Overdrive Button

cmillz1331

Living in Florida.....I never turn OD off. If living where very hilly or mountainous....where I might need to keep RPM up to better climb hills at less than full throttle, would probably turn it off for climbing. Especially if engine is struggling at low RPM and doesn't seem to want to down shift on it's own.

May turn OD off to come down a long steep mountain also. If I needed some additional engine braking.

Only turn it off if you're towing a heavy load and it's constantly downshifting to maintain speed or you're descending a long hill or mountain and want to use engine braking to save the friction brakes from heating up.

The last time I turned it off was in the mountains spring of last year.

Just an additional note RE: "L": if you put it L from a stop and just give it a little bit of gas, you'll never get out of first gear until you open up the throttle. If you give it full throttle and hold it, it will run up near redline and then shift while in L up the gears until it gets to 5th (I believe).

Mike, are you smoking those 22s in your "launch mode"? It most certainly will smoke the 18s.

• 1 month later...

While the ODbutton is off and you are decending a hill just touch the breaks and hold the pedal, not enough to engage them, and the trans will downshift. If the speed isnt slowed the trans will downshift another gear. Very handy way to slow in hilly areas without using your breaks.