Brightlites Review

mtbalser

OK, we all know Daytime Brightlites and how good their specialty lights make our Edges sparkle. But, I want to add a little something from my experience in dealing with them.

A few months ago I decided to take the plunge and order the DRLs (early production) for my 2012 Edge Limited (a little expensive but, what the heck). Received them quickly and installed immediately, worked great for about two days and then they started blinking off and on. Emailed Brightlights and they immediately responded not only by email but also by phone, talked to Dan (owner) he explained that it was a design defect in the control module and would be sending a replacement the next day. Got it, replaced it, problem solved. So a couple of months go by and I notice a fogging or crazing on the lenses, emailed with photo to Brightlites, and Dan once again responded, explained the defect and sent me a new set with bonus for my troubles. Installed yesterday and they are fabulous.

The whole point is – you get what you pay for – customer service (when do you get to talk to the owner) and product is fantastic. Yes, lights may seem to be a little pricey but what other company do you know of that backs a product like Brightlites, and treats you like you are their only client.

I highly recommend Daytime Brightlites for all lighting mods as well as good advice and instructions on how too.

Oh, and I am not related!

Edited by kc300c, Today, 11:11 PM "right after a posted this reply" - crap, I can't believe I wrote so much. Sorry for the novel.

M.B., thanks for the nice review of our vertical LED DRLs and the level of service we gave you. M.B. was one of our first 30 customers and ordered a set of our Vertical LED Running Lights with the OFFSET light pipe. As we began building more and more vertical DRLs, we looked for ways to help improve the manufacturing process both from a quality standpoint as well as developing manufacturing methods that would reduce labor, materials and component costs. As anyone who has been in the manufacturing business, sometimes these two objectives conflict with each other. That's what happened to M.B. regarding the interior surface of the lens fogging up.

I traced the failure back to the reflector paint. I tried using a more durable black paint coating to cover the chrome reflector to reduce the chances of the paint failing years down the road. It was (and still is) the best coating for the job, but I failed to read that it has a longer curing/drying time than the paint I had previously used. Another strike against me was the fact that it had rained and the humidity was very high, further increasing the dry time. So before the coating was completely cured the lenses were attached and sealed to the housing. This trapped in the still uncured paint not allowing the the chemical vapors to out-gas into the atmosphere. Over time, with summer days becoming hotter and hotter, the chemical vapor began to boil off of the reflector paint and attached to the poly-carbonate lens. The corrosive chemicals from the vapor permanently etched the crystal clear lens (in the trash they went). I not only allow more curing time but have implemented procedures to further reduce the chances of this happening again.

I'll save the explaination of the Philips controller issue for a later post, but in short, the first versions of the Philips controllers had difficulties with the erratic voltage levels that is unique to the electrical system of the Edge. Philips developed and is now supplying me with a new controller version that absolutely solves the problem.

I'm glad M.B. chose to include the hiccups he and I shared with his lights in his review. Starting a new business and developing a new product does not take place in a bubble. I felt terribly at first about the issues a few of my first customers experienced. But soon I discovered the coolest thing, my customers, including M.B., did not get upset or ask for a refund as i thought some might do. But no, they rolled up their sleeves, popped their hoods and helped me to find the root cause of the issue. I was amazed by this at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that we all are Edge enthusiasts and we want our Edge to be the best we can make it. If the rolls were reversed, I would have rolled up my sleeves as well.

Thanks again M.B. and all of the other forum members who have bought my lights and those who helped me work through some of the early kinks (you know who you are). And thanks for the kind words about my service. Yeah, the money is nice, but I think I get more from the business by the friends I'm making along the way.

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to this post.

Dan is awesome to work with. I picked up the puddle lights and the DRLs. Everything was perfect and hooked right up.

These DRLs are awesome and the workmanship is very nice. I recommend getting them for a unique look!!! Thanks Dan

for working with me!!!

Pictures never do show bright these things are! To be honest when I got into the car the first time I thought my HIDs came

on when I started the car. HA!

Pic:

post-22789-0-43545900-1349621197_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

DBEDGE23

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice things you said about my lights and service. You all were also great to work with and really enjoyed our conversations. Wish we could have done it in person instead of by email.

Thanks DB for pointing out that photos just can't capture the true punch of light that these put out. This is my biggest weakness in trying to market them. No matter what setting I use on my cameras, I have never been able to get close to the true life look.

I for one am happy that Dan didnt photoshop the light pictures. It's quite refreshing that he is not going that direction because in my opinion doing such really is improper or false advertising. All of us with the Phillips 8-led kits can tell anyone who would like to know that the photos we take with our own camera equipment just do not show either the true brightness or color temperature. I would just rather people know that than Dan go in and manipulate photos of his lights with software. Hopefully, people can trust me as another owner, they are freaking bright!! Dan did an excellent job putting my lights together. He's running a fantastic service for people like me who have no business messing with water color paints much less real chemicals, paints, and adhesives!

Edited by Cdpratt69
  • Like 1

I also want to give the man and his company a well deserved thanks. Everything as promised. The last time i received this kind of service was 30 years ago when I dealt with real people.

Generally speaking, service in most on line businesses today has become an inconvenience to a companies bottom line. Usually their plan is to pour the cash into marketing, sell the item, get the cash, and deliver the product. If an issue arises later, they make it so difficult to contact the right party, and make it almost impossible to return or exchange the item because of shipping costs, time, and delays. So you end up eating the item because it is too much hassle to rectify the problem.

BrightLights is a breath of fresh air.

I wish I could buy my next car from the guy!!

FYI... Canadian customers who have, or may be considering the LED DRLs. If you have some flickering or dimming effects not related to the product the simple solution is to go to your dealer or mechanic and have the PCM re- programmed to switch your DRLs from the headlights to the parking lights. It takes 2 min. Two reasons.....one... it eliminates the issue of conflict when it is wired to the headlight circuit. and other issues that occur when HIDs are installed. Two) if you don't install HIDs you won't notice the vast difference in the white colors between the LEDs and factory DRL headlights.

Also....maybe it's me, but the Edge looks cool with parking light DRLs. I found this out from an engineer at Ford. The Edge and Lincolns are built near my house.

• Like 1