FORD SYNC - Can we HACK this POS?

Seriously folks,

I love the SYNC idea, great...but let's be honest.

Why leave out the video capabilities?

Why not let me answer text messages WHILE I am driving?

Why not make this robust and useful???

Do these people think that ONLY THE DRIVER uses Navigation? Only the driver watches video? Only the driver can answer text messages?

So, its a computer. Can we get a full, working piece of software from Microsoft so that I can use it as such, and my passengers can get full media integration? Or must we live with this piecemeal, albeit, clever, piece of hardware and software.

Any thoughts?

G

Yeah, it's a computer, therefore it can and will be hacked.

However it's also M$ so I have no doubt they will make it the biggest pain in the butt to mod.

I dunno details but from what I understand they are working on updating the functionality.

Is it Unix/Linux or an M$ proprietary operating system? I expect it's fully proprietary.

We shall see (not if but how easily) it can be user-modified in short order I'm sure.

Pretty interesting stuff, to say the least. :shades:

Edited by scoopo

Yeah, it's a computer, therefore it can and will be hacked.

However it's also M$ so I have no doubt they will make it the biggest pain in the butt to mod.

I dunno details but from what I understand they are working on updating the functionality.

Is it Unix/Linux or an M$ proprietary operating system? I expect it's fully proprietary.

We shall see (not if but how easily) it can be user-modified in short order I'm sure.

Pretty interesting stuff, to say the least. :shades:

Well, I'll be first in line to try...hey Microsoft , look me up! LOL.

I'm a power user, and I want power functionality. At the very minimum, let me hook up my 3G enabled phone to the machine and use its web browser and video functionality on the big screen!

Well, I'll be first in line to try...hey Microsoft , look me up! LOL.

I'm a power user, and I want power functionality. At the very minimum, let me hook up my 3G enabled phone to the machine and use its web browser and video functionality on the big screen!

LOL. Like MSFT (or anyone else) will deliberately enable people to surf the web while in motion. Or use the nav.

Lawyers would have the suit ready to go. The moment a Sync equipped vehicle got into so much as a fender bender it'd be filed. You know it to be true.

Hell, they'd probably file a class-action suit before hand claiming the missing nag screen and mobile browsing threatens bunnies, puppies, unicorns AND rainbows.

I would LOVE to be able to play video from an iPod or Zune, or flash disk to the center stack and rear monitors. Being able to stream separate programs to front and rear displays would be sweet.

Ordering my 08 on Friday, weak ass brakes not withstanding. :-)

-Ian

• 1 month later...
Seriously folks,

I love the SYNC idea, great...but let's be honest.

Why leave out the video capabilities?

Why not let me answer text messages WHILE I am driving?

Why not make this robust and useful???

Do these people think that ONLY THE DRIVER uses Navigation? Only the driver watches video? Only the driver can answer text messages?

So, its a computer. Can we get a full, working piece of software from Microsoft so that I can use it as such, and my passengers can get full media integration? Or must we live with this piecemeal, albeit, clever, piece of hardware and software.

Any thoughts?

G

I totally feel what you are saying...

While driving down the road several weeks ago, on the way home (a 5 hour drive) my passenger attempted to type in a destination on GPS while we were riding....Guess what??? It would not let us look up POI/rest areas! I was looking a rest area..while riding...a much needed thing at times, Yes? And it would not let my passenger access POI....Sooooo...that kinda sucked! It would not let us access it due to the car being in motion. I, for one, do not want to pull over on the side of a BUSY interstate, in a 70 mph zone, to stop my vehicle to look for the next available rest area....

I do hope someone comes out with an upgrade of some sort to fix issues like this. I understand making things safe, but, sheeeesh.

Now, I did not try looking it up via voice activation.....I should have....but was too frustrated with the fact that my passenger could not "use" my navi system while I was busy driving...

sheesh

Edited by npggirl

I totally feel what you are saying...

While driving down the road several weeks ago, on the way home (a 5 hour drive) my passenger attempted to type in a destination on GPS while we were riding....Guess what??? It would not let us look up POI/rest areas! I was looking a rest area..while riding...a much needed thing at times, Yes? And it would not let my passenger access POI....Sooooo...that kinda sucked! It would not let us access it due to the car being in motion. I, for one, do not want to pull over on the side of a BUSY interstate, in a 70 mph zone, to stop my vehicle to look for the next available rest area....

I do hope someone comes out with an upgrade of some sort to fix issues like this. I understand making things safe, but, sheeeesh.

Now, I did not try looking it up via voice activation.....I should have....but was too frustrated with the fact that my passenger could not "use" my navi system while I was busy driving...

sheesh

It's a shame I know, it's the same way for a Ford Nav. system from '05 also. Here is another quirk, Friend of mine was on his motorcycle stopped right behind me one day. I was going to surprise him and open the back electric tailgate while we waited. You can't do that either unless it's in Park.

SYNC is just a brand name.

The underlying software is Windows Automotive 5.0, a version of Windows Embedded.

It doesn't really need to be hacked, Microsoft has made public the framework and an SDK for this. If you have the skills and the tools, just write your own objects and you have 100% control over the behavior of everything in your vehicle.

If you are a skilled developer, everything you need to know to take command of your SYNC system is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/wa5/default.mspx

I thought in some States/Provinces it was illegal to have a video screen playing in the front seat (ie in the drivers view) .

As for Ford ever making the options available on the fly, forget it. The legal liablility is just way to much for any company. I have no doubt that someone will modify the program and then have an accident and the legal sharks will sue Ford for not making the system hack proof. You just have to look at all the legal disclaimers on things like step ladders to plastic bags to see how personal responsibility is no longer part of our society. I hurt myself with a knife so it has to be someone elses fault. Look at Fords experience with tires on Explorers!

Personally I have enough problems driving behind morons typing messages in to their Palm/Blackberry or holding a conversation on a phone held to their head while looking for their exit on the highway. I don't need/want these same people watching the latest hollywood release while doing 70 mph down a winding highway.

A car is for driving and thats what deserves your full attention. You may be the best driver in the world but it is often the other driver that hits you while you were otherwise occupied. Not your fault (maybe) but you can still end up just as dead.

CorporateEdge might have a point here. Remember a few years back when a Dodge Durango driver installed a DVD movie and started watching it while driving?

I think it ended in a fatality, but I know for sure it ended in a lawsuit against DCX for allowing the navigation system to play movie DVDs.

Maybe they are doing this to avoid a lawsuit to types?

CorporateEdge might have a point here. Remember a few years back when a Dodge Durango driver installed a DVD movie and started watching it while driving?

I think it ended in a fatality, but I know for sure it ended in a lawsuit against DCX for allowing the navigation system to play movie DVDs.

Maybe they are doing this to avoid a lawsuit to types?

I concur ...BUT...the fact still remains that, I would love for a passenger to be able to work the Navi system while on a long trip if we need gas, or something like that...(as articulated in my previous post)

To me..that is a fault that needs to be corrected...

I, personally, don't think watching a DVD while driving would be very wise either....

Edited by npggirl

I concur ...BUT...the fact still remains that, I would love for a passenger to be able to work the Navi system while on a long trip if we need gas, or something like that...(as articulated in my previous post)

To me..that is a fault that needs to be corrected...

I, personally, don't think watching a DVD while driving would be very wise either....

================================================================================

=========

This is a big big negative...I agree!!! Ford Marketing missed the boat here...looks like the "legals" have taken over....

Maybe it could be considered "safer" to require the user to stop the vehicle....but then why not require the user to stop the vehicle to change the radio station or adjust the heat..come on...give us more credit.

This is a feature we have paid dearly for...my Garmin Nuvi360 doesn't have this kind of restriction...I love that device...

Ford follow Garmin....they are the maket leader in gps navigation..they allow these features during movement...and yes, you have to acknowledge the same BS at start up that you agree to the "safety concerns"

I remember using the Hertz "never Lost" system (total seat time 2+ weeks) ...they don't do this locking out of features...they just require you to agree to the risks involved..at "startup"..just like the Ford & Garmin Nuvi360 units have.

Ford please provide us a service update to give us back the features we paid for.

Who do I write to at Ford to resolve this?

We are the customers here...don't we have some say in what we want ....

So far this is the only negative I see in our 2008 Edge...

There is a wire harness hack available for the Prius. I guess there is a indicator wire from the car that tells the nav the car is moving. The harness is most likely just a pass through minus one wire. Question is how does the Ford nav know that it is moving? Does the car tell it or does the GPS position movement tell it. I guess a quick test would be to tape some aluminum over the antenna then drive and see if you can input destinations.