Ford Bug Deflector

I finally received my Bug Deflector that was ordered with my Edge.

It has these little rubber bumpers that appear to attach to the hood to keep the deflector from hitting it. This is the first one I've seen for a vehicle that has these. These will be a bugger to wax around and I doubt they will stay stuck on.

Has anyone else added one and what did you do with these bumpers?

I was thinking of omitting them or looking for another brand of deflector. I'm not keen on these cheesy stick on things.

It has these little rubber bumpers that appear to attach to the hood to keep the deflector from hitting it. This is the first one I've seen for a vehicle that has these. These will be a bugger to wax around and I doubt they will stay stuck on.

I was thinking of omitting them or looking for another brand of deflector. I'm not keen on these cheesy stick on things.

I had one on my 93 Lightning with the rubber bumpers. Without them, the deflector tends to wobble a lot at speed. Frankly, I think at least in my case that these things seem more like a rock attractor then a deflector. It did help with bugs, but in the 10 years that I had the Lightning, I had 5 broken windshields. Many times, I saw small stones coming & could see the wind current steer them lower onto the windshield area.

The little bumpers actually attach to the back of the bug deflector itself, not on the hood.

We had one installed on our New Edge about 3 weeks ago. At first I wondered why they didn't install it when they brought the Vehicle around. Thne when I walked up to it I seen the guard. I have to say that the engineer that designed it took appearance into mind. I think it was $120 install and it matches the carbon color perfectly.

I had one on my 93 Lightning with the rubber bumpers. Without them, the deflector tends to wobble a lot at speed. Frankly, I think at least in my case that these things seem more like a rock attractor then a deflector. It did help with bugs, but in the 10 years that I had the Lightning, I had 5 broken windshields. Many times, I saw small stones coming & could see the wind current steer them lower onto the windshield area.

I've always added them to my trucks to keep the leading edge from chipping up from rocks. I can't say they do much for the windscreen though. I too tend to collect rocks regardless of what I'm driving. The PT cruiser collected so many that I now have just left it dinged.

I tried a Bra a few years back on my Celica and Probe GT's. Both cars ended up with a disaster under it. I've since ran nothing on the cars but the shields on the trucks/

The little bumpers actually attach to the back of the bug deflector itself, not on the hood.

Looking at my instructions they show them attached to the hood - I'm not keen on this. Are yours on the screen itself?

I would prefer that but the instructions are very clear on this. I thought maybe the reason was they tapped the hood so often that if they were on the screen they would mark the paint so they figured a bit of glue was better - who knows!

See diagram below for the details.

post-515-1189092527_thumb.jpg

I would prefer that but the instructions are very clear on this. I thought maybe the reason was they tapped the hood so often that if they were on the screen they would mark the paint so they figured a bit of glue was better - who knows!

See diagram below for the details.

That makes sense. The one I had also showed them mounted to the hood.

I purchased Ford Edge approved bug shield (says Edge on right hand side). Had my Ford dealer install at a cost of $50.00

post-829-1189216101_thumb.jpg

Mounts with 6 screws under front of hood (holes had to be drilled). Plastic buttons are attached to bug shield to space shield away from hood.

Does a great job of keeping bugs off the windshield.

I got one from dealer too for about $55 total after taxes and they installed it for me for no charge. Sounds like someone got ripped off for $120. :o They did have to drill holes in hood, but it does a good job of keeoing bugs off. Looks pretty sharp too. It is kinda a pain to wash under/around it, but o well. It serves its purpose and I love it!!! :shades:

• 1 month later...

I recently added an AVS Bugdeflector to our 2007 Edge. I bought the clear version and then sprayed the back side with matching body color paint (redfire metallic) and it looks great! A lot better than just having a black plastic one on the front.

As for drilling holes, I too was worried about drilling into our new hood, but once you look at the hood, it only takes 2 or 3 small screws and the hood is already made to be drilled. No problem. Did not use the bumpers.

• 1 month later...

The little rubber bumpers do go on the hood. If attached to the deflector and the deflector keeps bouncing on the hood it will wear the paint away. It happened on a friends Ford truck. He thought they should go on the defelector instead of the hood also & learned the hard way that he should have followed the instructions. Lucky he was a body & paint man & was able to repaint it. Myslef I purchased a Weather Tech hood deflector & it is stiff enough not to need the rubber bumpers. Also it can be attached with double stick tape (it comes pre applied) or 4 screws. I chose the tape method. I did many trials on the position of the deflector & made a few marks with a black marker to outline where to stick it. I also used a good grease & wax remover on the paint before application. No problems so far.

• 5 months later...

after seeing a few installed... I might change my opinion about these

can anyone here post a few pictures of the Ford model only:

-the view from the drivers perspective. what do you see when looking down at the bug shield? is it a nice finished edge facing you from your view?

-does anyone have photos of one mounted on a 2008 White San Tri Coat?

-anyone with one long term now have any issues creep up with these thngs worth noting? (e.g.,, bumpers fall off, hard to clean under, looks bas all nicked up, etc)

I used to work for the manufacturer of the bug shields and you DO NOT WANT TO STICK THE BUMPERS TO THE SHIELD!! Road grit will get between the bumper and the paint, and movement of the shield will sand the paint off. We had hundreds of damage claims come in, and in every case the person had stuck the bumpers to the shield instead of the hood. If the manufacturer is still using the quality 3M Bumpons (brand name), they will stay on forever, won't damage the paint, and can be removed without damaging the paint.

Trust me on this one...

Also, we did have problems with rust in the drilled holes in the hood. It will take years, but it was almost inevitable. Our instructions were to use GE Silicone rubber sealant on the screws. A big gob stuck in the hole, and more smeared on the screw would help cover the bare metal that drilling exposed.

Rick

Edited by KCFlyer

yep, read about sticking the bumpers to the hood (I wonder how hard they would be to get off hood) versus the actual shield. Makes total sense to me.

Also, if I ever drilled into exposed once painted metal, I personally would paint the holes with primer, let dry AND use a silicon to keep out any possible water and make water tight.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently added an AVS Bugdeflector to our 2007 Edge. I bought the clear version and then sprayed the back side with matching body color paint (redfire metallic) and it looks great! A lot better than just having a black plastic one on the front.

As for drilling holes, I too was worried about drilling into our new hood, but once you look at the hood, it only takes 2 or 3 small screws and the hood is already made to be drilled. No problem. Did not use the bumpers.

Hi there, I noticed you said that you added the AVS Bug deflector. I had this and side window deflectors added to my copper edge, except I didn't know you could paint them and all that. I am interested in seeing a picture of yours. Can you show me a picture?

I hate the way it looks because it looks like it is a lot bigger than the one edge sells. I had asked for an edge one and was told that AVS is a better brand and would be low profile. I don't have a picture yet, but I've already asked them to replace it with the Edge one and it will be replaced next week. I would love to see how yours looks.

Thanks,

Andry

I personally don't care for the look of the WeatherTech or AVS because if you look at them, they over hang at the edges, rounded over hangs even worse, and that just looks cheap to me. I like the fact that the Ford one stops at the hoods edge, has a straight edge and thus blends with the hood panels edge line.

BTW.. would still love to see someone with a Ford brand bug deflector mounted on their white sand tri coat :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

I personally don't care for the look of the WeatherTech of AVS because if you look at them, they over hang at the edges, rounded over hangs even worse, and that just looks cheap to me. I like the fact that the Ford one stops at the hoods edge, has a straight edge and thus blends with the hood panels edge line.

BTW.. would still love to see someone with a Ford brand bug deflector mounted on their white sand tri coat :)

They do hang over the edges. I do not like it. I do hope that I like it once they switch all the deflectors to the Ford Edge brand, I feel like now that I don't like these I won't like the other ones either. But really, they look sooo cheap looking.

Hope it doesn't ruin my car getting the side ones off.

I personally don't care for the look of the WeatherTech or AVS because if you look at them, they over hang at the edges, rounded over hangs even worse, and that just looks cheap to me. I like the fact that the Ford one stops at the hoods edge, has a straight edge and thus blends with the hood panels edge line.

I also would like to see if anyone has pictures of the Ford brand bug deflector, but mounted on their Carbon Metallic.

I also would like to see if anyone has pictures of the Ford brand bug deflector, but mounted on their Carbon Metallic.

I had a Ford bug deflector mounted when I bought my Edge 6 wks ago. I love it!!! I think it adds alot to the front of the car. I had pictures posted but I'm not sure that you can see the deflector. My Edge is a Redfire!!!! I have gotten lots of compliments on it.