Ecoboost and Octane

I almost ordered my Edge with Ecoboost. Partly at the urging of Fred of Evolution Performance in Aston, PA who raves about his 2.0 in his Fusion. That is until I noticed he pumped 93 octane in it. I looked up the specs on the HP and torque results and I noticed that they were achieved with 93 octane and that Ford recommends 91+.

So, I decided that the difference in MPG was not worth the difference in paying the price of 93 octane.

Can anyone elaborate if they are running 87 octane and are happy with the performance?

Welcome to the forum!

My wife has the 2.0 Ecoboost Edge and I drive it when we take our family of four around on weekends. I can tell you it, I doesn't feel like a four banger but feels like a V6, the tranny is also smooth. My wife puts mid grade, but the SA told her to just put 87 and premium ever 4th tank or so. Drive both and see if which one you like.

When the current mid grade tank runs out I will have to drive it and report here if I notice any difference.

Edited by Atlantan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 2.0EB can take 87 or 93 and the ECU will adjust the timing based on the type of fuel you use. You will get slightly better performance and fuel economy with 93, but the added few bucks the fillup will cost you makes it a wash.

I use premium because I like the extra kick on highway merging. It certainly does not feel like a 4 banger. It will throw you back in your seat at lower speeds and will easily spin the tires at a stop. It isn't quite as strong at highway speeds. Livernois released a 2.0EB tune for Fusion, but Edge uses the older revision ECU so it isn't compatible... but they were able to gain about 10hp and 55tq with just a tune!

To affirm what the others are saying, I only use 87 octane in my Edge 2.0 EB. The 93 octane will net about 3 extra horsepower (not sure on torque), I really believe the only difference you'll feel is placebo effect. The torque in the naturally aspirated 3.5 V-6 is less.

It has plenty of power, and I am getting good enough mileage that I cannot believe going up to 93 octane would have a measurable difference. The only drawback I can see is if you want to use it to pull something, as the tow rating on the EB is far less than that of either the 3.5 or 3.7 V-6. Well, that and the extra cost up front for the Ecoboost.

It must be only the Fusion Ecoboost that has 93 octane recommendation because I just checked my owner's manual and it says 87 octane is recommended. It says premium fuel will provide better performance and is recommended for severe duty such as towing (not that the Ecoboost is rated to tow much).

We have always used 87 octane and not only can we get 30+ mpg when desired but my wife also beat a V6 Challenger light-to-light without hardly trying (one of the funniest things I've ever seen her do). The power (torque actually) is there even with regular gas.