where the back glass meets the bottom of the spoiler

Apparently there is a seal between the spoiler and the back glass on the bottom side of the spoiler. This 'gasket' (looks kind of like a thin foam) has come out is a couple places on my Edge and is hanging just below the spoiler.

Would it hurt anything to just remove what has come loose, or should I take this to the dealer to have it fixed?

We bought a new Edge 3 weeks ago. The car has been in the body shop though for the last two weeks for lot damage. We also had the gasket coming out. We had the dealership fix it, although they are having a hard time getting a new one for it. I'm a little annoyed its taking so long to be fixed but we got a rental payed for by the dealershipe. I also work there so i know how things run around there. That gasket should be a warranty issue but i'm not sure. They are fixing it internal but i'm sure they could warranty it. as for removing it i don't know if it would be a big deal or not.

I would not remove it....it most likely keeps water from seeping in. I would have the dealer replace it. I have been reading the post on this forum and people are having problems with their edges...i have had 0 problems and have had my edge since apr 07. I wish you luck on the gasket problem. Things like that should not be happening on a $30,000 plus vehicle.

Here is a picture in case anyone is curious (please excuse the filthy back glass).

post-1226-1189359362_thumb.jpg

I will definitely leave it as is until I get a chance to take it to the dealer. Thanks for the replies.

Hey Carbonedge,

I had the same thing happen to with the spoiler and my dealership said they had to get a new spoiler due to the seal being part of the spoiler. They ordered it and got in the next day.

Thanks for the heads up mgarcia13. Do you have the color matched spoiler or a black spoiler? Mine's color matched so the spoiler replacement is not very encouraging although hopefully it will come from the factory already painted.

Mine is the black spoiler, I am sure it comes already painted, that would suck if it doesn't and you have to wait for the paint.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been reading the post on this forum and people are having problems with their edges...i have had 0 problems and have had my edge since apr 07. I wish you luck on the gasket problem. Things like that should not be happening on a $30,000 plus vehicle.

ditto..... knock on wood!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Update: Took it to the dealer this morning to have the repairs done (already got it back this afternoon). They gave me a loaner without even asking. Here's the kicker on the loaner: the rental dept wasn't open yet and the only thing they had available was a Mustang convertible...and some of you folks were given a lowly Focus...of course it was 28 degrees when I left with it; so much for trying it with the top down...at any rate, repairs are good and I'm satisfied.

• 1 month later...

I've got this same problem. Only difference is I had my windows tinted. I thought the tint shop created the problem, but never had a chance to discuss it with them. I'm now wondering if the Ford dealer would do anything for me since the window has been removed by another shop. Anyone that had this problem fixed also have tint? (other than the factory tint)

Thanks!

I've got this same problem. Only difference is I had my windows tinted. I thought the tint shop created the problem, but never had a chance to discuss it with them. I'm now wondering if the Ford dealer would do anything for me since the window has been removed by another shop. Anyone that had this problem fixed also have tint? (other than the factory tint)

Thanks!

When tinting windows, the window is never removed. They(tinters) pre-cut the film(tint) on using the ourside of the window as a guide. Once the film is cut to "size", they then applied to the inside part of the window.

I have NEVER heard of anyone removing the window for tinting purposes, even some of those back "impossible" to tint windows like the old Corvettes..

Thanks!

:D

Hi kulemt. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but are you saying that the rear window was removed to tint it? Are you sure?

That would be unusual, as most Window Tint Shops simply tint the windows in place, without removing them. I would check with the shop that did the tinting to verify that information.

Either way, whether it was or was not removed, take your Edge back to the Dealer for the problem. Do not mention the window tinting and see if it will be repaired under warranty.

Most likely, it will.

Good luck! :beerchug:

• 1 year later...

I just bought a new 2008 Edge a month ago and am having this issue. The gasket is coming out from under the tail light but not on either side (yet).

Has Ford made any advances with this repair? Can they replace just the gasket yet or am I looking at replacing the entire deflector? I do not like thinking about someone trying to match metallic paint.

Thanks.

I just bought a new 2008 Edge a month ago and am having this issue. The gasket is coming out from under the tail light but not on either side (yet).

Has Ford made any advances with this repair? Can they replace just the gasket yet or am I looking at replacing the entire deflector? I do not like thinking about someone trying to match metallic paint.

Thanks.

Hi igcitng. :D Best advice would be to simply make a Service appointment and take it in to be repaired/replaced.

As you can see, since this is a relatively dead thread it is not a common problem.

No matter what any of us may tell you otherwise, eventually that is what you will need to do anyway. So have it done next time you have the car in for service (oil change etc).

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Just to avoid confusion in the future, the "tail light" in the rear spoiler is actually called the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light). I was momentarily thinking you were talking about a gasket around the left or right tail lights. I do confuse easily sometimes! :hysterical:

Edited by bbf2530

Well, I did take it in last Saturday. Two crabby mechanics and the service manager sent me away not knowing what to do and refusing to set a new appointment to fix it. I was promised that they would contact Ford to see what the fix is. They did not.

Today I put it in the hands of the dealer I bought it from and they are stumped. Fortunately the guy that sold it to me is awesome and I know he will find the answer.

But the whole thing makes me wonder if I made a smart move buying a Ford after driving GM for 22 years. My old Chevy truck was giving me less trouble than the Edge has in the 4 weeks I have had it. :banghead:

Thought I would update this post with some good news. The dealer I purchased from was able to repair the gasket without replacing the spoiler/fin. Took one hour.

I was told the replacements were done on the others because if you remove it the clips break and that is it. However, if not repaired it would start making a lot of noise.

This particular mechanic figured out how to loosen it, re-seat the gasket and tighten it back up.

So if anyone has this problem, find a dealer with someone who has also figured this out.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Old thread, I know. But I found this info online: Seems to be a part number for this gasket, no idea on availability.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WSAV/~MUS~LEN/92/501-08_s3p2541q0.PDF

Hope it will help someone.

021A46

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=ClRxA85wQi2V4GHUyyCJgQ%3d%3d&id=262914911&m=2&search=true&year=2007&make=Ford&model=Edge

If correct, this would be around 5 dollars, compared to buying the entire spoiler, which can run more than 500!

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W