Gas Mileage 2007 Ford edge

Smiley

375 miles driven , 17.77 gallons filled to top off. Average speed via the computer was 66 mph driven on the Jersey turnpike. Three adults , three bikes on a rear hitch rack and plenty of cycling gear. Computer said I averaged 22.3 mpg

ACTUAL MPG is 21.1 doing no less the 80 mph on the turnpike with no A/C running .

Edge has just under 4800 miles now, Oh its a front wheel drive car too.

I drove 1700mi through Big Sur Ca on HWY 101 then 1.. Took HWY 50 to Tahoe, Nevada’s Carson city and Virginia City back to Tahoe, then to Yosemite, then back to Tahoe, around the lake the next day and on the 6th day went back to Canoga Park by way of HWY 395 through Bishop down by Death Valley, then down HWY 14 through Red Rock Canyon back to HWY 5 south to HWY 118.

I only got 18 mpg, but know, I out ran everyone that thought they could keep up. The big v8's couldn't keep up with the szone in the curves and the 4 and 6 bangers just couldn't keep up. I drove speeds in excess of the recommended speed by law. Also I used the cruse control to keep me form excessive brake usage. I never have been more satisfied with the amount of money I had to spend on a single object. You can buy your own, I'm keeping mine:)

Edited by szone

Folks,

What would you say if I told you that after 50 miles, the computer said I was getting 9 miles/gallon? is that normal for a break in period or New York driving?

I'd say the computer is wrong. I don't think you can get that low unless you let it set in the driveway and idle out a tank of gas. But then again are you talking New York City or New York driving. In the city that could be accurate at least in my experience with the Apple. Now about everywhere else in the state of New York driving is fine in my opinion, and that mileage should be much better.

My FWD does 21.3 avg and 23ish straight interstate long runs 70-80 mph two people 1 dog no A/C and luggage for a week out.

SRE

375 miles driven , 17.77 gallons filled to top off. Average speed via the computer was 66 mph driven on the Jersey turnpike. Three adults , three bikes on a rear hitch rack and plenty of cycling gear. Computer said I averaged 22.3 mpg

ACTUAL MPG is 21.1 doing no less the 80 mph on the turnpike with no A/C running .

Edge has just under 4800 miles now, Oh its a front wheel drive car too.

Smiley are you a BMXer?

SRE

Folks,

What would you say if I told you that after 50 miles, the computer said I was getting 9 miles/gallon? is that normal for a break in period or New York driving?

The Edge I test drove had about 130 miles and was sitting at 11.9 MPG. I asked the salesman about it. He said it was all rest when the vehicle arrived on their lot and with all the stop and go city driving (test drives), it was probably accurate.

I do almost all city driving and float around 17 - 17.5 MPG.

Give it a few hundred miles and see what it says.

That's almost impossible to believe. It's rated higher than the Fed. Gov. standards that only test highway milage at 50 MPH. and here you state it's with the A/C on.

I'd believe you more if you listed a mileage log of what your mileage was on each tank. and the number of gallons you put in at each fill.

I can get a number like that to if I hit reset and drive for 10 miles and see it state 28. Then it drops when I start to slow and do some real world driving.

Sorry, your mileage is to far out to be believable even for a FWD

You didn't read the 2008 test procedure, did you? It now includes (at least some) A/C use and an acceleration up to 80 mph.

Kirby, i don't give a rat's flying butt what it states, I've given the example of what mileage is or how to tell others what you have.

WHAT are your mileage numbers?

Wait i just checked mine and now I'm getting 32 mpg with AWD... care to top that one? I said I got 32, want to believe me or not?

What do you want me to say? I'm not going to sugar coat anything, if the Fed. gov. does the mileage numbers at up to 80 MPH and with air on and comes out and says a FWD gets 24 on the highway and an AWD gets 23. you may beat those by 1-2, but no 28 MPG. Mileage is more dependant on Tire pressure and Right foot than anything else.

Kirby tried to thrown some words in, but his point wasn't made. Actually it was useless because according to him the published numbers used an 80, air and only gets 24, WITHOUT PEOPLE IN IT AND NO AIR RESISTANCE. Basically, I don't think I've ever seen one post from Kirby where he even talked that he HAD an Edge. As far as I know he just frequents Ford message boards and likes to talk the most about x-plan's because he is employed with a "Partner" to Ford.

When you deal with people that say some thing's like, I get 28, or help, my HID won't work. and that's it. You can always send one liners back and forth, or you can make your point with all the info.

The 19-year-old EPA tests for city and highway mileage actually gauge vehicle emissions and use that data to derive an estimated fuel-efficiency rating. The EPA tests pre-production vehicles in a lab to simulate vehicle starts and stops on crowded city streets and open road conditions. According to the EPA website, "The tests measure the waste substances emitted from consuming the fuel, not the actual fuel consumed. From the measurement of emissions, EPA can estimate the miles per gallon achieved by the vehicle on average."

Your mileage may still vary, but at least EPA estimates will soon give you more realistic expectations. For the first time in 28 years, the EPA is updating the testing procedures used to calculate the average miles per gallon estimates that auto makers use to advertise their vehicles.

Read it: Learn it: Live it:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

What do you want me to say? I'm not going to sugar coat anything, if the Fed. gov. does the mileage numbers at up to 80 MPH and with air on and comes out and says a FWD gets 24 on the highway and an AWD gets 23. you may beat those by 1-2, but no 28 MPG. Mileage is more dependant on Tire pressure and Right foot than anything else.

Kirby tried to thrown some words in, but his point wasn't made. Actually it was useless because according to him the published numbers used an 80, air and only gets 24, WITHOUT PEOPLE IN IT AND NO AIR RESISTANCE. Basically, I don't think I've ever seen one post from Kirby where he even talked that he HAD an Edge. As far as I know he just frequents Ford message boards and likes to talk the most about x-plan's because he is employed with a "Partner" to Ford.

When you deal with people that say some thing's like, I get 28, or help, my HID won't work. and that's it. You can always send one liners back and forth, or you can make your point with all the info.

You need to chill. All I was correcting was your incorrect statement about the test procedure. I wasn't commenting one way or the other about the MPG claims.

I never said I had an Edge, nor do I remember that being a prerequisite for posting here. I'm planning to purchase either an Edge or MKX in the next 6 months - not that it's any of your business.

And you seem to be the one dropping one liners and insults all over the place, not me.

Get over it.

I have an Edge and just rolled over 3800 miles on it. Yesterday I filled up in Springfield IL and while driving back to Moscow Mills Mo I avg 24.2. NO A/C obviously, Highway 74 Limit 65 I had the cruise on 70. Highway 54 through Pittsfiled IL Louisianna Mo and on to Bowling Green MO two lane limit 60 with lots of little towns at 30 mph. I drove that stretch with the Right Foot, and then highway 61 south from Bowling Green to Moscow Mills limit 60 had cruise on 60. Lots of Cops due to many accidents resulting in deaths on 61. No need to chance it. This is my best Fuel Mileage so far.

I do notice that when the Low Fuel Warning comes on that the first shut off at the pump is usually 15.5 to 16 gallons. I can squeeze up to 19.4 gallons in it. I suspect the pump is calibrated in the stations favor because mine says it holds 19.2 gallons. Maybe I get .2 in the neck but then again it isn't completely empty either. So what gives?

SRE

The Edge I test drove had about 130 miles and was sitting at 11.9 MPG. I asked the salesman about it. He said it was all rest when the vehicle arrived on their lot and with all the stop and go city driving (test drives), it was probably accurate.

I do almost all city driving and float around 17 - 17.5 MPG.

Give it a few hundred miles and see what it says.

Yeah, I only have like 335 miles on mine so far, ALL city driving, and the "comuter" is reading 14.3 average.

So, I think it will go up as I break it in...

Yeah, I only have like 335 miles on mine so far, ALL city driving, and the "comuter" is reading 14.3 average.

So, I think it will go up as I break it in...

Did you reset at zero at your first fill-up?

Also, you might find it interesting to reset again just before you go on a long (lots of freeway) drive. Just to compare.

One thing I have noticed with Mine - having the A/C on really effects the MPG.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, I now have over 7500 miles on my Edge which was delivered around Sept 10 th and I average around 19-22 mpg combined and I am driving the car like I don't care about the mpg and ITS GREAT. If I work on keeping my foot off the acellarator I am sure I can do better but now I know that this car does what they say it will do the rest is on me.

Most of my work mates always comment on how comfortable this car is and thats really why I bought the Edge in the first place.

BTW the comment about my bikes, these were road bikes with two BIG fellow riders that weekend in Jersey horse country where we were riding with friends. Enjoy your Edges and give them time to break in.

I travel every week and always get around 23-24.9 avg and I drive the legal limit plus 5 mph. I usually pedal mine but sometimes I use the cruise control.

I never have checked town driving because I live out in the woods and everything I do is on some major road. Well not everything I do! sometimes I mow the yard.

SRE