiving as most of the electronics gadgets we've become accustomed to. They are a little slower to respond and get confused easily.

There is a sequence that you have to do to start the car either remote or sitting in the seat and pushing the button. The two times I've had this happen to me, the 1st was when I was showing it off to a friend and I handed them the fob and told them do A - B - C and it will start. Not being familiar with the process they pressed a button out of sequence and tried a door handle, start button out of sequence and there was going to be NO starting for me for 3-4 minutes. "No Key Found" I think the system has a epileptic seizure and needs a 3-5 minute period where it gathers its senses. In reality its just resetting its timers.

The second was I'd placed my fob in my left rear pocket. Moving it to the front right quickly resolved it

All this is just my observations and anecdotal evidence, and while I'm not a Ford engineer, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Sometimes I think Ford would do well to have a "everyday person" on the design team.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10788-edge-did-wierd-thing-last-night/?do=findComment&comment=81697

• Like 1

MR akirby - moderator,

I did look over the manual when I bought the car .... 3 months ago - but 45 minutes before I'm supposed to be at a funeral was not the time to dig it out. I called two dealers, who should have known what to do, but didn't. I checked the forum next as I had done with my previous vehicle - a VW Touareg. All I wanted to do is offer thanks for the posts and info - something that has never "irked someone" on any other forum I have ever posted, especially to say thanks! Please consider there may be extenuating circumstances before criticizing someone. Nice welcome to the Edge forum.

Edited by Starstruk
  • Like 1

Starstruk, don't take akirby's comment to heart :) These days, forums are so easy to get info from, it feels like people don't take the time to go through the owner's manual. A lot of good info is right there in those tomes. Not that I can blame them. Those things get more complex and indecipherable every day (by sheer necessity).

FYI to everyone: If you want the electronic version, all you have to do is hop on over to http://www.motorcraftservice.com, then click on OWNER GUIDES in the left hand column, and select the vehicle of interest. You will find plenty of PDFs to keep you occupied :)

MR akirby - moderator,

I did look over the manual when I bought the car .... 3 months ago - but 45 minutes before I'm supposed to be at a funeral was not the time to dig it out. I called two dealers, who should have known what to do, but didn't. I checked the forum next as I had done with my previous vehicle - a VW Touareg. All I wanted to do is offer thanks for the posts and info - something that has never "irked someone" on any other forum I have ever posted, especially to say thanks! Please consider there may be extenuating circumstances before criticizing someone. Nice welcome to the Edge forum.

This is important information to know (as you found out). If you had time to call two dealers and talk to two different people then log in and read through the forum then you had time to look it up in the owner's manual. But that's not really the answer because this is something you should have known already.

Here is the crux of the matter: What if the answer hadn't already been posted here - then what would you have done?

By pointing this out I'm trying to encourage you to actually read (not just browse) the owner's manual so you know these things before something happens next time. There is a lot of other relevant information in there that you need to know along with a lot of neat features that you'd never know about if you didn't read it.

So please - just RTFM either before or immediately after you get your vehicle. The online PDF at fordowner.com or motorcraftservice.com can also be saved for future reference (and it's searchable by keywords).

What really really irks me is when people post a question that can be easily found in the OM, then wait several days for a reply when all they have to do is open the manual and spend 5 minutes looking it up.

I equate it to having a dictionary on your desk but calling someone else to find out how to spell a word.

[/soapbox]

Got a soapbox too -

Yes it is an important question, as I found out. Both Ford dealers are programmed in my phone. No time wasted there. This forum is bookmarked and you don't have to log in to search for an answer. I typed "no key detected" in the search box, and in about 10 seconds I had an answer that worked. Not sure how I was supposed to already know this - my salesman didn't say - Oh BTW, someday you are going to try and start your car and this is whats going to happen... and, here's a list of a hundred other things that may go wrong someday.

Not finding an answer is not the issue - I would have taken the other car sitting in the driveway and dealt with it later.

I did take time to read the manual - all the new things such as sync, navigation, sirius radio, etc - things that are different in this vehicle, and yes those features are neat.

I downloaded the pdf to my phone so I will have it at my fingertips in the future. Over coffee this morning it still took about 15 minutes to find it in the pdf manual - because searching "no key detected" won't get you to any reference on what to do. However if you are patient and search just "key" there is a reference on what to do "if your car won't start" on pg 175 of 571 pages.... and there is no "troubleshooting" section in the manual either. They want you to call for service.

I didn't post a question, but I did say thanks for the answer to the person that did. I agree, most questions can be answered in the manual, however "easily" is not a word I would use in this case.

I equate it to opening your mouth when there is "no key detected"

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

I agree, most questions can be answered in the manual, however "easily" is not a word I would use in this case.

Well, if you flip to the back there's an Index, if you look up "Key" it takes you to page 172 and if you look up "starting the vehicle" it takes you to page 173. It's not that hard to get to page 175 by reading from there. Still seems faster to me than calling two different dealers.

In about 10 seconds I had an answer that worked.

Takes WAY longer than 10 seconds to call 2 dealers and discuss it with them. I'm guessing at least 10 minutes.

Not sure how I was supposed to already know this - my salesman didn't say - Oh BTW, someday you are going to try and start your car and this is whats going to happen... and, here's a list of a hundred other things that may go wrong someday.

You learn about the same way everyone else did - you RTFM. I guess you don't know about the hidden physical key, either. RTFM.

I did take time to read the manual - all the new things such as sync, navigation, sirius radio, etc - things that are different in this vehicle

So keyless start wasn't new in this vehicle?

You're not going to win this one. Just say mea culpa or screw you guys and be done with it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm a relatively young technology professional and I hate the IK.

I love my Edge but I think the whole "Intelligent Key" thing is a misguided application of technology for technology's sake. The Intelligent key is my least-favorite aspect of the vehicle. If you still need a physical object to enter and start your car, removing the capability to start the car with a key was a "bad move" imo. I'd rather have a regular key with a door lock/unlock button than the large, clumsy "intelligent" key. Or at least have the option of using a smaller, less-functional, key. If I had to choose between the IK and a simple physical key that only unlocked the door and started the car and did nothing else, I'd go that route. But, that's me.

If Ford is trying to be really forward-thinking then they'd create a smart-phone app that you could pair with your car for the advanced functions. I wish there was an option to remove it and get a regular key. Oh well.

I LOVE that feature and upgraded to a Titanium Fusion to get it. The fact that I can open the door, start the vehicle, stop the vehicle and lock the vehicle without taking anything out of my pocket is great. I have both the IA key and the IKT (integrated key with remote buttons) for different vehicles. There isn't much difference in size. Over time they'll get smaller.

I love my Edge but I think the whole "Intelligent Key" thing is a misguided application of technology for technology's sake.

Wow that's a new one. I think you make a very weak argument but to each their own I guess.

Walking up to your car and unlocking by putting your hand on the handle is very efficient. Walking up to the lift gate with a bunch of parcels and not having to fumble for your key fob is also incredibly convenient. One of the best things to be added to cars since keyless entry IMHO.

I'm not saying the giant multi-function intelligent key isn't a useful *option*, I feel there should be a way to use a traditional key as well.

Maybe most folks are used to having several bulky items in their pockets at all times, I'm more of a minimalist. I have a small money clip with a few bills cash and 4 cards. I have a 3 keys I carry, one of which is the large Ford remote.

For instance, I'm a member of a "Clean Car Club" where I get the car washed regularly. I can't leave the key in my pocket, I have to leave it in the car. Normal key - no problem, it's hanging in the ignition. Intelligent key, I have to remember to leave it in the cup-holder or whatever.

Not a huge deal but unnecessary if only they had an old-fashioned key ignition option integrated with the push-button start.

Maybe I'll grow to trust the door-code system and just leave one of the keys in the center console.

I'm not saying the giant multi-function intelligent key isn't a useful *option*, I feel there should be a way to use a traditional key as well.

Maybe most folks are used to having several bulky items in their pockets at all times, I'm more of a minimalist. I have a small money clip with a few bills cash and 4 cards. I have a 3 keys I carry, one of which is the large Ford remote.

For instance, I'm a member of a "Clean Car Club" where I get the car washed regularly. I can't leave the key in my pocket, I have to leave it in the car. Normal key - no problem, it's hanging in the ignition. Intelligent key, I have to remember to leave it in the cup-holder or whatever.

Not a huge deal but unnecessary if only they had an old-fashioned key ignition option integrated with the push-button start.

Maybe I'll grow to trust the door-code system and just leave one of the keys in the center console.

So it's only inconvenient once a week or month at the carwash where all you have to do is throw the key into the cupholder, compared to the 2, 4 or more times you have to get in and out of the car every day.

I won't apologize or further defend my perfectly valid opinion that the intelligent key is large and awkward in many of my typical use-cases.

It's a regular hassle in ways that a 'normal' key never was.

I'm clearly well outside the norm here. Moving on.

Luckily Ford gives you the option of going with the regular key in the Edge, unlike some other brands. Or you could just get a GM SUV and not worry about intelligent access!

I won't apologize or further defend my perfectly valid opinion that the intelligent key is large and awkward in many of my typical use-cases.

It's a regular hassle in ways that a 'normal' key never was.

I'm clearly well outside the norm here. Moving on.

Doesn't sound very rational to me, but hey it's your car and your pockets.

• 2 weeks later...