2011 HID Vertical Adjuster

For those of you with a 2011 Edge (or MKX I guess) with HIDs, I would like some assistance / clarification.

I looked and looked and looked and cannot seem to find what the Owner's Guide calls the Headlamp Vertical Adjuster. The diagram is confusing at best. :banghead:

On pages 73-74 of the 2nd version of the manual, there's a how-to description to vertically adjust both halogens and HIDs. All that's good, then there's a diagram to help locate the screw to turn for the adjustment. It's not stated which type of headlamp the diagram represents. I would assume the lamps and surrounding parts are slightly different.

Has anyone with HIDs actually located this screw? Has anyone tried? Can you explain exactly where it is? Even better, can you supply a picture? Wonderful! Thanks in advance. :victory:

post-10232-030380100 1290623917_thumb.jpg

For those of you with a 2011 Edge (or MKX I guess) with HIDs, I would like some assistance / clarification.

I looked and looked and looked and cannot seem to find what the Owner's Guide calls the Headlamp Vertical Adjuster. The diagram is confusing at best. :banghead:

On pages 73-74 of the 2nd version of the manual, there's a how-to description to vertically adjust both halogens and HIDs. All that's good, then there's a diagram to help locate the screw to turn for the adjustment. It's not stated which type of headlamp the diagram represents. I would assume the lamps and surrounding parts are slightly different.

Has anyone with HIDs actually located this screw? Has anyone tried? Can you explain exactly where it is? Even better, can you supply a picture? Wonderful! Thanks in advance. :victory:

Hi revO. :D What I can tell you is this: In the diagram, the perspective is with the hood open you are standing in front of the drivers side headlight looking down at the top of the housing.

So, stand in front of your drivers side headlight housing looking directly down at the top. Then use the diagram to locate the bolts and electrical connectors in the vicinity of the adjustment screw on top of the housing in the diagram. If you do that, you should be able to locate the adjustment screw (at least, that is how I did it).

Additionally, the diagram represent both types of housings (Halogen and HID), since the adjustment screw (and most of the other external features of the housings) is identical on both. Differences are mainly limited to internal components (optics and any other necessary component changes).

Hope this information helps. If not, hopefully someone can provide a picture of their headlight housing that may assist you better.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 months later...

I too have had real difficulty locating this adjuster. I live in the uk and since taking delivery of my edge with hid lamps, I get flashed daily when driving with the headlights on, so I would love to be able to figure out where this adjustment screw is located. The only thing I can remotely see is an Allen head screw that appears to be at the rear of the headlamp assembly.

Ok, turns out the Allen head bolt is indeed how the HID lamps are adjusted, the manual states to use a #2 Phillips screwdriver, so that's obviously wrong, I used the correct Allen wrench and the headlights adjust easily, and have a pretty good range of up and down. Will try to post a picture today.

• Like 1

Ok, turns out the Allen head bolt is indeed how the HID lamps are adjusted, the manual states to use a #2 Phillips screwdriver, so that's obviously wrong, I used the correct Allen wrench and the headlights adjust easily, and have a pretty good range of up and down. Will try to post a picture today.

It's not wrong - inside the hex opening is a phillips head screw.

Glad I saw this thread! My dealer had to replace the passenger side complete HID housing as it was scratched up pretty bad upon delivery. After they installed the new casing, i drove somewhere to see if they were lined up equally and the new light was slightly higher than the drivers side after doing a compare against the wall.

The dealer said these lights do not have an vertical adjuster when I asked about it. So, by turning this screw, I can actually lower or raise the HID beam so they are once again at equal level right?

Thanks!!

Edited by Dreamss

I do not have my LTD yet, but it will be getting the HIDs. From what I have read so far, the adjustment bolt should have both the Allen and the Philllips. Please reference the link below from akirby, open up to page 73 on the 3rd ed. for light alignment with attention to the HID note.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&MARKET_LANG=US-EN&YEAR=2011&VEHICLE=Edge

If that all works out, shame on your dealer :finger:

• 3 years later...

Someone named Paul messaged me about this post, who's shipping his 2012 Edge Sport to the UK, sorry but this site won't allow me to respond to you directly because I don't have at least 5 posts. But I can tell you that you will have no trouble with passing the MOT for your Edge. The garages around the base where I was stationed are well versed in handling all types of American cars, there are only minor mods they will do to your lights. If I get enough posts I will try emailing you direct. Good luck and enjoy your Edge in England!

• 8 months later...

Thinks for all the info' I just switch to hid lights and I'm very happy with the results.. I will need to adjust my passenger side cause it is a tab higher and I send the extra $10.00 for the error cancelling caps... Everthing works great I brought the real hid's conversion kit that is German maid...

Thinks for all the info' I just switch to hid lights and I'm very happy with the results.. I will need to adjust my passenger side cause it is a tab higher and I send the extra $10.00 for the error cancelling caps... Everthing works great I brought the real hid's conversion kit that is German maid...

I believe the passenger side is factory set to be higher than the driver's side. The driver's side is lower to prevent blinding on coming traffic such as on a two lane road. The passenger side is a bit higher to give additional light to the right side of the road and where it won't cause glare into oncoming cars.

My 2013 Limited with the HID factory lights is set up this way as were any other car I've owned, HID's or not.