Order To Delivery Times

AiryLarry

I ordered about 3 weeks ago. I have a car coming off lease in about a month. Should my timing be about right on this?

For the record:

Vapor Silver Limited

Charcoal Leather

DVD Navigation

Panorama Roof

Cargo Management

Floor Mats

Sirius

Held off on:

Red leather - Why it is an option on the silver vehicle - blech

Power liftgate - Couldn't justify $500 to have the liftgate go up at a push of a button $250-300 might have done it

Trailer Towing - Nothing to tow

Needless to say I'm psyched.

Edited by AiryLarry

Your wait may not be the 7-8 weeks that the dealer has suggested. I ordered my 08 MKX LTD Monochrome on September 19th and it was at the dealer on October 9th. My salesman indicated at the time of ordering that it would be approximately 8 weeks (which would be timed around our lease end). Needless to say both the salesman and I were surprised at the quick turnaround. I am happy with the shortened wait since the MKX (and I suspect the Edge) is a really sweet ride!

The dealer is best equiped to provide an estimate because they control much of the scheduling priority. An order will not be scheduled until the dealership has allocation and the commodities are available to build the unit. If the dealership has already submitted orders for more than their allocation, or for other vehicles with higher priorities than they placed on your unit, the delay might be longer than others have experienced.

BAMR is currently high risk - higher order volume than can be scheduled. Hopefully they took that into consideration when they gave you a timing estimate.

I ordered about 3 weeks ago. I have a car coming off lease in about a month. Should my timing be about right on this?

For the record:

Vapor Silver Limited

Charcoal Leather

DVD Navigation

Panorama Roof

Cargo Management

Floor Mats

Sirius

Held off on:

Red leather - Why it is an option on the silver vehicle - blech

Power liftgate - Couldn't justify $500 to have the liftgate go up at a push of a button $250-300 might have done it

Trailer Towing - Nothing to tow

Needless to say I'm psyched.

FYI - It came in today - Like the other poster - at about 5 weeks on the nose!

Will be picking up on Friday!

• 2 weeks later...
FYI - It came in today - Like the other poster - at about 5 weeks on the nose!

Will be picking up on Friday!

Well, I am envious of you all. My dealership told me 6-8 weeks.

After 4 weeks, I decided to give them a call and see if I could get status. First guy I spoke to said around Dec 17. Then I was called the next day and told the 'week of' Dec 21st!!

That puts me right about 8 weeks, closer to 9 :wacko:

Follow up on Fridays - Ford updates scheduling and reporting each Thru. evening.

Order to delivery timing has a lot of variables -

Does the dealer have allocation for the next months production?

Are you ordering high risk options (BAMR)?

Did the dealer order as a retail or stock unit?

What priority did the dealer put on the order (10-99)?

Did the dealer convert a stock order (already in the system) to your retail order?

Did the dealer hold the order before putting it in? (Order manager out ?)

Is the plant down for changeover/vacation?

and many more.

All things the dealership would know about if they checked their bulletins, and/or control themselves.

YMMV.

Follow up on Fridays - Ford updates scheduling and reporting each Thru. evening.

Order to delivery timing has a lot of variables -

Does the dealer have allocation for the next months production?

Are you ordering high risk options (BAMR)?

Did the dealer order as a retail or stock unit?

What priority did the dealer put on the order (10-99)?

Did the dealer convert a stock order (already in the system) to your retail order?

Did the dealer hold the order before putting it in? (Order manager out ?)

Is the plant down for changeover/vacation?

and many more.

All things the dealership would know about if they checked their bulletins, and/or control themselves.

Wow, I really didn't know I could ask these type of questions, so sadly, I have no idea.

While I am so jonesing to get my hands on my order, in a way, another 2-3 weeks from now isn't gonna kill me. I figure with all the Christmas shopping going on right now, I am not necessarily eager to start car payments that I haven't had in over 6 years now. :shades:

Is there a place where Rodeo's go to die? Mine is 11+ years now.

Well, today is Friday and I called my dealership....

Asked for my VIN number or any information to track order....After being apssed around to a few people on the phone, I had the sense no one there knew they could do this. I even spoke with the 'manager'. All he did was take my name and number and said he'd have my sales associate call me when he was available.

:banghead:

Update: Well, I was finally able to speak with my salesperson today. He said he'd call me back later with my VIN number (not yet), but the best update he could now give me is that my Edge is currently in Texas, and could be possibly here next week, but he thinks before the 20th at the latsest now.

Edited by jaysonol

Ordered a 2008 via our fleet provider. My order went in to the provider 10/26. Noted on system as recieved by Ford 11/02. Picked it up at the dealer on 11/27/07. That makes it under 4 weeks but note that I live 10 miles from the Oakville Ontario Ford plant and the dealer could almost walk over and pick up the cars. Also the power of a fleet buyer who deals with Ford direct. They put in a large volume order for our company directly with Ford and the dealerships were strictly for delivery/prep purposes.

Where are they making the Edge in the USA ? (if at all). It looks like the Oakville plant is doing a 3 week turn around on orders so 8-10 weeks seems a little long if its sourced in the Eastern USA.

Where are they making the Edge in the USA ? (if at all). It looks like the Oakville plant is doing a 3 week turn around on orders so 8-10 weeks seems a little long if its sourced in the Eastern USA.

There Not, Canada is the only place. But you have to also say exactly what options you got. How many were ordered? Everyone exactly alike? Same color? 100 vehicles? Was this order a cyclic one? IE - each year the company places a 100 car order for the same SE red model's etc.? Since you are 10 miles from the plant does make a difference.

Almost every other N. American manufacturer averages about 6 weeks from the time a person walks in the door, to when a car shows on the lot. That's not all that long. But also consider that train shipments have to be scheduled and that does add to delivery time to each coast and points in between. Not every vehicle leaves the plant on a car carrier to each dealership.

• 4 weeks later...

We ordered on Dec 7 changed our order, and took delivery last night Dec 29! Unbelieveable! This is the way Ford needs to do business to get itself back on track. After a day we're thrilled with the Edge. If everything stays like this for the next few year of ownership than Ill say that things are definitely better! cheers to the hard working people of Ford getting out a nice product in quick turnaround time. I should mention that this was an XPLAN purchase, not sure if that sped things up though...

Edgieguy, congrat's on the the new vehicle and I agree totally that Ford definitely seems to have its **it together on the production and delivery front. Where are you located relative to the Oakville Ontario plant? If your a distance and your choice was a fairly stock unit it might have come off the dealers assigned inventory or from another area dealer (unit swap between dealers). Any way you cut it Ford seems to be satisfying its customers.

07 MKX - My order was one of 5 that I know of (might have been others from other parts of the country) All the orders went in to the fleet company the same week and I believe they entered them with ford on the same day. All the units were identical except for colour combinations. The units were SEL's with the Navi and back up sensors being company mandated/supplied "options". Our fleet policy is they order once a year. Cars are kept 120,000 km or 3 years. If you are close to the limits when they get ready to order you get an email telling you what your choices are and when to get the order in by. Miss the order date, wait another year. I am fairly confident that all the units were produced to order as the delivery times for all the units were slightly different and seem to increase in time lag based on the distance from Oakville.

Edgieguy, congrat's on the the new vehicle and I agree totally that Ford definitely seems to have its **it together on the production and delivery front. Where are you located relative to the Oakville Ontario plant? If your a distance and your choice was a fairly stock unit it might have come off the dealers assigned inventory or from another area dealer (unit swap between dealers). Any way you cut it Ford seems to be satisfying its customers.

07 MKX - My order was one of 5 that I know of (might have been others from other parts of the country) All the orders went in to the fleet company the same week and I believe they entered them with ford on the same day. All the units were identical except for colour combinations. The units were SEL's with the Navi and back up sensors being company mandated/supplied "options". Our fleet policy is they order once a year. Cars are kept 120,000 km or 3 years. If you are close to the limits when they get ready to order you get an email telling you what your choices are and when to get the order in by. Miss the order date, wait another year. I am fairly confident that all the units were produced to order as the delivery times for all the units were slightly different and seem to increase in time lag based on the distance from Oakville.

Maybe... But the VIN we got was the one delivered to us so I thought it got built for us. We're in New Jersey Just outside NYC. We ordered a AWD Limited in White Sand, Black interior with BAMR and 20"s. date of maunufacter is 12/07

Maybe... But the VIN we got was the one delivered to us so I thought it got built for us. We're in New Jersey Just outside NYC. We ordered a AWD Limited in White Sand, Black interior with BAMR and 20"s. date of maunufacter is 12/07

Hi Edgieguy. :D Yes, "CorporateEdge" is correct. Essentially, there is no way that a vehicle which was "Factory Ordered" on 12/7 arrived in time for a 12/29 delivery.

Let's look at it this way, you say you ordered on 12/7, and that the build date was also 12/7.

It would be impossible to have "New Factory Order" like yours, be built the same day as the order was placed. You received a matching vehicle that was previously ordered (probably 3-4 weeks before you ever ordered yours).

Your Edge either came in off the dealers assigned inventory or from another area dealer (unit swap between dealers, as CorporateEdge stated). On a "Factory Order", we are looking at a 6-8 week lead time.

In addition, you state that "the VIN we got was the one delivered to us so I thought it got built for us." When was that VIN given to you. at the time you "ordered". VINS are not assigned until several steps into the order/production process. Usually you are looking at getting a VIN at least 2-3 weeks (if you are lucky) after you order. You had your new vehicle home in your driveway about then. :headscratch:

Either way, it really does not matter. As long as you are happy! (by the way, I live in NJ also!)

Good luck, Happy New Year and many happy miles with your new Edge! :beerchug:

PS - There is a simple way to find out this information, if you care to. Post your VIN in the "Vehicle Locator by Ford Employees" forum. There, they will be able to give you each important date in your vehicle's production run. Just start a "New Topic" with your request.

Edited by bbf2530

Here is what I just ordered today Jan 3...

loaded '08 Edge Limited in CA

FWD

White Sand

Black Leather

Sync

Premium Package

Seating Flex

Vista roof

DVD Nav system

Power lift-gate

Cargo management

Sirius

the clock is ticking.....

UPDATE: very next day - Jan 4 - I had a fax from the dealer showing Ford had received the order and issued the VIN number already

Edited by Lex Talionis

I ordered mine on roughly Nov 10th.

It's scheduled build date is Jan 14, '08 according to the dealer. Although I get the impression that "Build Date" has different meanings between the dealers and the factory. I am tracking this at BlueOvalNews under the same user name. I anticipate that I'll have the vehicle by the end of Jan.

Talk about a lot of waiting. The positive side is that I feel like I've already gone through the "buyer's remorse" phase. lol. :yup:

Shizzy, that seems like a long wait given the other posts on this forum. I wonder if they shut the plant down over the holidays rather than fight staffing issues? I would expect you to have the car in 6-8 weeks not wait that long for production. strange.

Good luck with the new wheels.

PS - go out and get snow tires if you drive in the white stuff at all. the stock ones are horrible in even a little bit of snow based on our front wheel drive SEL.

I dont think that it was built on the 7th of December, I think the two digits are month and year of production....

I dont think that it was built on the 7th of December, I think the two digits are month and year of production....

Edgieguy, you are correct (if you are talking about the date on the door jamb sticker). The date on the door jamb sticker is the month and year of production, not the day and month.

But again, there is no way that you ordered an Edge on 12/7 and had it built anytime in December. It will take several weeks after you place an order, just to go through the Serialize, Segment, Sequence and Blend phases of production planning. Then it still has to be built. Then it has to be loaded on a rail car (this rarely happens immediately after production, it can sit for many days in a marshaling yard), then it has to be shipped by rail and then car carrier to your Dealer. To top it all off, all of this had to be accomplished in a month where the plants were shut down for the Christmas/New Year Holiday.

This process does not take 22 days, ever. Not even in a non-Holiday month.

The Edge you purchased was either transferred from another Dealer, or came in as a Stock Order that happened to be optioned just as you wanted it.

Either way, I wish you many miles of safe and happy driving.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530