High beams won't stay on

We've had our 2013 Edge Sport since September, and we are still getting used to the technology. That said, we can't figure out what's up with the high beams. Regular headlights work fine. We don't do a lot of night driving, so it's difficult to say how long this has been going on. When we turn on the high beams, by pushing the lever forward, they flash but do not stay on.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance...

Patti

When you push the stalk forward, you mean towards the front of the vehicle, right? Pulling it will only flash the headlight. If you are actually pushing it forward, make sure you are not pushing it fast to the point that when the stalk s going back to its normal position, it might actually overshoot and go to the "pull" position (flash) causing the high beams to turn off. Hope you understand what I mean.

If the above is not your case, and you are sure you are pushing the stalk forward (towards the front of vehicle), and the stalk is returning to normal position, yet the high beams are turning off, then you'll need to take your car to a dealer.

Thanks to you both. Actually, it's on page 88 in our manual (copyright 2012). Maybe there are 3 extra pages in the US version (we live in Canada). Did not "overshoot". However, did not feel/hear the click of it engaging. I think we just need to take it in to the dealer. If we are doing it incorrectly, I'm sure they'll tell us! :doh:

Edited by themikkelsens

We experimented a bit more. It appears that if you switch the headlights from "auto" into the headlight position, then the high beams seemed to lock in like they are supposed to. Last night, when we discovered this issue, it had been raining. We remembered someone telling us you can't turn on the high beams when the fog lights are on. So, now we wonder if the reason the high beams would not come on last night is because the headlight sensor detected fog and turned on the fog lights. We are really just guessing at this point. We will definitely have it checked out (by the dealer) when we get home.

Could definitely have been the bounceback reflection from the fog.

Explain please?? Are you saying that the fog caused the headlights to reflect back onto the car? If so, could that prevent the high beams from locking in?

If we pushed the lever forward, the high beams would come on for a second and then go off. There was no click to signal that they had engaged (as others have said should happen)... except when we switched the lights from "auto".

There is not supposed to be any link. If the headlights are on (manually or automatically via the light sensor), the high beams should turn on (and remain on) as long as the headlights are still on. For fog lights (on an MKX, the 2011+ Edge does not have them), they will turn off when the high beams are tuned on, but not the opposite (turning on the fog lights will NOT turn off the high beams).

This is the normal operation, at least like what I have in my 2011 MKX. On an another note, checking the prices for the turn signal & high beam stalk, the 2011 & 2012 have a price, 2013 has a higher price, then 2014 has a different lower price. 2011/12 have the high beams operate by pulling to a 2nd indent, while 2013/14 have pull/push for flashing/turning on. So there is a chance that 2013 models have some errors and that would explain the change in the part.

Weird, that sounds exactly like what would happen if you had the auto-high beams that come on Lincolns, the Fusion and I think a couple other Fords. On those the high-beams won't stay on while the system is in "auto", but they will in regular "on".

But on the Edge, there should be no relation to the high beams and the headlamp or foglamp settings.

• Like 1

Waldo, What you describe is exactly what happened with our 2013 Edge Sport. In the "auto" setting, the high beams will not stay on. As to whether or not this car has "auto-dimming" headlights, I don't see any mention of this specific term in the "Headlamps" section of the book. Here is how that section reads:

"The autolamp system provides light sensitive automatic on-off control of the exterior lights normally controlled by the headlamp control."
Regarding fog lamps, the dealer told us the car was equipped with them. And I see them mentioned in the "Symbol Glossary", on page 10 of the owners' manual, but not in the section on Lighting. And I don't see this symbol on the auto itself. So, I wonder if it really has them.