Navigation SD Card

Hi Everyone. So i own a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD with MyFordTouch however i do NOT have the Navigation installed / SD card. I found that you can actually buy the Navigation SD card on Ebay for fairly inexpensive. I have a few questions:

1. is "A4" the latest version of the Nav Software?
  2. What is the difference between A3 and A4?
  3. Do i need to first by version 1A or can i just buy the latest version and install it (reminder, i have no navigation software currently installed)
  4. If i buy the Nav SD card from Ebay do i simply just input the SD card in the SD slot and it will start working?

Anything you all can share will be highly appreciated.

Edited by cbrescia

If you Edge didn't come with Navigation then it wont work no matter what you do. You'll be able to tell if it came with it because without the card the right screen in the gauge cluster will show an error for the Navigation if it come programmed with Navigation. And if the MFT screen will say "Compass" in the right upper corner if your Edge didn't come with it as factory. Sorry wish it was that easy.

Edited by CinnamonEdge

Ahh. that is what i was afraid of. Yeah would be nice if it was that easy. Oh well. Scratch that idea. WAZE from my phone works perfectly fine, just thought i'd try and get the most out of MyFordTouch. Thanks for the fast replies.

Edited by cbrescia

Hi cbrescia,

Since akirby and CinnamonEdge already answered your original question, I just want to throw in that you can also purchase a 12 month subscription to SYNC Services for turn-by-turn directions. It's only $60. Here's a link for more information:

http://support.ford.com/topics/sync-technology-sync#topic-item-8

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rebecca

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and was purchased right after they came out. After I picked it up, I spent the whole day trying to get the navigation working. Took it back to the dealer and they found the nav system had not been loaded at the factory. It took the dealer about 4 hours to load the nav system at the dealership. So I know it can be done. I think it is a decision by Ford not to do so.

Of course Ford could do it if they wanted to, but they would have to make sure the dealers can't cheat the system and load nav without paying for it. So it's not as simple as just making the software available and selling the cards. Even the factory workers can't override it.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and was purchased right after they came out. After I picked it up, I spent the whole day trying to get the navigation working. Took it back to the dealer and they found the nav system had not been loaded at the factory. It took the dealer about 4 hours to load the nav system at the dealership. So I know it can be done. I think it is a decision by Ford not to do so.

It's one thing to have your VIN associated with having Nav and having it just not loaded correctly. It's a totally different thing to not have it associated with the VIN.

It's all about software licensing, if Ford could figure out a way to make sure everybody gets what they are due, they could make it available. Problem is there are just too many people out there that would find cheats that now nobody can have it.

• 2 months later...

Just purchased a 2011 Edge this past weekend. Before I drove off the lot (after purchase) I inserted the navigation sd card and got an error message. The window sticker from the dealer shows it is equipped with navigation. I also pulled up the sticker from the Ford site and it also shows to be equipped with Voive Activated Navigation System (rapid spec 301A). I've been reading throw thread after thread and I'm more confused then ever. What's consider "Nav System" and what is "MFT Nav"? Do I or don't I have TRUE navigation? NOT what uses my phone. I had a 2008 Explorer that had the nav system and the map was always visible on the screen...I want that!! I logged into my ford account and it shows that "Sync" is up to date, but does that affect/not affect why I'm getting the sd card error? I'm taking the vehicle back to the dealer tomorrow to have this checked and would like to have a little more information before I go. I don't want to get the run around, so I want to be sure I know what I'm talking about. :)

RTFM

Master reset is a menu option.

I did the master reset as suggested. Once it was done, I inserted the sd card...same error message "Navigation SD Card Fault - Insert valid SD Card". I noticed the card I have is an A3, could that be the problem? Or is there something else I can try?

Oh and was "RTFM" really necessary?? If you don't want to help, then don't post a response!

Edited by Barbidoll1175

It depends on your MFT version. You may need the A4 version.

The answer to how to do something is almost always available in the owners manual. Common courtesy suggests you should at least attempt to find the answer before asking someone else to look it up for you. You can usually find the answer faster yourself than waiting for someone to reply.

You can get the manuals online at motorcraftservice.com - easy to do a search and find something in just a couple of minutes.

I did the master reset as suggested. Once it was done, I inserted the sd card...same error message "Navigation SD Card Fault - Insert valid SD Card". I noticed the card I have is an A3, could that be the problem? Or is there something else I can try?

Oh and was "RTFM" really necessary?? If you don't want to help, then don't post a response!

I can take a look at your software and system information, Barbiedoll1175. Shoot over your VIN in a private message and we'll go from there. Also, congrats on your new-to-you Edge! :)

Rebecca