about to buy an edge in 4 days!! help!!

nickys.edge

so im going to be buying my edge in about 3-4 days and i was wondering if any of you have any tips of what i should watch out for. or if any of you have been screwed over by the dealer and think i should be watchful of something. im a 22 yr old female and i know in some way or another im going to be taken advantage of. but ive done my research and im prepared. just wondering if theres something specific!! please help....i dont want to be bent over more than i have to..if at all!!! thanks

so im going to be buying my edge in about 3-4 days and i was wondering if any of you have any tips of what i should watch out for. or if any of you have been screwed over by the dealer and think i should be watchful of something. im a 22 yr old female and i know in some way or another im going to be taken advantage of. but ive done my research and im prepared. just wondering if theres something specific!! please help....i dont want to be bent over more than i have to..if at all!!! thanks

Hey Nicky and congrats.

My first advice would be to take along a male partner if possible. If not, make sure they know that you have eyes for another vehicle and are making your choice this week. Tell them you have a deposit on another car but...

Leave out a "trade-in" if possible because they love to play with that middle number.

Tell them that you are making your decision on this number they are providing for you today so if it's not their best number, it would be a mistake. Put down a refundable deposit if need be.

I got them down a bit in price and then negotiated my LCD 2 way remote car starter that was installed at the dealership prior to me picking it up. I felt good about the sale and that's what is important.

If you are concerned on price, maybe there's someone in the pleasanton California area on the forum that could give some insight into your deal? I'm a wee bit further north... :P

Good luck my dear and welcome.

Steve

Edited by blu by u

Nicky: You seem to be full of apprehension.. Is there some reason this 3 or 4 day thing is hanging over you? Look it over...Check a couple dealers...There is a dealer in Dublin right there at 580/680...Maybe Livermore? Danville? Surely, Concord has a biggie.. My point here..Look around...What's this worth? Take the time.... Your 22 for goodness sakes.....You got LOTS of time...... :shift: ........Sr.

If you have cleavage, display it. If you have a good body, show it. The salesman will be distracted, and give you what you want.

If you don't have any of the above, getting a 2007 is a good idea, 'cause the 2008s are on the way, and Mr. Dealer will wheel and deal to get rid of leftover stock. Remember, the dealer is usually paying interest on the cars sitting on his lot..he has to buy them from Ford, and usually, unless the dealer is filthy rich and can front the money himself, they go through a bank or financial institution..so, the longer a car has been on the lot, the more it's costing him, the more eager he will be to get rid of it. Read.."Don't Get Taken Every Time" by Remar Sutton. It is informative, funny, and will teach you a lot. Now, there are those on here that will poo poo Mr. Sutton's book. Ignore them. Read the book. Then, with you new found knowledge, and that low cut top, you'll do just fine.

Here's another alternative: Are you a member of a credit union? There are 3 in Pleasanton (1st United Services; SafeAmerica CU; and Sterlent CU) that you are probably eligible to join if you are not already a member. The added benefit is they generally have an auto buying service that most like gets the X plan pricing. You tell the CU contact what you are looking for specifically, they search all the dealer inventories to find the exact match or something close. If you have to order it to get exactly what you want, they can handle that too. The best thing is, you don't even have to haggle with the dealership salesman. Plus, you can finance it with the CU and generally get a better rate than the dealer or a bank.

I work for a CU and used our auto buying service to find my Edge. They check dealer inventories in Ga and Fla. I started out looking for an SE, but ended up with and SEL+ at a local dealer. There were several reasons for going to the SEL+, but mostly becasue the SEs and SELs didn't have the options I was looking for. I never stepped foot on a dealers lot except for earlier that week to test drive one and determined I had to have one! The dealer that had teh one I wanted brought the Edge to me to check it out. I liked, they took it back, detailed it out and brought it back to me. I don't think they did that just because I work for the CU as I believe they treat all members that way. It could be different in your area, Cali usually is...

Here are the home pages for those CUs if you're interested:

https://www.1stuscu.org

http://www.safeamerica.com

http://www.sterlentcu.org

Here's a way to find other CUs in your area:

http://www.creditunion.coop/cu_locator/quickfind.html

Anyway, just a thought that I figured I would share with you. Good luck, which ever route you choose.

If you find a particular model you like with the options and colour you want get on the web and look around to see what other dealers have something similar. Always be prepared to walk. That is the best tool you can use. Ford sales are not that great nationwide (have no idea what your location is like) and with the 08's coming out you have some power.

Check out edmunds.com to get a feel for what Edges are selling for in your area. The price they quote there is an average so see if you can beat it.

They love to sell you maintenance packages once you get into the Finance Officer. I was told by the Finance Officer that Ford would not honor the warranty unless all the work was done by a Ford dealership. I questioned him on this and was told the new longer warranties demanded this. It's crap. Says so in the manual. Don't do it. Don't get sold on that. Stick to your guns. Sales managers and Finance Officers are the pox. Salesmen can be a piece of work but it has been my experience most salespeople are not too bad. The others can run hot or cold and the last Ford dealer had a pair of real winners. I really should have walked!

I'm not big on extended warranties either but have noticed that some folks are. Depends on how long you keep a car. If offered one, refuse. They will usually come back with a lower figure. Sometimes several lower figures - it varies with the dealership. It's up to you if you think you'll need one. The factory warranty is pretty good.

Being young and female some dealerships will try to take advantage of you - the good ones won't. I don't think this is an automatic. If you feel that happening walk. As you purchase more cars over the years you will appreciate that tool more than any other and it takes practice.

If you feel rushed, unsure or uncomfortable walk. Take some time, get your facts straight if you need to then go back. There are several reasons to walk and not all of them are due to a bad dealer experience. You are going to spend a lot of money so you may as well be as comfortable about the decision as you can.

well i plan to pay cash for this car and i went through this web site called a fighting chance by james briggs i think and it basically tells you how to buy a car under invoice. and i know what i want in my car and i have already got in touch with about a dozen dealers in my area. on monday im about tolaunch my email/fax attack. which ultimatlry has the dealers competing for my money withou me going to the dealers...its awsome. im just concerned that when i go down to sign all the papers that they might push something on me that i wasnt expecting.

and god has bestoyed on me a great body with long legs to boot. so im sure i will go there dressed to kill. ill be sure to post the outfit i wore and MY NEW CAR!!!! i hope it works.

i am weel prepared, the reason it will take 3-4 days is that i have to give the dealers time and then call them back and tell them my lowest price and see if they can beat it. i was offered 22k for an SE FWD. an dthat is the car im looking for, also the invoice is 23.9k. so i think thats pretty good. all the stars are lined up for me....end of quarter and end of 07 model. i should get some good deals. id be happy to tellthe final out come. wish me luck!!

Sounds like you have done your homework. The Finance Officer (you get to see him/her whether you pay in cash or finance - they are the ones that draw up all the legal paperwork) is the dealers last chance to squeeze some money out of you. Going in with your eyes open should serve you well.

Good Luck!

well i plan to pay cash for this car

i was offered 22k for an SE FWD. an dthat is the car im looking for, also the invoice is 23.9k. so i think thats pretty good. all the stars are lined up for me....end of quarter and end of 07 model. i should get some good deals. id be happy to tellthe final out come. wish me luck!!

That's basically the X-plan price. As long as you don't pay ANYTHING more than that, you'll have done well.

2007 or 2008?

Do you work for a Company that might have X-Plan privileges?

Any neighbors work for Ford?

Credit union is a good idea for getting a deal.

Internet managers usually get to the bottom price pretty fast. I'd keep in touch with them on line.

Did you have an Explorer before? Prior Explorer owners get some extra incentive on an '08. No other incentives that I have seen.

There can be as much as $2,500 on an '07 depending on where the vehicle will be registered and what you might qualify for.

You have up to a year to get an extended service or maintenance plan without any penalty. Wait to see if you think you might want to keep it long term - over 50,000 miles. Any dealership can sell an ESP and there are deals on-line.

Once you have a vehicle you like, ask them to run a Vincent (vin + incentive) report on it to see if there are incentives you might be eligible for (they will need the first 2 and last 8 of the vin). If you spot a vehicle you like, another dealer can run Vincent on it also. They may or may not want to share the information with you, but you will appear very savy and they will know you are serious about getting the best deal possible.

When you go to the dealership, tell them you are working a deal over the internet and are just looking at alternatives. Try to deal with their internet manager rather than a floor salesperson if you can.

Document fees and paint protecyion, etc. are all negotiable.

Good luck.