Fuel tank filling problem

rags

Having trouble getting fuel tank full. Pump kicks off and there is 3 to 5 gallons of fuel until full.

Can fill it but have to go very slow and pump constantly kicks off. Don't like to top off but also don't like

leaving with 3/4 to 7/8 tank of fuel. Search online and seems to be a common problem but haven't seen

any solutions. Went to dealer once but that was a waste of time. Anyone else have this problem? If so,

what was the fix? 2012 3.5L.

Edited by rags

Rags: Welcome to the Forum!

As you've observed from your research, you are not alone in the need to manually pump the final few gallons of fuel into your vehicle if you want an absolute fill-up.

Patience is the only solution that I'm aware of.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Guys, the deal with this issue is that your fuel tank vent hose is clogged. Mine actually had a spider (!) in it. Blowing out the vent hose solves the problem entirely.

My car was actually throwing a CEL code along with this issue. Ford charged me $100 to fix it the first time, but if it happens again I'm going to complain. Apparently this is a pretty common issue.

• 4 months later...

I've had the same problem with my 2013 since the day I bought it. I always come up about 3 or 4 gallons short of a full tank. I set the auto pump on the slowest setting it will go. I have owned it now for about 15 months and 19000 miles.

Just today I checked the fuel used reading (14.5) and the pump shut off at 11.9 I had to keep squeezing it in until I finally filled it at 14.6. I never overfilled or got any gas coming out of the filler or vent.

I will check the vent tube also now that I see that mentioned. It perhaps could have a restriction from the factory, but I really don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I got under the vehicle a couple of months ago to find the vent hose. I didn't see anything there. Around the fill hole there are maybe 6 or 7 smaller holes. I aired up my air compressor and blew the compressed air into all of these holes thinking that at least one of these was the vent. I have filled the tank 3 times since then with no more problems, a full tank each time.

• 1 year later...

I am back with the same problem. I thought I might have had it solved but I don't. Vehicle now has 24,000 miles. Filling the tank with the last 2-5 gallons is the issue, usually right at 3 gallons. Once the pump kicks off if I try try to continue filling I have to do it very slowly and the pump will kick off several times. But if I am at a station that is not busy and I can wait 10 minutes or so it will fill right up when I continue filling maybe kicking off one more time. Common sense tells me that it either is not venting the air quick enough to to let the tank fill normally or there is a problem with the design of the tank baffles that will not let the fuel settle in the tank quick enough.

I took it to a dealer if FL. when it was fairly new and that was a waste of time. I have an appointment Fri. with another dealer here in TN. for Fri. but after talking to the service rep. I don't have a lot of hope for this visit.

I have researched this online several times and I know there are some other Edge owners out there with the same problem, and there seems to be even more Fusion owners out there with the same problems.

Anyone else on the forum run across this? If so, did you get it solved? Thanks in advance

I just keep squeezing the handle until it is full. Usually get another two gallons in the tank. Works the same way with the 2011 I have also. At least they are consistent. Of course I am waiting for the day that as much runs out on the ground as I am putting into the the rusty tank. Then I get a free rental!!!!

Edited by macbwt