Poor MPG

Nozlnut

I have a 2007 Edge SEL AWD with 4000 miles. I drive 80% city. I'm getting just over 14 mpg. Anyone else have similar mileage?

My 07 has had a wide spead on the fuel milage. It has done as badly as 13 mpg in bumper to bumper, then 80 mph, then back to zero Boston rush hour traffic.

On the other hand, a nice easy highway ride from NH to Pa returned 26 mpg for a 2 way average.

I find it also has a lot to do with the type of gas that you use. In my wifes SEL+ fwd in town only is usually around 17-18 mpg. On the highway it'll get 21-27 mpg depending on speed, wind, and outside temp. Another thing that I have found, is if you use the 10% ethonal blend your mpg goes down. I run the 10% ethonal most of the time, but I recently did a comparison on a road trip of 350 miles each way. On the first leg of the trip I filled up with 10% blend and ran interstate at 78 mph in the flatlands of the midwest. The temp was in the mid 50s and no wind. I got just over 22 mpg. Which I didn't think was too bad. On the way back I filled up with regular 89 octane gas. Temps and wind about the same. I set the cruise at the same speed of 78 mph. The Edge returned just over 25 mpg.

So if you live in an area that gives you the option, try 89 octane rather then the 92. If you live in smog areas where they add ethanol to all the gas to help with emisions then you are S.O.L.

I also found on that trip when the miles on the Distance till Empty show 0. You have about 1/2 a gallon of gas left. So head the warning of the gas gauge.

Ours can be quite poor in the city. We have catback exhaust and the desire to lean on the gas harder is there. It is quite peppy and fun to drive hard. Its like a go cart. 14mpg in LA traffic is common. freeway is quite good though 24-26mpg.

Over Thanksgiving, we traveled about 100 miles into a brisk headwind that kept us in 5th gear. It only shifted to 6th a couple of times. Averaged only 17mpg for that stretch

• 2 weeks later...
Ours can be quite poor in the city. We have catback exhaust and the desire to lean on the gas harder is there. It is quite peppy and fun to drive hard. Its like a go cart. 14mpg in LA traffic is common. freeway is quite good though 24-26mpg.

Over Thanksgiving, we traveled about 100 miles into a brisk headwind that kept us in 5th gear. It only shifted to 6th a couple of times. Averaged only 17mpg for that stretch

Had ours for 2 weeks now...Mileage is increasing...last tank of gas (regular nothing special) 21-22 80-90% highway(some flat , but mostly hilly (upsate NY) driving)...10-30F degree outside temperature. This is an AWD SEL loaded with 18's. Based on this latest mileage....feeling that we should avg. 24+ during warmer weather. No special driving style to get improved mileage...at times speed spiked up to 85mph on the highway...most of the time on the interstate 72ish.....just at the threshhold to keep the Police content.

We do many trips from LA to Vegas and Arizona. Usually average about 25-26 at fwy speeds. However, once you go above 80mph, the mileage starts decreasing significantly. A strong headwind has been the only thing that has greatly dropped HWY mpg.

i have just over 2000 miles and mostly do city driving. i just about baby this car and i have not seen 16mpg at all. take offs are slow. did one road trip and got about 23mpg. took it to the dealer concerning this false ad on the mpg. checked out car and says nothing is reading on the codes. they said it still has to break in. that i dont believe. absolutely love the car but wish it would get at least 16mpg. will keep hoping it improves.

took it to the dealer concerning this false ad on the mpg. checked out car and says nothing is reading on the codes. they said it still has to break in. that i dont believe. absolutely love the car but wish it would get at least 16mpg. will keep hoping it improves.

Why don't you believe it? Every Ford duratec owner has the same experience - takes up to 5K to break in fully.

And if you think the mpg ratings are false advertising, think again. Those aren't Ford's numbers on the sticker - they're the EPA numbers that Ford is required to post. Not only that - they don't guarantee you'll get those numbers - too many variables. Read the fine print and talk to the EPA if you don't like them.

i have just over 2000 miles and mostly do city driving. i just about baby this car and i have not seen 16mpg at all. take offs are slow. did one road trip and got about 23mpg. took it to the dealer concerning this false ad on the mpg. checked out car and says nothing is reading on the codes. they said it still has to break in. that i dont believe. absolutely love the car but wish it would get at least 16mpg. will keep hoping it improves.

I am right at 2000 miles and mine is getting about 18.5 city...ALL city. I drive in the city all the time. So, it has already improved some over the 16.2 I was getting when I only had 34 miles on it...

Like I said in another post....

( is the moderator going to merge these 'like' posts? )

Just got back from trip to Brownsville thru Corpus Cristi, I have 5300 miles on the OD and averaged 23.5 @ 60-65MPH. Lots of Texas law on I37 and R77.

Heading toward San Angelo this afternoon and will probably open it up to 90 or more to see what it'll do.

It gets pretty lonely out in the middle of Texas, very few state law out there and I want to see how she does.

5100+ miles, mostly city driving with slight downhill to work, and most of the lights are sync'd so I get 21.9mpg per fill. When we're doing the weekend chores and put the the indicator on mpg it drops to 19 or so. This car does not like stop and go at all. I have not really seen much of an increase in mileage with the break in.

The last freeway trip saw mileage in the 24+mpg range all very flat with a repeat trip in the spring to compare to (low miles to "high" miles). Hopefully a Flagstaff trip in January but that is tough one as it's all up hill on the way there and coasting on the way back. Somehow it does not quite average out.

Hi Y'all-

I just returned from a round trip - Plano to San Angelo via I20 and R277. Managed a healthy 22 to 23 MPG @ 65MPH on I20. I used my calculator, not the trip computer.

I opened it up on a dry 20 mile stretch of R277 near Bronte and the OD sat pegged at 95/96MPH. The tach stayed constant, no rev bounce.

Is there a governor on this thing or what??

The trip back was normal and the MPG over 615 miles was 22MPG (some city driving in there.

Drove at 65-70MPH most of the way. Lots of Texsas Law on I20.

I have about 6400 miles on my Edge and nary a flaw!

Except I am concerned that FOMOCO put a governor on my (leased) car!

I think that "city" driving is different for many of us. Here in LA, city driving is a stoplight every 1/4 - 1/2 mile(which you usually get stuck at). Sometimes having to wait 3 or 4 lights to make a left. A 5 mile trip could take 1/2 an hour. That isn't even the freeway crawl. Many of the big cities are the same way, but "city" for others may be much more wide open leading to the higher mpg. Just a thought.........

I opened it up on a dry 20 mile stretch of R277 near Bronte and the OD sat pegged at 95/96MPH. The tach stayed constant, no rev bounce.

Is there a governor on this thing or what??

Except I am concerned that FOMOCO put a governor on my (leased) car!

There is a governor, but mine topped out at 111 mph. Maybe a lease is reprogrammed or something, I don't know, but I'm sure someone out there does. I think Car & Driver lists the top speed at 111 as well.

There is a governor, but mine topped out at 111 mph. Maybe a lease is reprogrammed or something, I don't know, but I'm sure someone out there does. I think Car & Driver lists the top speed at 111 as well.

I wonder what your mpg was at 111mph? Probably quite poor!

I do know that leased vehicles can have the computer reprogrammed the same way it can be done for added performance. Leasing companies probably get a better liability insurance for under 100 mph or something??..

I wonder what your mpg was at 111mph? Probably quite poor!

I'm sure it was, but that was the least of my worries at the time.

Plus, with a right foot as heavy as mine, maximizing mpg is not possible. You have to pay to play, but all things considered, I'm getting 17-18 around town (defined as a 20 minute commute to work averaging probably around 35-40 mph most of the way with about 15 traffic light intersections with some stop and go during the last 5 lights). I typically drive 0 to the speed limit (+5 to 10 mph) not as quickly as it will go, but close, or as fast as the traffic ahead of me. The Edge is too fun to drive!

i have been keeping track manually with fuel mileage. about 99% city driving and around 13-14.5 mpg.

i dont look at the console with the read out.(it is not accurate at all)

usually it is ranging around 135-145 miles per half tank.

i dont have a heavy foot.

i am going for my first oil change. 3000miles on it.

i have the faith it will improve with time and miles.