Real snow usage

KSN177

AWD only fixes issue with acceleration and a bit of control but the biggest factors in winter driving are steering and more importantly breaking and the only way to improve those are a good set of winter tires. I have a 2015 Edge Sport and live in the Canadian Prairies and have driven here for almost 20 years. Is the AWD noticeable while accelerating, definitely but until I put some X-ice winter tires on, stopping was not the easiest. Stopping in my Cobalt was easier but that is because it is 1200 pounds less weight with 4 wheel brembo disk brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving in snow and ice takes skill and respect for the true abilities of the vehicle and tires. After driving heavier 4 wheel drives, GMC Acadia AWD, Yukon Denali XL AWD I did not like the way the EDGE AWD performed at all. It accelerated and stopped fine. I feel it is just to light to perform any better than I experienced in heavier snow and slushy conditions. The snow/slush moved the edge all over the place even at moderate speeds.

Apples and oranges. It would be better to compare the Edge/MKX to other crossovers, rather then to larger, heaver vehicles. But your right about it, a 4000 lb. vehicle will not have the heft of a 5000-6000 vehicle. Wasn't designed for it. Any AWD will not be the equal of a 4-wheel drive.

My daughter owns a Jeep that's unstoppable in snow, but my MKX does just fine, especially when I consider that the roads are plowed 99% of the time anyway.

Got a 2016 AWD Edge Titanium with studded Blizzaks in Feb 2016 for my son. Ended up with very little snow since I got it, but it really stuck to the road well when we did get some. Wife has a 2013 AWD Taurus with non-studded Blizzaks; also does real well in the snow even though it doesn't seem to have much clearance. My own vehicle is a 2011 F350 with studded Cooper M&S tires; the AWD cars are much more stable to drive than the truck (much diffrrent vehicle though, of course).

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, cejones said:

Are snow/studded tires needed for the AWD Edge in areas like Killingtgon, VT in mid December?

AWD only helps get you moving and helps plow through snow a certain amount. If your roads get icy then yes buy winter tires and rims. Otherwise you might find it ok on all-seasons or better yet all-weather. No matter what though you can't beat a good winter grip in winter.

• Like 2

Yes, tires are king, no matter the drive or the electronic wizardry.  If the foundation is strong, you can achieve more :)  Don't forget suspension as well.

Nokian Hakkas for winter and WRGs for all weather are good choices.  You could also opt to put on "truck" tires that have the 3 peak symbol on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, cejones said:

Are snow/studded tires needed for the AWD Edge in areas like Killingtgon, VT in mid December?

I get asked this offline a lot too and will give you the same advice. 

If you lived there or went every weekend I'd say get snow tires. If it's an occasional thing, I've been fine for years on good (actually good, not just with a lot of tread) tires. Tirerack will help with ratings. 

That said, the Killington access roads are no joke. With AWD going up is not the problem. Going down can be scary. They maintain them pretty well but if the weather is bad I'd stick to the main road and not the East Mountain Road shortcut.