2011 SEL Rear Window Shattered/Exploded

i walked out of my office yesterday to go home and i find what is shown in the pictures. no one knows anything or saw anything from all my coworkers i talked to. there was glass on the ground, the bumper lip, and inside the trunk area as well. i immediately went to the dealership and was told someone or something had to have done that but there was nothing around where i was parked and nothing inside by way of a rock, etc. the entire remaining glass is all spidered and looking closely at the edges of the glass, it is jagged all around. at certain angles, it looks to have been blown outward not inward. what could have caused this? i know of Escapes and F150's with rear windows exploding but neither the dealership nor Ford Customer Service know of anything related to Edges. google has turned up really nothing regarding Edges and the rear window glass so i'm at a loss.

post-29346-0-07081900-1392913512_thumb.jpg

post-29346-0-70296200-1392913528_thumb.jpg

post-29346-0-63516200-1392913549_thumb.jpg

i walked out of my office yesterday to go home and i find what is shown in the pictures. no one knows anything or saw anything from all my coworkers i talked to. there was glass on the ground, the bumper lip, and inside the trunk area as well. i immediately went to the dealership and was told someone or something had to have done that but there was nothing around where i was parked and nothing inside by way of a rock, etc. the entire remaining glass is all spidered and looking closely at the edges of the glass, it is jagged all around. at certain angles, it looks to have been blown outward not inward. what could have caused this? i know of Escapes and F150's with rear windows exploding but neither the dealership nor Ford Customer Service know of anything related to Edges. google has turned up really nothing regarding Edges and the rear window glass so i'm at a loss.

Hey Brian J Klos,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager; please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

The problem on the F150's (model year 2010 mostly I believe) is the rear defroster gets too hot on one of the rear window sections and blows it out. I have had two cars in the last 45 years that had the rear window blow out for no apparent reason. Both times was while driving and I wasn't near any bridges or other cars.

One was a convertible with the roof up and the other was a hardtop. I agree, I think it is just a defect in the glass during the manufacturing process which finally reaches a breaking point. We also had a half wall glass shower enclosure shatter one evening for no apparent reason. The shower hadn't been used for about 14 hours since the morning. Wife and I were sitting in the living room and heard a loud noise. Went into the bathroom and the glass was shattered as if it had been hit with something. I even looked at the ceiling to make sure a meteorite hadn't done the damage!

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1