Can I roll-back 3.6.2 to 3.5?

Since installing 3.6.2 my MFT (or Sync) system reboots continually when trying to read the USB drive that holds all of my music. The install is reported to Ford as having been successful, and aside from this major issue, everything else seems to be working fine.

Is it possible for me to roll back to 3.5? Or to wipe the whole thing and re-install 3.6.2?

I've been through the master and hard reset drills a few times and with no luck in resolving the issue.

Thoughts?

Edited by JimM

The drive is exFAT -

It's important to remember that this drive worked flawlessly prior to the upgrade. It was only after the 3.6.2 upgrade that things went south.

I have an appointment with the dealer on the 19th, but was hoping to get this resolved on my own prior to that date.

Thanks for the comments and ideas . . . . keep 'em coming.

-

Jim

Try fat32. The new version might not be compatible with exfat.

I think you are missing what I was saying. The same drive worked fine with 3.2, now terrible with 3.5 with constant indexing, not being detected etc. But the OP had a different experience with 3.5; he had no issues with 3.5 and now does with 3.6.2 with the same drive. So exFat worked for him on 3.5 but not for me, so I think this is an MFT issue not an issue with the format of the drive.

In Windows 7, formatting a 64GB USB drive with FAT32 is not an option (in fact, FAT32 tops out at 32GB). It's a choice between NTFS or exFAT.

Again, this worked perfectly with the previous software version.

Edited by JimM

In Windows 7, formatting a 64GB USB drive with FAT32 is not an option (in fact, FAT32 tops out at 32GB). It's a choice between NTFS or exFAT.

Again, this worked perfectly with the previous software version.

Interesting... The world is going one direction- BIGGER- & Ford may not be moving fast enough...

Question - But a Back up HD like the WD or Seagate's can be formatted in FAT 32- the 500GB, 1TB or 2TB types?

Edited by drpepper

I think you are missing what I was saying. The same drive worked fine with 3.2, now terrible with 3.5 with constant indexing, not being detected etc. But the OP had a different experience with 3.5; he had no issues with 3.5 and now does with 3.6.2 with the same drive. So exFat worked for him on 3.5 but not for me, so I think this is an MFT issue not an issue with the format of the drive.

I thought this was the problem downloading the update - got it confused with a similar exfat post on another forum.

Could be a combination of the filesystem driver and what's actually on the filesystem and where - if that's the case changing either one could cause problems randomly. My point was if you can reproduce it with Fat32 then you can take that out of the equation.

The drive is exFAT -

It's important to remember that this drive worked flawlessly prior to the upgrade. It was only after the 3.6.2 upgrade that things went south.

I have an appointment with the dealer on the 19th, but was hoping to get this resolved on my own prior to that date.

Thanks for the comments and ideas . . . . keep 'em coming.

-

Jim

Jim,

I am running an 8GB Patriot drive using FAT32. So far, I have done 3.5.1 and 3.6.2 with no issues on either. Plus, this drive is dedicated only to Sync/MFT updates. I also have a 120 GB HD formatted with exFAT that works without problem.

Edited by PrinzII

• 1 month later...

Jim,

I am running an 8GB Patriot drive using FAT32. So far, I have done 3.5.1 and 3.6.2 with no issues on either. Plus, this drive is dedicated only to Sync/MFT updates. I also have a 120 GB HD formatted with exFAT that works without problem.

Guess what I am also having problems after the last update and never had problems before, and the sad thing is it is with a Microsoft Zune, and not just one player but 4!!!! I can assure you it is the car's software and not the MP3 players because they work flawlessly in my other vehicles and did in the Edge until the last update.

Edited by ccutaia1

Cool Thanks Akirby.

For those hitting the FAT32 limit of 4 GB you can buy the same software tool I used several years ago called "CompuApps SwissKnife". I used it to reformat my 300GB external drive so PS3 could backup to it. Since then Playstation puts the important stuff in the cloud so I then used it to reformat it back to NTFS. It costs like under 20 bucks and worked great for me.

***DISCLAMER*** I'm not 100% sure how CompuApps got around the limit, probably using extensions to the FAT32 architecture so I can't say for sure if MFT would still recognize your drive but my playstation and several laptops had no problems reading from the 300 GB drive as FAT 32.

Edited by OnTheFence

The only 4GB limit in FAT32 is individual file size - not volume size. In theory, you can create an 8TB volume using FAT32 but in practice the limit is more like 2TB for a variety of reasons. There is a 32GB limit for creating volumes using the graphical tools in Windows XP and Windows 7 (Windows Explorer/My Computer). However, you can format much larger volumes using the command line (format /FS:FAT32 X:) or any one of dozens of free tools available for download.

So paying $10 for CompuApps Swissknife Premium just to format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32 is completely unnecessary. There are several disk partitioning programs that are free for home use. My personal favorite is AOMEI Partition Assistant Home Edition (www.disk-partition.com) because of the flexibility it offers and the way it can manipulate existing partitions without losing data.

Edited by TheWizard