Costs of Repairing MFT as Vehicle Ages

As I recall, Ford has extended the warranty to 4 years on the expensive part of repairing the MFT unit on our 2012 Limited Edge with NAV. Wonder what else can go wrong with MFT that's expensive to repair?

I can afford to repair the car, that's not my concern. I'm mainly concerned with overall cost of ownership over a 5-6 year period. I'm usually a cash buyer, but leased this one (27 month lease) for 12,000 miles per year after $5000 down, and left the money invested. Investment results on money not spent on this car will almost buy it out of lease. So....in some convoluted way, you might say this car has been mighty cheap to drive. Lease expires in March 2014, and I can buy it for $23,800 and it will have about 24,000 miles on it. So my options are buy it, and drive it a while. Buy it and immediately sell it. Or use the equity built up (if any) and get something else from dealership. And this vehicle looks same as when I drove it home from dealership....garage kept, retiree owned, etc. Perfect condition.

I'm inclined to just buy it and drive it a while, it's such a nice vehicle. Just have no confidence in MFT, although my problems with it are mostly just annoying. I understand the system (am not one of those seniors who are confused with tech) . Just wondering what can go wrong with MFT and what it might cost to fix when vehicle is 5-6 years old. I'm not inclined to buy an extended warranty.....unless it is about $1000 or less. Some of you may have same concern.

Edited by RJG

Your Edge has over 20 different electronic modules in it, the MFT really is only 3 or 4 of those. Why are you worried about the 3 or 4 MFT boxes and not the other 16? Don't confuse software glitches with long-term hardware reliability.

And as akirby said, electronic hardware issues are discovered very quickly. A partially soldered joint won't last 100,000 miles and then fail, it will fail within the first 5000 miles.

• Like 1

The way that car electronics are going, aftermarket radios and nav systems will make you want to change your MFT here in a few years.

I have a 2008 and was impressed with Sync when it originally came out. Today that Sync is pretty outdated (and is no longer being updated/supported by Ford), and I can buy a much better radio from the aftermarket for not really all that much $$.