Wiring for Paddle Shifters - Sport & non-Sport

omar302

Would someone be kind enough to check/confirm if their are any differences in the wirings between an Edge Sport with Paddle Shifters & a regular Edge without Paddles?

I have a 2011 MKX, without paddle shifters, & would like to add them by changing the steering wheel to a 2013 that came with. I was able to confirm that the clocksprings & Airbags are the same for vehicle with & without Paddle Shifters, but would like more confirmation if possible.

Background:

On the 2011-2014 Explorer, there is a "TOW/HAUL" mode button that comes with the Tow Package, it was found out that by just replacing the switch to one that includes the TOW/Haul buttons will enable the mode without any further modification. So I am hoping that the same goes for the Paddle Shifters, that its only a signal that if present, will work.

My question on the 2011 Edge is because it is the most straight forward comparison, all other wirings should be identical between them in the steering wheel except for the added Paddle Shifters on the Sport (given both have the same options).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, was able to remove & installed a steering wheel from a 2013 with paddle shifters, the paddles light up but don't work. All other buttons work fine. I checked the pins on the clock spring, and all additional pins are present, but couldn't check the other end to see if there are wires for them.

Waldo, sorry to ask & I don't mean to be sceptical, just want to make sure, do you mean the wires are there & near a dealer to configure the paddles to work? Or is it a guess/idea?

He's telling you the software in the PCM isn't processing the signals becuase it doesn't expect there to be paddle shifters.

And he's definitely not guessing. Hopefully it's just an option in the pcm config and not a whole new program. Either way the dealer would have to do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Akirby... that's good to know. I was leaning towards a whole ecm reprogramming. But I think there's others lines of code design for the version with the paddles. Maybe even slightly different programming for the tranny. That's just a guess. Too bad the op was not successful thought. I would have attempted it myself. I would go to a different dealer and get a 2nd and even a 3rd go at it if money was not a issue.

Edited by 2011edgese

if anyone does have the wire diagrams please post them here. I still think it's a ecm programming deal. The dealer he went to probably does not have the training to do this. They can most likely flag the SEL model programming but risk bugs on other components stuck as tranny and other programming related parts. And that's something the dealer does not want anything to do with. Our at least management won't allow it. That's why I think he should go to another dealer and explain to them the project and pay the hour rate to flash and reflash.

We only have 1 dealer in Qatar. So trying a different dealer is not possible.

Several things to consider:

1- I know the clockspring has the additional pins, it is the same part for vehicles equipped with & without paddles, but I am not sure wires are present after the clockspring.

2- I don't believe programming would be different, since the paddles don't really add a new function, they do the same job as the +/- switch on the shift knob. The only added feature is the ability to temporarily shift while in 'D' compared to shifting only in 'M' or 'S' for the +/- switch.

Considering the above, I would be more inclined to think it's a wiring thing. So to be sure, is it easy to remove the clock spring to check? Would appreciate a simple how to.

Thanks.

We only have 1 dealer in Qatar. So trying a different dealer is not possible.

Several things to consider:

1- I know the clockspring has the additional pins, it is the same part for vehicles equipped with & without paddles, but I am not sure wires are present after the clockspring.

2- I don't believe programming would be different, since the paddles don't really add a new function, they do the same job as the +/- switch on the shift knob. The only added feature is the ability to temporarily shift while in 'D' compared to shifting only in 'M' or 'S' for the +/- switch.

Considering the above, I would be more inclined to think it's a wiring thing. So to be sure, is it easy to remove the clock spring to check? Would appreciate a simple how to.

I agree if you already have the button shifters then the programming is there, but if there are two different sets of wiring then the software would be looking for the wrong one. You can fix that by swapping the wires which you already know.

On models where there are no shift buttons already then you usually have to get it reflashed. We did this on the Lincoln LS in the early 2000s (the first Ford model to use Selectshift BTW).

• Like 1

Here's a video for a 2007:

But you can also lookup the 2011 free Chilton manual online, through the INFOTRAC url on this page:

http://hmcpl.org/dat...eference-center

Thanks WWWPerfA_ZN0W, unfortunately the infotrac does not work for me, it seems there is an IP issue from my country. But from the video it seems simple, the wiring & clock spring look very similar to the 2011. Will try to see it when I have some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the wiring diagrams related to the paddles/shifter for the Edge/MKX (attached both, 2011 & 2013). It seems that the same wires are used for the shifter knob +/- switch and the paddles (RE407 & CET42/CET43), the difference being that the same wires (with Paddle shifters) would go through the "Steering Column Control Module". But what I cannot figure out from the diagram is whether the wires for the paddles are only present if the vehicle originally came with them (since they are being labeled so). Also, how come the wires going to the shifter are always there even when the paddles are present.

If anyone can shed more light I would be grateful, but from the looks of it, since they are the same wires, it is not a matter of PCM reprogramming, but rewiring and/or reconnections.

Edge Trans Control Wiring Diagram.pdf

Edge Trans Control Wiring Diagram 2013.pdf

• 2 weeks later...