Normal MPG?

Kitulu

Three months ago, I bought a 2008 Edge. A few days ago, we took our first long trip from Tennessee to Florida. We ran 75-80 MPH most of the way, except for around Nashville, Atlanta, and Jacksonville, where the speed limit dropped to 55-65. I averaged 22mpg for the trip. Is this normal?

Stats:

2008 Ford Edge Limited /w 83000m on the clock

20" chrome-clad wheels /w Pirelli Scorpions

Vista Roof

Normal Tire Pressures

No intake or exhaust mods, no tuning

Pax and luggage:

Myself (190lbs) and wife (90lbs)

Suitcase (80lbs)

Various odds and ends (maybe 30 pounds)

Using the cruise control doesn't always mean better gas millage. If you are going up or downhills, its better to lay off the gas and get up the hill with a light foot even if it means slowing down a bit. Those few hills wont change your ETA that much and you will save on gas. While going downhill, just coast. I normally use cruise control on on flatter/more consistent roads.

It does seem like you should have gotten a bit better gas millage though.

Haven't had my 13 sel on a trip yet. I've only clocked 2500 miles. I quit messing with the #2 trip at about 900 miles. For the past 1600 miles I've averaged 24.7 mpg I'm not pleased but knew what the mpg was claimed when I bought it 19/27. Drive county roads and two lane highways. Haven't ran more than a 100 miles at one time. Plan on taking a run to Pensacola, Fl. this fall. ( Oct. ) About 950 miles one way. Probably with the running around there , will put on close to 2500/2600 miles. See what it averages then. I've added window air deflectors and removed the front plate holder since this pic. Also had mud guards but removed them

Larry

Northern,In

about 15 miles south of the Michigan state line

post-26092-0-85807100-1372853813_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I was used to getting between 27mpg and 30mpg with my old Intrepid...I figured that the Edge would get a little less, but not 20-22mpg. I am not that worried about it now, especially since I usually use my bike to go to work during the week, and that gets 50mpg easy.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

After driving my 08 Edge over 220K miles I have never hit 23 miles per gallon usually around 21 and maybe 22mpg. I would say it is normal. Unfortunately the Manufacturers live in a different world when it comes to actual gas mileage. One day maybe they will all be honest about it. More Political than anything else.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We have a 2008 Limited with FWD and just over 100K miles. I can almost guarantee 21.7 on every tank. I drive a lot of highway miles for business and frequently see 24 and occasionally 26 mpg. I fitted a trailer hitch and last summer, at 108 degrees, we pulled a "heavier than I should have" trailer for 500 miles at 70 mph and never got below 18 mpg. I was expecting much less. I wont be doing that again but the performance was confidence inspiring. Tail winds are a bonus, considering it weighs more than 4400 lbs, closer to 5000 when I travel with my equipment. Cruise control and XM radio are my long distance necessities.

After driving my 08 Edge over 220K miles I have never hit 23 miles per gallon usually around 21 and maybe 22mpg. I would say it is normal. Unfortunately the Manufacturers live in a different world when it comes to actual gas mileage. One day maybe they will all be honest about it. More Political than anything else.

Not really sure what you're referring to. The 2008 Edge is rated 18 mpg combined with AWD, 19 without. So if you're averaging 21 or 22, you're doing better than par for the course.

I average around 21 in my '11 Sport, which is also above the 19 mpg combined that is advertised for it.

I've got a limited awd, and the wife and i have been making frequent trips from Sacramento to reno. we bought it with 99,000 miles, and I seem to only be averaging 16. Any tips on how to up this?

Use quality fuel, keep the tires inflated properly, avoid high throttle tip-in when possible. Probably the 3 biggest ones. A lot of people tend to ignore the first one, but saving a few cents a gallon buying the bargain brand usually doesn't end up being a bargain at all.

• Like 1

From my personal experience, 1) change the spark plugs and 2) run a few bottles of Techron through the gas tank. A BG-type fuel/air system cleaning would be great, but Techron is pretty good as an OTC/self-help product. Also make sure your brakes are not dragging by checking left vs. right wheel temps (on the same axle) after a significant amount of driving.

More involved work would be to 1) change out the transmission fluid, 2) change out the PTU fluid (probably thick and gunky by now), and 3) change out the RDU fluid. If you are a handy mechanic, you can do this yourself, but probably less of a headache having a trusted shop do it for you.

Oh, reset the mpg display if you are still using what you got from the time you bought it. Hard to overcome 99K miles worth of mpg data so easily!

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

Standard SP411 i think Motorcraft plugs. No need to get fancy. could upgrade to iridium plugs, that's about it, but no efficiency gains, just longevity supposedly.

Aftermarket Intakes & Exhaust mods can help produce a bit more power, but Ford's OEM design is very very good. If you want to see a difference, you should add a tune to the intake/exhaust mods. Even if you don't change any parts, a tune would get you more power or more efficiency, depending on what you want. I would backburner all these mods until your mpg issue is figured out.

• 3 weeks later...