Rear Bumper Saver

I bought the Ford Part. Mine says EDGE in the middle of it. Very easy to install and protects quite well as Josie jumps into and out of her Kennel.

Ā 

No issues at all with lift gate etc. or anything else for that matter. Sure it is just an appliquƩ, but what did you want?

Ā 

I'm basically satisfied with the one you bought but I do have a problem with the fact that if you install it with the guide system it comes with (as I did), there is a strip unprotected between the appliquƩ and the bumper's edge. Because of this, I still avoid placing anything on the bumper. I am in a band and used to set instrument cases on the bumper of our Durango before sliding them in the back. No, I don't want the Durango back. The after-market protector mentioned above appears to extend to the bumper's edge and it's additional thickness would work better for my purposes. Considering what it consists of, the Ford protector also seems a little pricey but what's done is done.

• Like 1

I'm basically satisfied with the one you bought but I do have a problem with the fact that if you install it with the guide system it comes with (as I did), there is a strip unprotected between the appliquƩ and the bumper's edge. Because of this, I still avoid placing anything on the bumper. I am in a band and used to set instrument cases on the bumper of our Durango before sliding them in the back. No, I don't want the Durango back. The after-market protector mentioned above appears to extend to the bumper's edge and it's additional thickness would work better for my purposes. Considering what it consists of, the Ford protector also seems a little pricey but what's done is done.

Ā 

Ā 

I cheat, I noticed that also. I have the Ford Cargo Mat and still put an old blanket down under Josie's Kennel and leave some to roll out over the bumper just for that reason. Hell I probably don't even need that Bumper Protector since I do this, but then again I may not need the cargo mat either. I also have towels over the all weather floor mats! Come to think of it maybe I need therapy for my Obsessive Clean Disorder.

I cheat, I noticed that also. I have the Ford Cargo Mat and still put an old blanket down under Josie's Kennel and leave some to roll out over the bumper just for that reason. Hell I probably don't even need that Bumper Protector since I do this, but then again I may not need the cargo mat either. I also have towels over the all weather floor mats! Come to think of it maybe I need therapy for my Obsessive Clean Disorder.

Ā 

Hey, whatever works. Now that you mention it, I don't need one, either. I am curious what you think of the Ford Cargo Mat. Recently, someone said that they were happy with their floor mats but the Cargo Mat was a little flimsy. On the plus side, it is supposed to fit well. What do you think?

Hey, whatever works. Now that you mention it, I don't need one, either. I am curious what you think of the Ford Cargo Mat. Recently, someone said that they were happy with their floor mats but the Cargo Mat was a little flimsy. On the plus side, it is supposed to fit well. What do you think?

Ā 

Ā 

The Cargo mat fits perfect and does exactly what it is supposed to do. It protects your carpet quite well. It may be a bit thin, but I believe it is tough enough to NOT Puncture. If you work at it, I am certain you could puncture it, but during normal use it should be fine. I have had Husky Liners before and they are thin also but quite durable.

Ā 

The Cargo Mat from Ford has a Nice lip around it to hold spills also, I don't haul much of anything in my Edge other than people the dog and Luggage. I am fortunate to have my sons Toyota Truck if I need to haul anything I don't want in my Edge.

Ā 

I am a Clean Fanatic! I sell asphalt plants and components and can get pretty dirty at times, so I keep towels and such available so as not to ruin my interior. Now if I can just keep my wife from banging around her purse with those buckles and $hit hitting the plastic inside the car I will be in Great shape.

The Cargo mat fits perfect and does exactly what it is supposed to do. It protects your carpet quite well. It may be a bit thin, but I believe it is tough enough to NOT Puncture. If you work at it, I am certain you could puncture it, but during normal use it should be fine. I have had Husky Liners before and they are thin also but quite durable.

Ā 

The Cargo Mat from Ford has a Nice lip around it to hold spills also, I don't haul much of anything in my Edge other than people the dog and Luggage. I am fortunate to have my sons Toyota Truck if I need to haul anything I don't want in my Edge.

Ā 

I am a Clean Fanatic! I sell asphalt plants and components and can get pretty dirty at times, so I keep towels and such available so as not to ruin my interior. Now if I can just keep my wife from banging around her purse with those buckles and $hit hitting the plastic inside the car I will be in Great shape.

Ā 

Thanks for your input. Those who have them seem happy with the Ford floor mats and I think I'll go with them and the OEM cargo liner. I like dealing with the local parts department unless their prices are totally out of line. When I picked up the bumper protector that they'd special ordered for me I was taken aback at how thin the package was and probably would have declined the thing if it had been an in-stock item.

Ā 

Your cleanliness fetish wouldn't work here in West Texas, particularly in the Spring when we have dust storms. My biggest complaint this time of year is dead grass which sticks to plastic due to static electricity from our low humidity. Of course, in the overall scheme of things, stuff like this is of little consequence, so I think I'll quit griping. Take care and thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...
I found a great product for the Edge and MKX rear bumper. This item is called a Bumper Saver. It is made of a black rubberized compound, looks like the bumper pad found on a Explorer, is easy to install and only cost me $29.95. This item is so nice that I am considering distributing the item. If anyone is interested shoot me an email and I will forward a photo. If you are interested please call my office (914) 633-1550 and ask for Josephine.

Ā 

Ā 

I just got mine in the mail and it is hella nice quality... super nice clean look, THICK rubber... I would recommend just based on that. not fit it to the car yet so not sure of fit quality, but initial impression is I would recommend it highly.

What is the best place and best price that everyone has come up with for the OEM Edge bumper protector with the 'Edge' embossed on it? I am ready to order one, but hopefully you can help me find the best price and website. Thanks.

Ā 

Ā 

likely the dealer...

Ā 

BUT, have you read here (and other places on the web) that people are pretty nonplussed by the OEM version. it has the 'cool' EDGE name yes, but seems to be very flimsy and thin... and people are not diggin it as it needs to protect as well as look good.

I found a great product for the Edge and MKX rear bumper. This item is called a Bumper Saver. It is made of a black rubberized compound, looks like the bumper pad found on a Explorer, is easy to install and only cost me $29.95. This item is so nice that I am considering distributing the item. If anyone is interested shoot me an email and I will forward a photo. If you are interested please call my office (914) 633-1550 and ask for Josephine.

Ā 

Thanks for the link to view the "Bumper Saver", appear to me that it does nothing to protect the angle below the top edge of the bumper, this is the area that gets scratched up, not the top of the bumper.

I'll keep looking...........

Capnken

Thanks for the link to view the "Bumper Saver", appear to me that it does nothing to protect the angle below the top edge of the bumper, this is the area that gets scratched up, not the top of the bumper.

I'll keep looking...........

Capnken

Ā 

Ā 

PS: I called the phone number you have shown and was advised the area code is now 239, maybe you should consider changing it.

I just ordered and installed one of these pads from ASL. Great product and installs easily in 5 minutes. What I like most about it is that the pad is flexible enough to mount along the profile of the bumper to protect the edge and is thick enough to protect the bumper.

Edited by pennstatefan111

I just ordered and installed one of these pads from ASL. Great product and installs easily in 5 minutes. What I like most about it is that the pad is flexible enough to mount along the profile of the bumper to protect the edge and is thick enough to protect the bumper.

Ā 

can u post a photo of your install?

Ā 

see my gallery to see mine installed

Edited by Lex Talionis

Thanks for the info...

Ā 

How much did you pay for the bumper cover?

Ā 

Jim

Ā 

Ā 

jim post #42 right above has the price and the phone number to call to order - mine was $38 shipped from them and the quality and thickness is very nice. all accounts it is much nicer - and mo cheaper - than the Ford version.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I bought one and received it a week later. I just put it on my edge and i think it looks great! I like it better than the Ford one because it is thicker and looks more rugged (im not sure thats the word i mean to use, but its not coming to mind). The ford product simply looks like a thin decal that wouldnt offer as much protection. To each his own though. You cant go wrong either way, though my preference is obvious.

Ā 

post-1115-1192580261_thumb.jpg

post-1115-1192580241_thumb.jpg

Thank You For Posting the PIC! Is that the White Tri-Color for the 2008? I am in the process of finalizing the purchase of mine. It is difficult as I am trying to go by memory from a ride I took in September when I was in the states. Do you have any other accessories on the exterior of the vehicle such as the bug & window deflector or splash guards?

Faith Always...IRAQEDGE

Do you have any other accessories on the exterior of the vehicle such as the bug & window deflector or splash guards?

Faith Always...IRAQEDGE

Ā 

I am not sure if you are asking if this person has those accessories or if those accessories are available... if you are asking the latter, splash guards (Ford), bug deflector (Ford) and window deflectors (saw on eBay) are all available.

• 3 weeks later...

tspat wrote.....I found a great product for the Edge and MKX rear bumper. This item is called a Bumper Saver. It is made of a black rubberized compound, looks like the bumper pad found on a Explorer, is easy to install and only cost me $29.95. This item is so nice that I am considering distributing the item. If anyone is interested shoot me an email and I will forward a photo. If you are interested please call my office (914) 633-1550 and ask for Josephine.

Ā 

I also installed one of the above mentioned bumper saver. Only negative is Josephine charged me $34.95. If tspat has changed his price he hasn't posted it anywhere I see plus the flyer included with the saver states price as $29.95. Shipping in my case was ~ $9.

Ā 

A couple of tips.

Ā 

Terms used to describe the sides of the saver...Right & Left...Top & Bottom...Front & Rear

Ā 

1...Let the rubberize material set in the sun to warm, makes it more plyable thus allowing it to bend a bit to fit the curvature of the bumper exactly.

Ā 

2...Figuring out where you want the saver to lie...right to left, just center it. Forward or back is owners preference. I placed mine 1/8" forward of the angle in the bumper so not to leave a lip for something to catch on. This alignment is critical because this is what you'll see so keep it the same the entire width of the bumper.

Ā 

3...After I determined where I wanted it I traced around the ends with a #2 pencil so I knew where to align the saver.

Ā 

4...If possible, ask someone to help you hold the saver up as you begin to stick it down.

Ā 

5...Next, look at the width of the adhesive tape & apply the liquid adhesive activator in the little tubes to the top of the bumper wherever the tape will lay.

Ā 

Word of caution....the adhesive is strong so make sure you get it right the first time, if you have to pull it off, go very slowly

Ā 

6...the side of the saver most important to stick 1st is the rear edge. From the REAR SIDE ONLY, peel back ~ 6" of tape from one end. With your buddy holding the saver above the bumper, very carefully align the end of saver with the pencil marks & the bumper edge. After you get this set, then slowly peel more tape back & carefully lay the saver along the bumper line you established earlier.

Ā 

7...after you get the rear side stuck down, then slowly peel the forward tape off & stick the saver down.

I did mine a bit different with great success...

Ā 

I marked the bumper (center and each left/right end) using blue painters tape so I could peel off.

Ā 

I put the glue - of which it seemed was a little sparse in retrospect, I thought there would be more from each tube - on the actual sticky tape versus the bumper so it was only in contact with the exact area it would be glued to.

Ā 

I mounted mine left to right not front to back. That is, I cut the tape down the center and peeled off the left side and placed it and then pulled off the right side and laid it down.

Ā 

I found that the curve on the saver is not a 100% match to the curve of the bumper if you just laid it out and eve-balled it, so it was nice to put down one side and then kind of pull in the other side to get the perfect matching curve.

Ā 

either way, they are an awesome product.