spare key

Just bought a new 2014 Ford Edge Limited. I have the intelligent access key system.

I do a lot of traveling and don't wish to carry my second intelligent key with me all the time .

QUESTION...can I program a 80 bit transponder key from my intelligent key? This way I could keep the transponder key hidden inside the car in case I lost my intelligent key. I could then start the car by putting the transponder key in the pocket in the console and I could drive home. I could unlock the doors with the key pad on the door.

Thank you

I think you can leave a programmed FOB in the vehicle and use the other FOB (or the keypad) to lock and unlock the vehicle. I think that should let you unlock the vehicle with the keypad (and no other fob) and use the fob in the vehicle to start it if you lose the regular fob. You'd have to test it though to be safe - the manual may not be 100% accurate.

I don't know if a regular transponder key will work or if you'll need an IA fob.

Edited by akirby

I hide my IA key in my Edge and never have to carry a key or fob with me. I have to use the keypad to lock the doors when leaving and also to unlock the car upon my return. Since the IA key is inside the car, it doesn't unlock the door by just touching the handle as if I actually had the IA key with me outside the car. I also can't open the rear hatch remotely without first unlocking the car using the key pad.

If someone were to break into the car to steal it knowing the IA key was hidden inside, they would not be able to start the vehicle just by pushing the start button with their foot on the brake. The anti-theft measures built into the car prevent the IA key from starting the vehicle once the doors have been opened UNLESS the correct code had been entered into the keypad to open the door! Some how the system knows the IA key was inside the vehicle when the door was opened, and it determines if the door was opened using the code or not.

If you leave the key inside, and try to lock the doors using just the lock button when you leave the car, the horn will beep and the doors will not lock. You have to use the keypad to lock it.

I love not having to carry a large or bulky key fob with me now, knowing I can leave the IA key inside the vehicle. I have owned the Edge since July of 2012 and have left the key in it the whole time. Never any problem.

• Like 2

I hide my IA key in my Edge and never have to carry a key or fob with me. I have to use the keypad to lock the doors when leaving and also to unlock the car upon my return. Since the IA key is inside the car, it doesn't unlock the door by just touching the handle as if I actually had the IA key with me outside the car. I also can't open the rear hatch remotely without first unlocking the car using the key pad.

If someone were to break into the car to steal it knowing the IA key was hidden inside, they would not be able to start the vehicle just by pushing the start button with their foot on the brake. The anti-theft measures built into the car prevent the IA key from starting the vehicle once the doors have been opened UNLESS the correct code had been entered into the keypad to open the door! Some how the system knows the IA key was inside the vehicle when the door was opened, and it determines if the door was opened using the code or not.

If you leave the key inside, and try to lock the doors using just the lock button when you leave the car, the horn will beep and the doors will not lock. You have to use the keypad to lock it.

I love not having to carry a large or bulky key fob with me now, knowing I can leave the IA key inside the vehicle. I have owned the Edge since July of 2012 and have left the key in it the whole time. Never any problem.

What is a lA key????

Intelligent Access Key. It allows you to use the Start button inside the car without having to insert a key into the steering column or on the dash, where ever an ignition switch would have been placed.

It also allows you to walk up to the car with the "key" in your pocket, touch the door handle, and have it unlock with no use of a key. The IA key is actually an electronic FOB and doesn't really even have a key such as a normal FOB.

The rear hatch is opened or closed using the FOB also.

It was an option on the Limited and perhaps some of the other trim levels also.

Why would I or anyone leave a key in the ignition? :headscratch: That would serve no useful purpose other than allowing someone to see the key and perhaps steal the car. I don't think the regular key has the advanced electronics that would prevent starting the car if someone were to break in like the IA key does.

The main purpose of the IA system for my use is the fact I don't have to carry a key or a fob in my pocket when leaving the vehicle. No chance of losing it. I also really like the push button start feature and again don't have to fumble with a key or key-ring.

I'll say it once again. I have been using the key pad for the last 19 months and have never had a problem, or thought, gee, I'm not taking advantage of the automatic unlocking by just touching the door handle. That feature is not a priority to me as much as the convenience of not having a key ring or key and fob to worry about.

• Like 1

ls973800, on 11 Feb 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Your only problem would be if the intruder finds the hidden IA key & presses the unlock button. The car would then disable the Alarm & will start by pressing the start button (while holding the brakes).

Your only problem would be if the intruder finds the hidden IA key & presses the unlock button. The car would then disable the Alarm & will start by pressing the start button (while holding the brakes).

That won't work. When you lock the door with the keypad and a fob inside it totally disables the fob until you unlock it with the keypad or the other key. At least that's the way it was advertised - I haven't tried it myself.

Why would I or anyone leave a key in the ignition? :headscratch: That would serve no useful purpose other than allowing someone to see the key and perhaps steal the car. I don't think the regular key has the advanced electronics that would prevent starting the car if someone were to break in like the IA key does.

The main purpose of the IA system for my use is the fact I don't have to carry a key or a fob in my pocket when leaving the vehicle. No chance of losing it. I also really like the push button start feature and again don't have to fumble with a key or key-ring.

I'll say it once again. I have been using the key pad for the last 19 months and have never had a problem, or thought, gee, I'm not taking advantage of the automatic unlocking by just touching the door handle. That feature is not a priority to me as much as the convenience of not having a key ring or key and fob to worry about.

Like I said - if you don't mind using the keypad every time you get in or out of the car - it's not a problem. It's not wrong or bad but most people would prefer to keep the key in their pocket or purse and use the touch sensors to lock and unlock the vehicle. I put the key in my pocket in the morning and take it out at night and never touch it other than to unlock my office door at work.

that would not work because to program a transponder key you have to insert an unprogrammed key in the ignition switch which a push to start car does not have

You program the IA keys by inserting the fob in the emergency slot in the console. IF (big IF) the transponder was the same in the regular key and the IA key (which it probably isn't) then theoretically you could put the regular key in the same slot and it would work.

This way I could keep the transponder key hidden inside the car in case I lost my intelligent key. I could then start the car by putting the transponder key in the pocket in the console and I could drive home. I could unlock the doors with the key pad on the door.

Thank you

Hello Tom2,

Congrats on your new Edge! I'd love to see a pic. I've spoken to my technical advisor, and he has informed me if you wish to leave a fob in the vehicle, you would then would be able to lock and unlock the doors with the key pad.

Let me know if you have questions.

Todd

Ok, I did some testing today. Sitting inside the MKX, leaving the driver's window open & locking it using the keypad, while the IA key/fob is with me inside:

1. Pressing the brake pedal & pushing the start button; engine does not start, get a "no key found" message.
  2. Opening the door (with unlocking it using the fob or keypad); get a message to start car or alarm will go off.
  3. Pressing the brake & start button, nothing, alarm will still go off.

All ok, BUT, pressing the unlock on the IA key/fob, the same one that is inside the car that will not start the engine, will unlock the door & then I can start the engine.

Also, opening the door & setting the alarm (car starts honking), pressing the unlock button will unlock the door & disable the alarm. Engine can start.

So, as I guessed earlier, if an intruder finds your IA key hidden inside the car, he can disable the alarm & takeoff with car. But if the IA key is hidden, the alarm will not be disabled, & the engine cannot be started. So, for those who keep their IA key inside, make sure it is well hidden.

OK, 1 more test. I removed the battery from the IA key, so the unlock button did not work & the Alarm could not be disabled using it.

Having the IA key (without battery) in the backup slot will still enable you to start the engine but only if you unlocked the car using the keypad or another IA key. So for those who really want to keep an IA key in the car at all times, this might be a safer way than keeping a fully functional IA key that can disable the alarm.

• Like 1