just installed my TRS HID kit and wanted to get everyones thoughts on the beam pattern i am getting.

does this beam pattern right for a HID kit or have i done something incorrect? i haven't tried driving at night yet to see the pattern on the road ahead, but wanted to ask everyone here while i waited for dark.

thanks everyone.

IMG_7854a.jpg

I actually need to align my headlights. My driver's side pattern is a bit high. Thanks for the tip Edgieguy! I did a quick search on the site on how to do this, because it was the first time I heard of it, and found this thread. Check it out:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/6077-2011-hid-vertical-adjuster/

Going to do get this done this afternoon or tonight!

• Like 1

Why the need to adjust? The projector beam pattern shouldn't have changed from halogen to HID (assuming you didn't bump anything).

Cellbine, granted you have a completely new lens assembly, so you get a pass :)

Gabe, your pattern looks OK. Taking a beam pattern from that close to a wall will make it look like yours. If you back away a bit and take a look, the cut-off lines should be more pronounced and even.

Ultimately, you have to keep in mind that we are using halogen projectors with HIDs, so the beam pattern will vary from the OEM HID projectors.

Which size kit did you install? 9005 or 9006?

• 4 weeks later...

The key is to have the return wire facing towards the lower half of the reflector. The return wire shadow will appear in reverse when shining out of the lamp. So if the wire is at the bottom left of the reflector it will show up on the upper right area outside of the lamp.

Edited by kc300c

• 1 month later...

I have a question along this topic...I just installed a HID kit with no issues but my light pattern is crossing about 5 feet in front of the Edge and aiming to the side of the road? The bulbs are firm and appear installed correctly. I have read in the manual the headlights can't be adjusted horizontal.

2011 Edge SEL

Where are you located, and can you post a pic of what you are seeing? From what I remember, at least in the EU, headlights aren't aimed directly ahead. If you are in a country where you drive on the left, headlights are aimed slightly to the left, and vice versa. This is done to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Has your Edge ever been in a collision, or have the housings been replaced? Those would be the most likely causes of improperly aimed headlights.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Your bulbs are now seated correctly, but the RH bulb needs to be rotated at least a quarter turn to eliminate the return wire shadow you're seeing. The return wire running along the side of the HID bulb must be pointing to the lower half of the headlight so the shadow does not appear when the low beams are on. (light is reflected like a mirror In relation to the bulb)

I got the return wire in the correct position and I have also changed the bulbs around and the issue is with the one bulb. I ordered from Retro Solutions, my 2nd kit from them. My first was on a 2007 Edge and I had zero problems or issues. I have sent them this same picture and information.

a4jOSoth.jpg

guys, one silly question - is there an OEM Xenon light setup available? I see that HID conversion is quite popular on this forum (and I cant say I dont know why - lights in EDGE are poor, especially when it's raining) - I was wondering why doesnt Ford sell these as standard in Limited or Sport version?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...